Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just bought a 2003 ZX6r I was wondering about the tire sizes, I have bought the bike with newish pilot power's but the sizes are all wrong, rear is 190X50X17 and front is 120X70X17, according to the manual these should be 180X55 and 120X65, I'm going to change the rear to a 180 but it's not so easy to get a 120X65, and I would prefer to keep the 120X70 as the bike will hopefully spend most of it's time on the track. Is it OK to use a 120X70 on the front? Any comments/suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was curious about the front, too. I just replaced my front a few weeks back. They didn't have the 120x65 in stock and asked if I wanted the slightly taller one. I didn't want to change sizes at this time. Not sure what difference the 5mm makes. I suppose you could always lower the triple clamps on the forks to compensate.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
i have not done it, but i've read changing the front to a 70 actually improves the handling of the bike noticably.
and i would keep the rear at 180/55.

someone with experience should confirm this though

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes it's fine. In fact, most people who have the 65 switch to the 70. The difference is in the tire height at dead center. If you go with the taller 70, it will give you a better cornering dive, or roll out. I switched mine as soon as my factory tires were ready for replacement

·
Registered
553 Posts
your tire size is fine, my 06 calls for a 120/70 and a 180 in the rear. I left the front size alone but opted for the wider 190 for the rear after lowsiding on the track with a 180. Everyone says that it will effect the cornering with a wider rear tire but I think unless your a pro rider worried about a fraction of a second it doesn't make a difference at all. I was more confident with the 190. I would say that your tire size is fine, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
120/70 is a superior tire config

1 - 7 of 7 Posts