Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 3600 miles on my bike, tires are starting to look worn (I don't not ride aggressively) just wanting to know how long tires typically last (miles not months). I know there are a million variables to this questions just an educated guess is great!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
For a commuter the stock S20s are not a good tire. Get a sport touring tire. You can double or even triple that mileage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The stock S20's didn't last me too long. I have a set of Q3's currently and have about 4k. I don't have any track days on them, and the roads here are mostly straight. Had a few mountain rides on them and are holding up good. These are way more tire than I need for where I live. I would assume Mich pilot road will be better if you are just commuting and not doing anything too demanding.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Pirelli Super Corsa's. Nothing else ever again. I had the Q3's loved em. Tried the Rosso Corsa's. Even Better. But I will never stop running the Super Corsa's perfect tire. Best tire out there in my opinion. Next stop is a track only tire. I don't need that. Pirelli is the best period.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I got 20,000 miles out of my stock tires... and that's riding aggressively, poppin wheelies and the occasional burnouts... true story.. If you don't believe me, try searching next time.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I got 20,000 miles out of my stock tires... and that's riding aggressively, poppin wheelies and the occasional burnouts... true story.. If you don't believe me, try searching next time.
AWESOME STUFF mang!!!!! I rode with you quite a few times. I know your tires last quiet a bit. However. If you want to feel the ultimate in traction. Pirelli Super Corsa's. For reals. So when are we going to ride again? I miss you!! No homo!!!! Burritos's after the rides......awesome stuff!!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
AWESOME STUFF mang!!!!! I rode with you quite a few times. I know your tires last quiet a bit. However. If you want to feel the ultimate in traction. Pirelli Super Corsa's. For reals. So when are we going to ride again? I miss you!! No homo!!!! Burritos's after the rides......awesome stuff!!!!
SP or SC? Sc0,1 or 2? You do know that Metzeler racetec rr is the same compound from the same factory, just a different profile? and about 60$ less/set. The sc and the racetec are not recommended for road use though, and you should use warmers on them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I just don't believe this. Everything I know goes against what I know about sportbikes. Lol. You sound like you got proof so I'd love to see/hear it cause it sounds amazing. Haha

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good to see you posting here again man! My bike is up and running for about a month now.. I'm long overdue for another ride with you guys.. We should definitely set something up.. I'll check the socal website to see what you guys have going on.

I just don't believe this. Everything I know goes against what I know about sportbikes. Lol. You sound like you got proof so I'd love to see/hear it cause it sounds amazing. Haha
That was me basically telling OP to try searching for something that has been brought up a bajillion times before... Sarcastically, of course.

I did however manage to get right under 12k on my Bridgestone BT023's. And that was all 70% commuting and 30% canyon riding (estimating).

And I got exactly 8,603 miles out of my stock tires, which I actually did make a thread about.

http://zx6r.com/off-topic/48718-got-flat-tire-hitman123-rescue.html

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
And I got exactly 8,603 miles out of my stock tires, which I actually did make a thread about.

Ok, now math was never my strong suit, but I think you're off just a scosche here...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The shocker to some is that we are riding sport bikes, not commuter bikes. As such, tires are geared more towards sport riding. Aggressive tires = better grip = less tire life.

If you are primarily using your bike for around town, consider something like the Pirelli Angel GT's. I run them on my Sprint (my daily driver) and so far have 2k miles on them and they look brand new. They also have great edge grip thanks to multi-compound carcass. More than enough grip for street riding with the added bonus of a very hard center section for very good wear characteristics.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The shocker to some is that we are riding sport bikes, not commuter bikes. As such, tires are geared more towards sport riding. Aggressive tires = better grip = less tire life.

If you are primarily using your bike for around town, consider something like the Pirelli Angel GT's. I run them on my Sprint (my daily driver) and so far have 2k miles on them and they look brand new. They also have great edge grip thanks to multi-compound carcass. More than enough grip for street riding with the added bonus of a very hard center section for very good wear characteristics.
For around town I would recommend Power Pilot 3's for great aggressive grip wet or dry and great tread life, but Power Pilot 4's for better life and still kick ass wet grip.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Good to see you posting here again man! My bike is up and running for about a month now.. I'm long overdue for another ride with you guys.. We should definitely set something up.. I'll check the socal website to see what you guys have going on.

That was me basically telling OP to try searching for something that has been brought up a bajillion times before... Sarcastically, of course.

I did however manage to get right under 12k on my Bridgestone BT023's. And that was all 70% commuting and 30% canyon riding (estimating).

ohhhhhhhh ok. Sarcasm comes through tough on the internet. Hahahahaha!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To the original question - bike is 2012 zx6r (of course) - the front tire has 3600 miles on it Bridgestone 120/70 "battlax bt016f" the back tire got replaced 300 miles in (nail) the new one has 3300 miles on it 180/55 "battlax bt016r". (Stock tires) I read some other suggestions in this thread thanks guys - any other tires I should consider before purchase would be appreciated- I will just be joy riding no track days. Chaparral motorsports is where I bought my last tire I will probably buy from there again
Best wishes
Kmwheele

·
Registered
805 Posts
To the original question - bike is 2012 zx6r (of course) - the front tire has 3600 miles on it Bridgestone 120/70 "battlax bt016f" the back tire got replaced 300 miles in (nail) the new one has 3300 miles on it 180/55 "battlax bt016r". (Stock tires) I read some other suggestions in this thread thanks guys - any other tires I should consider before purchase would be appreciated- I will just be joy riding no track days. Chaparral motorsports is where I bought my last tire I will probably buy from there again
Best wishes
Kmwheele

If you are using the bike for commuting and non hyperspeed trips, michelin pilot road 3 or 4 is great, they last forever with grip enough for most people, and when they start slipping, they do it slowly. Good grip in rain too - just watch the pattern - like a rain tire.
If you are thinking of trackdays, dunlop sportsmart is great. They wear a lot faster, but if you crash, you wont be able to blame the tires... People here use it for racing, but they have a working temperature of 40-70 degrees C, and are easy to get there, so they are good on the road too. 2:nd gen are dual compound just like pilot road, so they should last a bit longer.

I do not recommend pilot power 3. No good experience from them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all I hope this is the right place to post,I did do a search but it came up with no results so had a brows and found this post.

I have a 2003 636 A1P and I run Dunlop Road Smarts and have done for some years, they have been ok main reason is I use the bike to commute as well as pleasure. I was wondering if any one has experimented with tyre pressures as I have been advised dropping from the 42 rear and 36 front to aid grip and handeling?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Hi all I hope this is the right place to post,I did do a search but it came up with no results so had a brows and found this post.

I have a 2003 636 A1P and I run Dunlop Road Smarts and have done for some years, they have been ok main reason is I use the bike to commute as well as pleasure. I was wondering if any one has experimented with tyre pressures as I have been advised dropping from the 42 rear and 36 front to aid grip and handeling?

Thanks in advance
Hi! Welcome!

I do not have any exp with those tires, but those pressures sound high. Someone smarter may have better information.

General rules of tires:
More grip = less mileage/tire
Less pressure = more heat in tire
Warmer tire (to a point) =~= better grip

My personal data on my bike at my pace with my current tires:
Q3
32/32 psi
They stick like fuuuukin glue

Ey3

Reactions: NgtFuryNinja

·
Registered
805 Posts

Thanks in advance
Do you feel that you need more traction?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
:oops: .......another tire pressure question...

In my opinion (Which is not even worth $0.02 :laugh) stick with the manufactured recommended tire pressure, especially for regular street riding (i.e. 42/36)

Adjust from there based on your riding style, street conditions, etc...
(Example: cold vs hot day, passenger weight, raining, hard riding, track riding)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts