Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice most riders use matching tires on their sport bikes. They could be Q3's, PP3's, S20's ect... But not a lot of people mixing sport tires with sport touring tires.

With the idea being a front sport tire will last roughly as long as a ST rear tire. I think it's well known that most modern ST tires are grippy enough for any level of street riding and occasional track use. Take the Ron Haslam race school for example. The use ST tires exclusively.

My question is, why do people opt for short life sport rear tires when there's a better alternative?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Better in this instance is subjective.... Softer sport tires offer better feel and confidence, and higher grip levels.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better in this instance is subjective.... Softer sport tires offer better feel and confidence, and higher grip levels.
You're right, it is subjective. But as far as wear goes, ST tires are better than sport tires.

I'd also argue that you couldn't make use of the higher grip on the street.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to be absolutely confident in the tire I choose when I do lean it hard. I'll sacrifice mileage count for it, always.
I think I hear this reason the most. Have you ever considered you're not anywhere near the traction limits of a sport tire? (on the street)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'd also argue that you couldn't make use of the higher grip on the street.
I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but I would rather be having this conversation and have to buy tires more often than to have an ST go out on me mid-corner because I decided to flirt with the amount of grip it would offer

EDIT: an old roommate of mine only used ST tires on his GSXR1K, and when I rode it they generally did fine, but it broke loose on more than one occasion and was not confidence inspiring at all. I don't mind spending the extra money on something like a PP3 or Q3 and not using it to its full potential

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but I would rather be having this conversation and have to buy tires more often than to have an ST go out on me mid-corner because I decided to flirt with the amount of grip it would offer
So it's kind of a fear of the unknown kinda thing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I hear this reason the most. Have you ever considered you're not anywhere near the traction limits of a sport tire? (on the street)
I'm not saying that I can max out a sport tire on the street, but I do ride hard. Again, it's all about the confidence in KNOWING that the tire will stick. For a lot of us, that's a reason to stick with sport tires.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Additionally, the fact that a race school uses ST tires isn't convincing?
They are trying to induce low grip slides and traction related issues, so yeah, its not convincing.

Reactions: PrestonK

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'm not someone who will tell you you're wrong for using the ST tires, I just choose not to personally

I'll spend my money how I please, in this case, it's on a few sets of tires per year

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I dont need a link. Ive seen it personally. And I've seen this one guy, you might have heard of him, Scott Russell something, absolutely demolish a field of track day instructors on an FZ1 with stock tires..... But then, he was sliding the front constantly, and spinning the rear like a roulette wheel. The difference, is that he is superhuman on two wheels, and the folks trying to have fun at track days, are not.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont need a link. Ive seen it personally. And I've seen this one guy, you might have heard of him, Scott Russell something, absolutely demolish a field of track day instructors on an FZ1 with stock tires..... But then, he was sliding the front constantly, and spinning the rear like a roulette wheel. The difference, is that he is superhuman on two wheels, and the folks trying to have fun at track days, are not.
You've seen the instructors and students at the Ron Haslam race school in the UK purposefully sliding and spinning up tires?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You've seen the instructors and students at the Ron Haslam race school in the UK purposefully sliding and spinning up tires?
No, I havent been to Haslam's school. Have you?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
How do you know it is a false claim?

he could be right, even without the facts to back it up. You don't offer any facts to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Besides Bridgestone clearly has stated that the 023 is not a track tire. Discussion over

1 - 20 of 46 Posts