Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is holding back the top speed of the ZX-6R?
Besides HP and Gearing?
Stock Air Filter / Dual Butter Fly throttle body
Stock Exhaust with Cat
What is choking it down on the top end? I have read it gets to 150 easily then struggles to
a top speed of 164mph. So that last 14mph is it because is it choked down and can it be
opened up to get more on the top end?
I would assume doing this would loose your low end torque somewhat?

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Drag goes up at the cube of speed….. Sport bikes are not highly aerodynamic so they face a natural upper speed limit. If you have desire to run above 150 for more than a few seconds, buy more displacement to get more HP. Or build a streamliner type fairing to reduce drag.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Drag goes up at the cube of speed….. Sport bikes are not highly aerodynamic so they face a natural upper speed limit. If you have desire to run above 150 for more than a few seconds, buy more displacement to get more HP. Or build a streamliner type fairing to reduce drag.
Drag goes as the square of the speed, power required goes as the cube of the speed. Streamlining efforts are far and away the best way to increase top speed as small gains make for big improvements on such draggy vehicles.

Mark

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Drag goes as the square of the speed, power required goes as the cube of the speed. Streamlining efforts are far and away the best way to increase top speed as small gains make for big improvements on such draggy vehicles.

Mark
Thanks for catching that. I remembered a cubed function was involved; obviously didn’t recall which element.

·
Registered
2017 ZX6R KRT, 2014 SFV650, 2019 GTI MK7.5 Autobahn
78 Posts
Just realized I posted a response to the wrong thread here.

As far as the top speed on a 636, its limited by displacement. As others have said, drag goes up exponentially as speed increases. If you want to go faster you need more HP, thats all it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts