Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I run Dunlop Q3's on my 03 636 they are 190 50 sidewall my buddy is running Q2's 190but 55 sidewall. Is it so you can get max lean angle easier? I just was not sure why he would run those

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
190 is going to be no benefit over a 180 unless you are racing on a racetrack and super fast
There I fixed that for you.

190/50 has a relatively flat profile and they are only good for a sport touring type situation (IMO)

190/55 has a similar profile to a 180/55 in that it is steeper for better turn in and more edge grip. It also has the added benefit of some additional rear ride height for cornering clearance and by steeping the rake and lessening the trail it will turn in quicker and be more flickable, if you go too far it could lead to high speed straight line instability issues

There is absolutely zero benefit to running a 190 on a 600 on the street or even a trackday unless you are always at race speeds....Well or; you are a poser who thinks bigger is better, then you likely need a liter bike anyways-cuz bigger is better

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Here is a profile map from the tire manufacturer~~ I have posted this thing numerous times now.You'd think people would get it by now...sigh---another tire thread WTF

Attachments

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Hey everyone I run Dunlop Q3's on my 03 636 they are 190 50 sidewall my buddy is running Q2's 190but 55 sidewall. Is it so you can get max lean angle easier? I just was not sure why he would run those
So in answer to your question posed;
your buddy has a better set up with the 190/55 than your 190/50 unless you ride around like tools just to kickstand events.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I switched to a 190 from a 180 last year and immediately noticed a difference for the better on the track. For reference, I ride in advanced class.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I think the majority of us on here would wonder why either of you are running a 190 on a 600 to begin with.
190 is going to be no benefit over a 180
In the future, please don't comment unless you have some sort of valid point.

190 you gain substantial mid-corner stability over a 180, and while it might not be the biggest deal on the street, on the track putting a 190 on makes a night and day difference

OP: with a 55 the tire is going to be taller than the 50, so it should lean a little easier with a 55, it also has slightly more max lean angle so you could technically push it a liiiittle further than you could a 50. odds are you won't, but it is available

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks Preston, next time we'll reserve our opinions until the experts such as yourself decide to log on and grace us with your expertise. We have no idea if this guy is riding on the road or the track. Neither one of us were being disrespectful, but I appreciate you coming along and acting like a know-it-all prick. We interact here all of the time and I was prying to get a little more information. Next time I'll try and be a little more direct so you can fully understand what my intensions are.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Thanks Preston, next time we'll reserve our opinions until the experts such as yourself decide to log on and grace us with your expertise. We have no idea if this guy is riding on the road or the track. Neither one of us were being disrespectful, but I appreciate you coming along and acting like a know-it-all prick. We interact here all of the time and I was prying to get a little more information. Next time I'll try and be a little more direct so you can fully understand what my intensions are.
You can have whatever opinion of me that you'd like, I just don't understand why people make statements, worded as facts, that are either incorrect or that they admit to not knowing the answer to. If you don't know, that's fine, but this is how misinformation gets spread, which is entirely too prevalent in our community. When people come on here with questions about wrenching, I don't go in and tell them what to do because I have no idea. Saying there's no difference between the tires is ignorant; don't spread ignorance.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I've said what I needed to say and I'm done with that (but your first impressions are fantastic, lol). Nowhere on this thread/forum have I ever proclaimed knowledge on a subject I don't know about. I was wanting to know the benefits or advantages to running that tire as well, so thanks for answering that.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Eaaaasssyyyyyyy buddy. Calm down. For your info; Preston does know every bit of what he is talking about. He explained it perfectly and it upset you? Why ? Maybe if you knew as much as Preston,you would not be so butt hurt. :laugh

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I didn't want this to get into a heated debate just was curious a lot of guys at the bike shop recommend a 190
:laugh fair enough...

do you want to do track days or ride canyons? or do you just do around town stuff?

I said it before, but a 190 would gain you mid corner stability but sacrifice a noticeable amount of turn in speed (it wouldn't drop as fast)

If you aren't doing track days or anything like that, there's no real need for the extra $, but it's totally up to you. I run a 190/55 street and 190/60 track, but the street tire is only because I want to stay as close to the track profile as possible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts