Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got my rear tire replaced and they put a dunlop on, the front is a bridgestone does it make a difference?

·
Registered
956 Posts
It depends on if your racing or not... if you have chicken strips and ride to work and back then it will not matter, IMO

However if you plan on riding fast doing a track day or racing you could find you self on the ground with mismatched tires.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In rare cases tires from different manufacturors can be compatible...

I wouldn't do it though...

·
Registered
397 Posts
OHHH YEAH, huge! :coocoo But there are only two ways you are going to notice. ONE is that the BT014 is a much harder tire than the qualifier, which runs a greater risk of slipping out on you, which WILL happen if you are into corners :banghead. And TWO, you go ahead and buy the new front qualifier, like you should, and experience the difference in how much smoother and stronger it will dive. I think everyone who has rode for awhile would agree

·
Registered
450 Posts
So is there some compelling reason you decided to mis-match tires?

Only replaced the rear because it was worn/damged in some way? Trying to save a few $$$?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've run mis-matched tires on purpose (trying to get better performance/mileage) and just because that's how it worked out sometimes and never really liked the results. In general, as long as they aren't wildly different types of tires the results won't make the bike dangerous or unrideable, but it never felt quite right either. I always run matched tires now and feel the bike handles better for it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the rear had a leak-- when i took the bike in for it's 500mi service, he asked me if i wanted to replace it cause it was under warretnty so i said sure. i figured he would put another bridgestone on there, just like i had when i bought it. but when i got it back it was a dunlop

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have never ran mis matched tires, I've seen people do it and run their bikes hard and never really have an issue. Personally, I wouldn't do it because I think it would mess with my confidence. Either way, I didn't like the dunlop qualifiers when I had them on my TLR, they didn't seem to grip very well and turned bright blue after a couple passes through the tail of the dragon. I only got about 1000 miles out of them. I run pilot powers now, they grip well initially but the wear indicators don't mean they still have grip left, when they go they don't really give much of a warning and you can forget about getting a lot of miles out of them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
no the rear had a leak-- when i took the bike in for it's 500mi service, he asked me if i wanted to replace it cause it was under warretnty so i said sure. i figured he would put another bridgestone on there, just like i had when i bought it. but when i got it back it was a dunlop
Tire on warranty you say?????????????????

Shit where do i get a warranty like that, especually on a o.e. tire. Usually shit like that dont have a warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts