Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! ive jsut joined the forum, and have had my first ZX6 for almost 2 months now.. i first day i got it, it was raining, but i couldnt help myself - i still took it out for basically the whole day. this bike is amazing to drive, and so easy to manouveur.

after about a week i started attempting power wheelies but wasnt getting more than a few inches off the ground, so i started clutching it and bit by bit sure enough it started coming further and further up.

but the thing is i havent had a great deal of bike experience - my first bike was a 250 which i sold after 2 months, then an old KTM 520 supermoto, however i barely ever got a chance to ride it cos i was in a different country.

i wanted some opinions from some more experienced riders. do you guys think this is too early? when did u first start popping wheelies?

thanks guys

·
Registered
62 Posts
im in the same boat, i learned on a vulcan 900, then a hayabusa, then a ninja 250,the hayabusa is what i rode the most. None of them were mine so i didnt ride that much. now i own my 6 and have had ot for about 2 months ive ridden it 3000+ miles, i cant stop! ive fooled around with wheelies and such but dont get carried away because in the end experience is what really matters.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wouldn't put a time limit on it. It's about how comfortable you feel with your bike. My 636 is the first bike I've ridden other than the 250 in the MSF class. I was trying clutch ups the third week I had the bike. I hate it when people say you should have at least X amount of miles or time before attempting wheelies. Only you know when you're comfortable with your bike. Just don't be stupid about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh thats what ive always thought.. i dunno, a friend of mine whos been riding much longer than i have, and was really surprised the first time he saw me on my back wheel next to him :p but hes been telling me to calm down since so was just wondering what you guys thought.. either way at the moment im in need of a new sprocket and chain, so gonna have to wait till the end of the month...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I wouldn't put a time limit on it. It's about how comfortable you feel with your bike. My 636 is the first bike I've ridden other than the 250 in the MSF class. I was trying clutch ups the third week I had the bike. I hate it when people say you should have at least X amount of miles or time before attempting wheelies. Only you know when you're comfortable with your bike. Just don't be stupid about.
This sums up my answer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't think it's to early. I've been trying to learn to wheelie but I suck at it. If you think you can handle a wheelie go for it. Don't listen to the people that tell you you need more miles under your belt. It's like how they say never to start on anything higher then a 250. It's all up to you and if you can think you can handle it. Everyone's different, it takes some longer then others. I say go for it if you're ready

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Ur good to go !!!!!!!!!!

PEEP YOUTUBE FOR BEGINNER WHEELIES AND HAVE AT IT

JUST PAY CLOSE ATTENTION :)

BABY STEPS BRO U CAN START NOW DESPITE DIFFERING OPINIONS

I LOOK AT EVERYTHING LIKE THIS....WORSE CASE SCENARIO I DIE

AS A CHRISTIAN THOUGH KNOW THAT WHEN GOD WANTS ME..................... IM GONE PERIOD...NO MATTER WHAT I WANT

SO HAVE FUN BRO

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yep, baby steps. You gotta work on the whole clutch throttle movement for a while then move on to the next step. Don't try and pop it all the way up and ride it unless you've perfected the first step and so on. I think as long as you don't try to do too much at once then it'll be fine. Know your boundaries. It sucks cuz you just wanna get out there and ride that shit out forever but guys that are good at it will tell you they practiced forever.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
all the above
i have been riding for a long time and always tried to pull a wheelie but just the last year ish, really playing about on the zx6r to learn more.
watch a load of youtube vids but its mainly down to you and how you feel
the members on here also help out a lot so read and learn there.
im still trying to get to b/p it takes time if i do a few thats feeling like im pushing it i pack in for a while, have a breather and start again
enjoy mate and practise more and more

ps ... get some vids or photos posted lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeh i think ive probably watched about every single vid on youtube theres posted about beginning wheelies, throttle control, etc. i just need to get my leathers on and keep at it - its the only way! thanks for all your help and advice guys!

·
Registered
50 Posts
...I've never understood what's so fun about wheelying a bike...I never did on the pushbikes either.
Track riding though, that is something else...and it'll develop you so much more as a rider, esp. if you can do a CSS course or similar.

No offense intended though, just a reflection. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree tracking a bike or pushing corners is much more dare i say fun, but wheeling a bike has its moments as well, just depends what type of rider, and what type of roads or lack of tracks you have at your disposal....

·
Registered
590 Posts
...I've never understood what's so fun about wheelying a bike...I never did on the pushbikes either.
Track riding though, that is something else...and it'll develop you so much more as a rider, esp. if you can do a CSS course or similar.

No offense intended though, just a reflection. :)
It's funny because I feel the exact opposite way. I haven't had any desire to ride on a track. I do like hittin' the turns fast though. I like the danger of being on a public road, it adds to the excitement and gives me more of a rush. I like doing wheelies because they scare the shit out of me. :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
^^^ nearly
took the words off my keyboard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
none taken. i can totally see what you mean, but i was a bmx'er and dirt jumper for quite a while when i was younger, and was especially good at wheelies. i just love being able to have that kind of control over the bike, as much as being able to do a CSS course. but im in belgium at the moment and there arent very many easily accessible tracks, and it doesnt come cheap either ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts