Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey - Noticed that I am exceeding my useful RPM range too often and not shifting early enough to take advantage of my bike's peak HP/torque (HP or Torque, depending on who you ask - see painfullyslow's thread).

I'm sure the more advanced just feel the RPM's, but I'm obviously not there yet because my vids show me raising RPM's well above the usable range more often than I'd like.

What is the secret to developing the feel for shifting at peak power? I am guessing I just don't listen to my engine well enough because I don't think staring at my RPM gauge is the right thing to do.

I've thought about lowering the RPM in which my shift light comes on, but I don't typically see the light in the first place.

HELP!

jimundascores

I googled this:

how+to+shit+at+the+right+time+shift+light

and came up with Pooping 101... seems I had a typo :(:

http://scdlifestyle.com/2014/04/pooping-101/

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
You may have to physically peak at the tach for awhile while "re-learning" shift points...

gearing changes, tire selection etc play a large role in this as well....but you will get used to it (some faster than others)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why not set the shift light up for 14,000RPM like me; then when I see it flash I shift shortly after, around 15,000RPM tops. Quicker than reading the tach and processing the numbers, and you can see the shift light in your peripherals without taking your eyes off the asphalt.

If you really don't see the light then as rivers suggested you may need to peak at the RPM (or just look directly at the shift light) until you get used to the sound/vibration of the RPM you need to shift at.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What do you consider the "usable" range? Do not misread painfully slo's thread! It was an excellent discussion but there was some information in the original post that could be misinterpreted in light of the rest of the discussion. Its VERY IMPORTANT to understand the difference between HP/TQ at the crank and HP/TQ after it's gone through the gearbox.

Looking at his Dyno chart I'd say keeping the tach between 12 and 15 is where you want to be for maximum acceleration. There really is no "secret"...through experience you learn what the bike feels like at high RPM. The kind of experience that's easiest to get at the track, lap after lap.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
The peak output of the motor is easily figured out with your 'butt dyno'..... when it doesn't accelerate as hard, you are under or over your peak output. Shift.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I am afraid that I am with the others. The rider develops an affinity with their bike and knows by feel/sound when and where they need to shift.

Until you learn that spot if you have access to ECU tuning software you can set the rev limiter to kick in at whatever point you like. Other than that, I have seen some racers put tape over the tach at the point where they want to shift. When the needle disappears from view, shift.

All of these are stopgap measures however, you really need to feel it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just looked up my dyno numbers, though I've since feel like they've been enhanced with autotune. The numbers are peak TQ at 13k and peak RPM at 13.75. I changed my shift light to go off at around 13.25 a while back, and I did it because I thought I wasn't seeing the light until it was too late. After watching my vids, I'm shifting usually at 13.75, but I get a little ahead of myself on the front straight, and often rev for too long when I don't have time for an upshift before a corner (that's probably normal for someone of my experience).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_jh7fp0uc

That vid was my first after I was promoted to INT the session before. I was a little excited thinking people were going to be riding my ass and passing me left and right, so blew it a couple of times.

My camera's battery overheated in the middle of the session, so you can't see what was next. I was passed only once in INT and had my best laptime ever in the second to last lap. 1:50:36. Fast for me, but much easier to hit when you're not slowed down by slower cornering, NOV riders.

jimundascores

Edit: Critiques welcome. I was nervous first time in INT. Not so bad, but better next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts