Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Best Track / agressive street tire

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is some posts about tires but haven't found anything really good for referance as to what tires are good for track days / agressive street riding. I want a tire that is good for track days but I dont want to have to use tire warmers. I dont care about wet traction either.
I am kinda stuck on these few options but open to other tire too. Currently have Power2ct. Not a hug fan of them. They were good when they were brand new but lost the performance very fast. I also found they slide around alot, even new.
Battlax Race DOT Tire
Sportmax Q3 Rear Tire
Battlax BT-003 Racing Street Tire
ContiRaceAttack Comp. (not sure which compound would be best for my type of riding, probably medium)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I currently run the BT-003 Racing tires, not the Racing Street. I love them but unfortunately, Bridgestone discontinued them. I'm debating on going with n-tecs or the Bridgestone racing DOTs, like the R10. For reference, I ride on the street occasionally and hit the track in the advanced group.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
What group are you in on the track? This list is kinda random, if you're doing street riding I'd recommend the Q3's but they definitely don't compare to any kind of race tire in terms of grip. If you're running PP3's right now I get the feeling you don't need to jump straight to race tires? but that all depends on your group & such - also, why no warmers?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I know there is some posts about tires but haven't found anything really good for referance as to what tires are good for track days / agressive street riding. I want a tire that is good for track days but I dont want to have to use tire warmers. I dont care about wet traction either.
I am kinda stuck on these few options but open to other tire too. Currently have Power2ct. Not a hug fan of them. They were good when they were brand new but lost the performance very fast. I also found they slide around alot, even new.
Battlax Race DOT Tire
Sportmax Q3 Rear Tire
Battlax BT-003 Racing Street Tire
ContiRaceAttack Comp. (not sure which compound would be best for my type of riding, probably medium)
You only have two tires listed that don't highly suggest using tire warmers;
So either the 003RS or the Q3 would fit the bill fine...of those two-flip a coin and whichever you can get cheaper buy (currently the Q3 has the $40 rebate through the end of the month so easy choice)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Not sure how long the pilot power 3 will hold up on the street. I keep them aired up to 38/40 psi and the grip is all there. Brought them down to 28/30 on the track and they perform phenomenal. I slid around some on the pilot2ct'S myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What group are you in on the track? This list is kinda random, if you're doing street riding I'd recommend the Q3's but they definitely don't compare to any kind of race tire in terms of grip. If you're running PP3's right now I get the feeling you don't need to jump straight to race tires? but that all depends on your group & such - also, why no warmers?
I run pilot 2ct not pp3. Are the 3's better for track?
Also I thought I was pretty clear, I want this tire to be mostly for track. I don't care about mileage or ride quality on the road. As for level, I switch between intermediate and advanced. All depends on the size and skill of the people there. Some track days are before race weekends. I got intermediate because I don't want to be out with the guys practicing for the weekend. I don't want to use tire warmers because 1 I'm cheap, lol and 2 I am not competing, I don't mind taking 2 or 3 laps to bring them up to temp. Maybe one day I will upgrade but not for this set of tires.

Also I did leave those pirelli's out because I really wasn't sure they were worth paying double. If they are though I would buy them.

Would be nice if people who had used a few of these had opinions on the track day difference

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where is my Pirelli option?

Maybe it's overkill but I am running Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas for street/track :D
+1 Pirelli DRCs get my vote for street and track riding. More than enough grip for most track riders up to the lower end of the fast/advanced group.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I run pilot 2ct not pp3. Are the 3's better for track?
Also I thought I was pretty clear, I want this tire to be mostly for track. I don't care about mileage or ride quality on the road. As for level, I switch between intermediate and advanced. All depends on the size and skill of the people there. Some track days are before race weekends. I got intermediate because I don't want to be out with the guys practicing for the weekend. I don't want to use tire warmers because 1 I'm cheap, lol and 2 I am not competing, I don't mind taking 2 or 3 laps to bring them up to temp. Maybe one day I will upgrade but not for this set of tires.

Also I did leave those pirelli's out because I really wasn't sure they were worth paying double. If they are though I would buy them.

Would be nice if people who had used a few of these had opinions on the track day difference
Mostly track use and a fast intermediate, advanced pace...

Dunlop D211 N-tec
Bridgestone R-10

The traction level difference at lean is "almost like cheating" is what I hear all the time.

I have ridden them both, they have subtle differences so some riders may/will prefer one over the other. Personally the R-10 is at $380 and the D211 N-tec at $319 I would run the N-tec
if you want the ultimate in traction at lean go with the 190/60 rear combo, then you are at $369 a set but it is noticeable and worth it if you want to go all in.
These nearly everyone uses warmers on, and many reps suggest warmers too- but they are not "required" either of these will leave the pits with equal grip stone cold as a high quality street tire like a Q3, S20, 003RS etc...and then only get bettter as they warm

set up is quite different between the two as is pressures to run. but definately worth the experience to atleast run them once and know what "unlimited" traction really feels like. (of course it really is not unlimited, but until you are one of the fastest on any track it will feel that way, once the tires are up to temp)

Conversly you say you are cheap, buy several sets of Q3's while the $40 rebate is in play and at $200 a set you can't go wrong even at advanced pace trackday riding

Reactions: 04636

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pirelli for the win. I ran the Q3s one weekend, the next weekend with similar weather I ran the Supercorsa V2s they're more expensive but on a different level when it comes to grip IMO. For aggressive street and track day duty the grip they offer can't be beat but the Q3's are close ish and much much cheaper so go that route. For me the S20's aren't really in the same league as the Pirelli's or Q3's I personally wasn't a fan of that tire from the get go.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I agree with riverszzr, I use Dunlop GPA D211's right now for my track tires and I love them, sounds like we're running a similar pace. I have Q3's on the street and I love them in canyons but can't say I've tried them on the track, but I don't mind paying the premium to use the GPA's for track tires rather than the Q3's.

Also, I apologize for my mistake but I'd assume the PP3's would be slightly better than the 2CT's since they're the updated version of the same tire, but I haven't ridden both back to back so don't quote me on that.

If you want to stay on the cheaper side, I'd say Q3's would offer a bit more grip (less life) than the 2CT's your running now, but if you insist on going to DOT race rubber, I only have experience with the GPA D-211's and I love them

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mostly track use and a fast intermediate, advanced pace...

Dunlop D211 N-tec
Bridgestone R-10

The traction level difference at lean is "almost like cheating" is what I hear all the time.

I have ridden them both, they have subtle differences so some riders may/will prefer one over the other. Personally the R-10 is at $380 and the D211 N-tec at $319 I would run the N-tec
if you want the ultimate in traction at lean go with the 190/60 rear combo, then you are at $369 a set but it is noticeable and worth it if you want to go all in.
These nearly everyone uses warmers on, and many reps suggest warmers too- but they are not "required" either of these will leave the pits with equal grip stone cold as a high quality street tire like a Q3, S20, 003RS etc...and then only get bettter as they warm

set up is quite different between the two as is pressures to run. but definately worth the experience to atleast run them once and know what "unlimited" traction really feels like. (of course it really is not unlimited, but until you are one of the fastest on any track it will feel that way, once the tires are up to temp)

Conversly you say you are cheap, buy several sets of Q3's while the $40 rebate is in play and at $200 a set you can't go wrong even at advanced pace trackday riding
Where can you get them at $319?

This is great info. I have been looking for something better than the Q3/003RS but still have not made the jump to warmers. I'm starting to crack into advanced group pace.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Metz and Pirelli = same compounds (same company) tread differs which makes the diff I think....

Bear in mind that Pirelli are the control tyre for both WSBK and BSB so you are benefitting from that experience (they are also the control for F1) On a Pirelli the first 3 or 4 laps give you most grip then they drop off and become stable until they wear out but at 3 or 4 tenths slower, they also slide progressively out the outer limit- do have a tendancy to re-grip inducing highsides....

Dunlop are the control for MOTO2 - so their tyres will tend to favour stiffer set up/chassis (their race rubber will tend to be based on MOTO2 requirements) so they tend to be hard construction and soft compound with lower pressures, slide very progressive with a big window of slide V let go, so you can push on them far more than you realise.

Bridgestones have always had a different philosophy they tend to go for hard sidewalls and harder compounds makes them more difficult to get working but if you can do so they do offer exceeding grip levels - although the break between on the limit and over is quite small - easy to lose confidence in them because of the above.

I am talking about track performance at the outer limits of what each can do - for the combination of street and track riding I would go for the pirelli as it is the softest construction most forgiving and confidence inspiring, but it is probably the most expensive.....

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I went Conti cuz whats a track day without a near high side :O

I have continentals and apparently they are shit sooo... use'em - it's like playing a video game on Legendary skill level :laugh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts