Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I got another one for you boys to help me figure out.... So I got a really nasty nail in my tire and the tire needs to go. Does anyone here know if any good tires with good prices? I'm a student, so be gentle on the price lol ?...... Any help or point in the right direction would be amazing, thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok guys, I got another one for you boys to help me figure out.... So I got a really nasty nail in my tire and the tire needs to go. Does anyone here know if any good tires with good prices? I'm a student, so be gentle on the price lol ��...... Any help or point in the right direction would be amazing, thanks!
Dunlop Q3's are at a reasonable price right now, if not, see if you can find Michelin Pilot Power's. They are pretty cheap and not a bad tire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunlop Q3's are at a reasonable price right now, if not, see if you can find Michelin Pilot Power's. They are pretty cheap and not a bad tire.

Thanks for the reply! So I checked it out and the Dunlop looks great but it seems it has a very low mileage on it, and the Michelin pilot powers seem great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
A set of Bridgestone S21s might still be on sale ~$145 after $50 MIR.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the reply! So I checked it out and the Dunlop looks great but it seems it has a very low mileage on it, and the Michelin pilot powers seem great!

Well it's a great performance tire with decent mileage wear at a decent price. If you want some cheapos that you're just trying to save money on, get Continental ContiMotions or even some Shinko's (Stinko's).

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
There it is
If the hole were on the shoulder of the tire where there are less belts and more flexing occurring, or if the hole were jagged, or elongated in any way I'd toss it and get a new tire. This hole is not that.

I'm with the guys who would plug that tire. The single penetration is within the main belts of the tire. It's a typical 'straight through' puncture, nothing exceptional about it.

If you want to do it the best way possible, remove the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside. That sort of patch will be as good as a new tire until you wear out the tread.

Counter point, I have had good success over the years with the simple 'sticky rope' plugs you can put in from the outside -- I have ridden patched tires on the street for an additional 8-10K miles without any issues. Eventually the tread wears down enough to expose the plug, and the road will cause the plug to wiggle and start to leak. I have then replaced that plug with another and kept riding on the same tire..... that tire lasted at least 12K, with a plug in it from less than 1K mile.

If you absolutely insist on replacement, ask to keep the old tire..... take it home and try and cut it up. Tires are a heck of a lot tougher than you think.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can get it mushroom plugged from the inside out or you can even plug it from the outside.
I have plugged my tires before without any problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts