Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 for the track..didn't ride until I was at the track and ..thing is heavy. Not what I'm used to. My last bike a million years ago was an RZ350..very light. So I feel it just may be the wrong bike to start out on again and maybe a 400 is better..but I'm going to lose some money on the trade in and have to spend a few thousand to make a 400 track worthy..suspension and brakes. Or can I shed enough weight to get it under 400 lbs and will this make a big difference. I know the exhaust is a big one, lights, battery, 1/2 tank of gas. race bodywork? how much will that lose?
I'm going to NYST for the 26,27th and rented a 400 to see if I like it..but the ZX is a hell of a bike that I would never grow out of..but it was hard to get around the track at slow speeds..this thing wants to go fast.
thoughts?
and I already lost 20 lbs..so thats not an option any more LOL.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
A Ninja 400 is not much lighter than a ZX6R.......... According to Kawi it is 60 lbs lighter, but in reality I doubt if it is more than a 40 lb real world difference between the two........

and yes you can get a ZX6R down way under 400 lbs easily (strip off all street legal stuff and you already lost 30 lbs (lights, signals, mirrors, sidestand.......... oe bodywork is nearly quadruple the weight of race plastics..... the oe seat is about 3 lbs heavier than a seat pad on aftermarket bodywork, then of course you can drop easily 20lbs by losing the oe exhaust system, then you get into more expensive and less reqaard items like lightweight battery and Ti bolts etc...) but 360lbs is attainable on a ZX6R

I am not sure comparing anything current to anything form the 80's is even relevent.....considering the 30mm forks, tiny brakes and minuscual frame and flexi flier swingarm of the RZ, and it was still a porker at 350+ lbs and about 45hp.... Even the Ninja 400 (about the same power and perhaps +15 lbs on weight) has way better brakes, suspension and chassis

Reactions: KawasakiBrad

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that might be the trick..i can't find specs on armor bodies weight compared to stock but i'm calling them tomorrow.
My RZ350 was fully suped up, dynod at almost 80 hp..it was a handful and was much lighter with the toomy pipes..the stock exhaust weighed at least 30lbs
My RD 350 monoshock racer weighed about nothing and had 72 hp..almost un rideable on the street..but fun.
I guess I'll see when i ride the 400..but what it will cost to get it raceworthy will almost cost as much as the 6...decisions decisions...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
As someone who has worked at a few dealerships, I hear this a lot. "I got a new bike, but it's different than my old bike, how can I make my new bike feel like my old bike". Not exactly those words, but you get the point.

I always get the same feeling on a new bike. The first things you notice are the things that are different. Instinct is to adjust and change until it feels more familiar.

My 2c, don't break the bank or jump to conclusions. Ride it and get to know it. You two are a team. If you feel the same way 5000miles from now then by all means have at it with the scalpel or trade in.

Give it some love and try to enjoy it. I'd bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its going to be a track bike only so im ok with putting on race bodywork and exhaust..the owner of the track said..take that bodywork off..put it away and in several years it will be worth a ton..as everyone will have wrecked theirs...hmm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is also the possibility that the whole day just was too much. Think of this..get up at 2:30, bike is loaded with everything so thats good..3 hour drive and its starts raining..hate rain..skiers hate rain..bikers hate rain...great their going to cancel it...crap. They don't, rain ends..now get everything ready, tent, leathers, etc. And all I'm thinking is ..I never rode this damn thing yet. It wasn't too bad, I just told them I'm breaking it in..don't worry about coaching me I'm not going to be keeping up any way..which took off some pressure. Then the crash shuts down the track for 2 hours..so I have 8 laps total..2 hours later were back on..4 laps later I come across a bad 2 bike crash..guy on the right is uniconscious on the track..other guy looks Ok..black flag..I'm out..and done..load up..3 hours get home 7:30..unload..pass out.
I now know what its like for a first time skier..I've been skiing for 25 years..those poor souls must feel the same way getting on the hill for the first time..but I've been thinking about this since I sold all my bikes 25 years ago..have to give it time.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Stamina is a young man's game, LOL. Consistency, and planning.......

My father used to tell me "Youth and vigor will always lose to age and treachery".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stamina. I think im pretty good..can ski bell to bell..we'll see next time

·
Registered
449 Posts
The ergonomics will make it feel heavy. The current lineup of sportbikes all have very aggressive seating positions. Youre up, on top of the bike with a lot of weight on the front end. At speed, it shouldnt feel quite as heavy with the wind supporting your upper body.

There are some cruisers that weigh almost double what your bike does. But people are still able to comfortably ride them because of a low seat height and relaxed rider triangle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think 4.5 gallons of gas is a big one..going to run with a little more than a gallon. You only get 4 to 5 laps anyway at a time.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
There's also a lot that can be done with steering geometry.... search for a thread by Painfully slow on this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im reaearching everything i can..we engineers overthink everything..but it works out in the end

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im reaearching everything i can..we engineers overthink everything..but it works out in the end

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's hard to envision our bikes being heavy. Even the ground breaking 1993 cbr900rr had a curb weight higher than or ninja. I remember reading magazines back in the day when the editors would make comments on the FZR1000, GSXR1100 or even the ZX7R as being overweight. They would describe how someone had to really muscle the bike through the corners. I never really understood what they were talking about, as only having a 600. Then one day I bought a Bandit 1250 and it became clear.

My guess is, as you said, you've been out of the saddle too long, and the last bike you had was a stripped down 350. Even at 60 pounds heavier than the RZ, the modern day components on the ZX are lightyears away from what was on the bikes in the 80's. I would imagine if someone handed you this bike 25 years ago, you would have ran laps around that 350.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm keeping it for now..just ordered the armorbody supersport body, lithium battery and graves carbon slip on..that should bring it down to 365. I can't give up on it yet ..need more time with it.
I remember when the first 600"s started coming out and they were much faster than our RZ's. But nothing beat the hit of a 2 stroke on the pipe at 10 thousand..My RD was just stupid fast..felt like a bicycle with a jet on it..it was more TZ than Rd.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And now its dead..wont start..26 friggin miles on it..solid red light and sfi light..wtf...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's hard to envision our bikes being heavy. Even the ground breaking 1993 cbr900rr had a curb weight higher than or ninja. I remember reading magazines back in the day when the editors would make comments on the FZR1000, GSXR1100 or even the ZX7R as being overweight. They would describe how someone had to really muscle the bike through the corners. I never really understood what they were talking about, as only having a 600. Then one day I bought a Bandit 1250 and it became clear.

My guess is, as you said, you've been out of the saddle too long, and the last bike you had was a stripped down 350. Even at 60 pounds heavier than the RZ, the modern day components on the ZX are lightyears away from what was on the bikes in the 80's. I would imagine if someone handed you this bike 25 years ago, you would have ran laps around that 350.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It ran when I pushed it up the ramp into the truck..got it home , rolled down the ramp into the garage..hooked up battery charger and today its dead. Steady red light..DFI light on. Servo moves when key is turned on and it makes a clicking up front...26 miles on it so I don't know it that well...doesn't turn over at all

1 - 20 of 26 Posts