Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I received a defective unit so I'm contacting the manufacturer for a return or replacement. It looked like it had been used and thread was rusting on the threads and some rust drips around it. The threads also didn't fully seal and had some air leaks.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Overall changing the tire was not that difficult, other than the bead not seating. I'm a little uncertain if my balancer worked correctly, seemed to be a bit crooked, but I did my best to make it level.

Might get this balancer for next time if my wheels are off balance: Aerostich Cantilever Wheel Balancer

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Has anyone used the TiRxMoto tire changer?

TiRx Moto

It looks okay, but the price is stupid. It's takes less material to make it, but it's like 3 times more expensive than a Harbor Freight tire changer.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Changed my tires last weekend. Using Metzler slicks now. They were much easier to install that the Dunlops. I only heard one pop when seating the front. That normal?

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
Changed my tires last weekend. Using Metzler slicks now. They were much easier to install that the Dunlops. I only heard one pop when seating the front. That normal?
No. Probably didn't seat the other one. Happened to a friend of mine recently right before a race, but it was on his rear.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Metzler's are very similar to the Pirelli's in regard to the soft carcass. It's not all the time, but I've definitely mounted a few Pirelli's where the beads happened to seat very early on with little PSI. If you were not paying attention it probably seated right away and not with ~30PSI in it to make it pop. Use your best judgement, look at the sidewall all the way around the rim, if it's not seated in one spot, it'll be obvious.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The Metzler's are very similar to the Pirelli's in regard to the soft carcass. It's not all the time, but I've definitely mounted a few Pirelli's where the beads happened to seat very early on with little PSI. If you were not paying attention it probably seated right away and not with ~30PSI in it to make it pop. Use your best judgement, look at the sidewall all the way around the rim, if it's not seated in one spot, it'll be obvious.
Looks even. You're right bout the carcass. Way more flexible fronts than dunlops.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Looks even. You're right bout the carcass. Way more flexible fronts than dunlops.
I have had them seat at less than 10psi numerous times........... I don't doubt if you looked at them, you can tell easily if both are seated or not, but I always love the reassurance of two big bangs when seating the beads.........and then having to remove air instead of adding more

·
Registered
640 Posts
A cinder block is more flexible than Dunlops.

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
Maybe they both popped at the same time?

I'm buying this. Tire irons keep scratching my rims too much and I need to swap out my zx10r tires as well.

Tire Changer EVOX 15-19"

That's interesting. Post up what you think of it afterwards. Maybe post a video of changing a tire on it.

Reactions: jd41

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
I'll test it out once its shipped to me.

Looks simple enough to use.

Made it look easy but it always looks easier in demo videos from manufacturers. No-mar videos make theirs look easy too but it's a hell of a workout swapping certain tires on it. I also don't see how this was so stable on the ground. There's nothing holding it down to the floor, yet it didn't move at all in the video. I feel like that would slide all over the floor as you're working the tire off or putting it back on.

Reactions: Otto Man

·
Registered
640 Posts
JD's always finding these new tire mounting products out there. I gotta say. Props to all you guys that do that by hand. I had a HF changer like everyone else starting off. Scratched up a lot of rims and busted a few knuckles in the process, sweating like a whore in church while doing so. After all that crap...once I got a pneumatic changer, there's no going back. If I didn't have my Derek Weaver, I'd just pay the trackside vendor $20 to change/flip them. Fuck all that nonsense. :)

You don't need a super big air compressor to run it, and it's a 115v plug. If you have ~3.5x3.5 square feet of available garage space to dedicate, dude it's worth it all day long.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts