Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've hit a little bit of a snag. I need new tires to be able to get my bike inspected (which I currently have the ones I ordered in), but every shop I call seems to be weeks behind schedule on their work. Now this wouldn't be an issue if I had stands and could just bring the tires to them, but alas I do not have stands. Does anybody know any shops or anyone(I'm located in MA in the Attleboro area) that does tire installations and balances that can get this done asap? I'd rather my bike not be sitting at some shop for a few weeks while the weather is gorgeous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I've hit a little bit of a snag. I need new tires to be able to get my bike inspected (which I currently have the ones I ordered in), but every shop I call seems to be weeks behind schedule on their work. Now this wouldn't be an issue if I had stands and could just bring the tires to them, but alas I do not have stands. Does anybody know any shops or anyone(I'm located in MA in the Attleboro area) that does tire installations and balances that can get this done asap? I'd rather my bike not be sitting at some shop for a few weeks while the weather is gorgeous.
I agree it would be a shame to miss the good weather. Could you borrow or buy stands as an alternative to letting it sit? At this point it seems to be a time versus money decision...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it would be a shame to miss the good weather. Could you borrow or buy stands as an alternative to letting it sit? At this point it seems to be a time versus money decision...
I only have a few friends with bikes and nobody has stands. I had a coworker from a while back that said she had some stands that would work for my bike but she got fired and no longer lives in the state. As for purchasing stands, I'm a full time college student with bills so I don't have a ton of spare $$ kicking around. I was already not thrilled to not be able to last this season with the tires currently on the bike, but hey I'd rather be safe than sorry haha.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I think the local shops in your area have their heads screwed on backwards. Your core quick and easy business is tires and oil. It takes very little time and the mechanics really don't even need to do it. At my past couple of shops we had one of the shop/yard guys that did a majority of tire changes so that the mechanics didn't have to drop a bike from their lift to do it.

What I'm saying is.... if a shop if making people wait more than a couple of hours (or maybe half a day) to get a tire change.... they are doing it wrong.

I simply can't understand why they'd not say "yeah...bring it by today... we should be able to get it done by at least tomorrow."

I'm still scratching my head at this....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the local shows in your area have their heads screwed on backwards. Your core quick and easy business is tires and oil. It takes very little time and the mechanics really don't even need to do it. At my past couple of shops we had one of the shop/yard guys that did a majority of tire changes so that the mechanics didn't have to drop a bike from their lift to do it.

What I'm saying is.... if a shop if making people wait more than a couple of hours (or maybe half a day) to get a tire change.... they are doing it wrong.

I simply can't understand why they'd not say "yeah...bring it by today... we should be able to get it done by at least tomorrow."

I'm still scratching my head at this....
Does the fact that I'd have to bring the whole bike down make any difference? I don't have stands or any real way of propping the bike up to remove them, otherwise I would. They all have told me that they could get it done quickly for me if I just brought the tires down

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Does the fact that I'd have to bring the whole bike down make any difference? I don't have stands or any real way of propping the bike up to remove them, otherwise I would. They all have told me that they could get it done quickly for me if I just brought the tires down
it literally would take them an extra 10-15 minutes to put your bike on stands and pull the wheels off, swap tires, and put them back on. Is this a dealership or just a shop?

They'd also charge you a little more for removing the wheels themselves... which I'd think they'd be OK with considering they'd make more than just swapping the tires for you.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Buy some stands. Being poor isn't really an excuse when it pays for itself by being able to do the work yourself and not paying someone to do it.
-Cody

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try Cycle Gear. They will mount tires, but I do not know if they will take them off for you. We had a flat and they were the only place open on Sunday. They were nice enough to provide tools so we could remove the wheel and then changed out the tube on my friends bike. At least worth a try if you have a local place.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got quoted $175 for both tires from a place in the next town over from me. Might just order some venom universal stands and then remove the tires and do it that way.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I got quoted $175 for both tires from a place in the next town over from me. Might just order some venom universal stands and then remove the tires and do it that way.
That place is literally raping people.

I agree... try riding it to a cycle gear and see if they'll let ya borrow some stands to pull the wheels off and swap your tires for you. Worth a shot :O

·
Director of Moderation
10,507 Posts
I pay about $10-15 per wheel when I get tires changed. But at dealers it's usually around $35-40 with the wheels off the bike, or $45-55 with the wheels on the bike.

It doesn't take long to take the wheels off, but you do need some tools that are not as common, so you'd have to buy those most likely.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pay about $10-15 per wheel when I get tires changed. But at dealers it's usually around $35-40 with the wheels off the bike, or $45-55 with the wheels on the bike.

It doesn't take long to take the wheels off, but you do need some tools that are not as common, so you'd have to buy those most likely.
Fuck, I want to pay those prices. :rant

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a harbor freight tire changer with mojo blocks and a no-mar bar for mounting/dismounting. Great set-up for someone on a budget. Something to look into. It has paid for its self several times over.

Also I would not recommend venom stands. Check craigslist for some quality used ones

·
Director of Moderation
10,507 Posts
Also I would not recommend venom stands. Check craigslist for some quality used ones
I second this! I cheaped out and bought 2 venom stands for my 500 for like $75 bucks (for both). They are garbage, especially the rear. Almost dropped my bike a couple of times because of the stand, so I've had enough and bought a used Pitbull from a friend for $110. Pitbulls are expensive but they're good stuff.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got my front and rear stands on amazon for under 70 bucks for the set, they are cheap but they work.

I've had my bike up on them a dozen times or so and they seem fine.

Obviously u get what u pay for but I just keep an eye on them very closely when I use them

·
Registered
503 Posts
You might try the Speedmetal stands from Cycle Gear. They are $75 each and look pretty good. They are aluminum, but the only bad part visually seems to be that the stand may get in the way if you're trying to clean the wheels or something. But should be fine for working on the bike. You will need spools for the rear though.

I'd also check out craigslist. Perhaps someone near you is trying to unload a set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts