Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
S21's are relatively flat profiled, much like sport touring tires........ probably close to the same profile of your PP2CT
Q4's and Q3+'s are very triangulated
The Pilot road series will be flatter yet....... they are sport touring tires

the more triangulated the easier to lean and the bigger the contact patch at full lean........but there are trade offs and negatives for average joeschmo legal (mostly legal) street riding --- and you may well never be able to use all that max lean (60*+ on Q4's) on the street and thus never utilize its biggest strength......... max lean angle contact patch grip!

the flatter profiles will have bigger straight line contact patch and big contact patches at moderate lean angles (up to about 30*)but it will get smaller and smaller the further you lean and you may well find the limit at sub 50* and on some tires sub 45*

So the problem lies in.....
~how do you ride most the time
~where do you want it to work the best
~how much are you willing to sacrifice and in what areas (cost, tread life, traction at lean, traction at the track, straighline etc...)
~ it is always some compromise......and the pains one goes to find the right set for themself is generally worth it.... but short lived as manufacturers change models and profiles and compounds/belt tension etc.... like the rabbits fuck and produce more rabbits.....

If you are one to never want chicken strips, buy the flatest profile sport touring tire and you can reach the edge of the tires around 40* lean angle.......easy peasy...great for those kickstand events to brag about the riding prowess and how great one is......

·
Registered
312 Posts
S21's are relatively flat profiled, much like sport touring tires........ probably close to the same profile of your PP2CT

I don't recall if the Bridgestones were S21's or not, it was a few years ago now. The 2CT's are way more triangular than the 'stones were and significantly improved the handling and performance at lean. Sounds like I should look at a set of Q3's as well to get the triangular profile. How do the Pirelli Supercorsa's compare? 2CT's are cheap enough that I may just buy a spare set and keep them for the next change, but I figured I should look around at the current offerings and see if I was missing anything.

Mark

·
Registered
958 Posts
A slower friend ran a set of PR3's on a track day a couple years back and they held up OK for him, but I am somewhat faster (and heavier) than he is, so who knows? How do the Pirelli's compare to the Michelin's in terms of handling and profile?

Mark

I never got around to really riding on the
Michelin’s as they were only on my street bike for a short time before I traded it in. From what I remember the turn in was a little quicker with the Michelin’s than the Q2s. The pirellis fall right into corners and stick like glue on the track.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The Q4 tire carcass is so flexible that you can collapse it with your hand, not installed on the bike of course. No wonder it requires so much more air pressure than other rubber. I was comparing it to the structure of my Metzler RACETEC COMPK slicks off the bike. Looking forward to comparing them.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can anyone give me a little insight into what tire compounds to use?

Would it be reasonable to run the Pirelli SC3 compounds for track days? I'm seeing that by going off of their range recommendation chart and them describing it their "versatile" compound. (see compound chart link below)

https://www.linkint.com.au/libraries/resources/brand-pirelli/2020-pirelli-compounding-chart.pdf

Front

Rear
Yes, the sc3 is designed for longevity and versatility. If you were going to select a 0, 1, or 2, you will want to know what the track temp will be for the day. If you are using the incorrect tire, you will destroy it fairly quickly. Have you thought about using the TD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of Moderation
10,035 Posts
Can anyone give me a little insight into what tire compounds to use?

Would it be reasonable to run the Pirelli SC3 compounds for track days? I'm seeing that by going off of their range recommendation chart and them describing it their "versatile" compound. (see compound chart link below)

https://www.linkint.com.au/libraries/resources/brand-pirelli/2020-pirelli-compounding-chart.pdf

Front

Rear
Is that a typo on the 2nd chart? There are 2 SC0 but no SC2. I think the SC0 on the right is supposed to be SC2. But yeah you can use SC3 at track days if your main goal is longevity and you don't want to buy tires as often, but you won't have as good of grip with those. You can push the SC1 a lot more which is what most people use for rears. For front, like zx6rguiy said above...based on track conditions and temperature, either SC1 or SC2.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yes, the sc3 is designed for longevity and versatility. If you were going to select a 0, 1, or 2, you will want to know what the track temp will be for the day. If you are using the incorrect tire, you will destroy it fairly quickly. Have you thought about using the TD?

I think I can get more performance out of the slicks at about the same price range, and I can flip them if needed.

Is that a typo on the 2nd chart? There are 2 SC0 but no SC2. I think the SC0 on the right is supposed to be SC2. But yeah you can use SC3 at track days if your main goal is longevity and you don't want to buy tires as often, but you won't have as good of grip with those. You can push the SC1 a lot more which is what most people use for rears. For front, like zx6rguiy said above...based on track conditions and temperature, either SC1 or SC2.
I didn't notice that but, yes, its a typo.

Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick - TRACKSIDETIRES.COM Pirelli Motorcycle Tires for Street and Track

Compared to the SC2 rear, which has similar characteristics, the SC3 offers greater durability and more constant performance in all ranges of use, at the cost of outright lap times. On the front, the SC3 is versatile and offers constant performance. Compared to an SC1 it offers longer mileage but at the cost of grip and lap times. Compared to the SC2 it continues to offers better mileage. The new SC3 is an excellent solution for endurance competition and track day riders.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think I can get more performance out of the slicks at about the same price range, and I can flip them if needed.[/I][/FONT]
Definitely. If you have the pace, I would suggest using the 1 front and a 1 or 2 rear depending on conditions. Ive went around 100 laps (250ish miles) on a front with very little effect on grip.
Rears last about half as long. The grip is incredible when they’re fresh. They do drop off pretty quick but its easy to control when you do get some wheel spin.
I cant speak on the sc3. Never used one before.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts