Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use automotive fuel injection hose as a protector.

I slice it length wise about 6 inches and then slip it over the rim lip.

Cheap, easy, and works.
I'm stealing this, rim protection has always been a problem for my clumsy self with street tires and tire irons.

Dang. Still can't get the beads to seat. Pretty annoying. Anybody else have issues seating the bead?
Occasionally have had one be stubborn but lube and more pressure has always done it. Is it not sealing at all or is it sealing against the bump towards the center of the wheel and not popping out against the bead seating area?

If you have enough flow capacity sometimes taking the core out of the valve stem will help get enough air in fast enough to seat everything.

Mark

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have a simple 3 gal 150 psi air compressor.

It’s all about the initial blast.
I'm stealing this, rim protection has always been a problem for my clumsy self with street tires and tire irons.

Occasionally have had one be stubborn but lube and more pressure has always done it. Is it not sealing at all or is it sealing against the bump towards the center of the wheel and not popping out against the bead seating area?

If you have enough flow capacity sometimes taking the core out of the valve stem will help get enough air in fast enough to seat everything.

Mark
I couldn't get them to seat even with the valve core out and at 125psi with my compressor. Since my budget was 200$ dollars (2 local tire changes) and I want to make this as easy as possible I picked up one of these bad boys :)

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
And now you're starting to see some of the issues with it and why it can be a pain without the right equipment. Which is why I'll gladly have the tire guys do it. Takes them like 5 minutes to do one and I don't have to stress and sweat about it.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
And now you're starting to see some of the issues with it and why it can be a pain without the right equipment. Which is why I'll gladly have the tire guys do it. Takes them like 5 minutes to do one and I don't have to stress and sweat about it.
I'm glad it works for you. I would happily take it to a shop if they had decent pricing on it but I'm confident that I'll get it to slip in with a couple of blows.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I’m on board with you. Tires are the biggest cost and pain to deal with.
But as you know I go through lots and have to deal with multiple vendors between the different clubs and regions. I also like to flip the rears more than once and $20 a pop eats a hole in my beer money. lol.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I couldn't get them to seat even with the valve core out and at 125psi with my compressor. Since my budget was 200$ dollars (2 local tire changes) and I want to make this as easy as possible I picked up one of these bad boys :)

Dang it man. Post up a video of that thing blasting away. ?

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
I'm glad it works for you. I would happily take it to a shop if they had decent pricing on it but I'm confident that I'll get it to slip in with a couple of blows.
That's what she said :laugh

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
I’m on board with you. Tires are the biggest cost and pain to deal with.
But as you know I go through lots and have to deal with multiple vendors between the different clubs and regions. I also like to flip the rears more than once and $20 a pop eats a hole in my beer money. lol.
And I know in MotoAmerica they have a schedule for when you can go get your tire servicing done, it's not like you can drop by whenever you want. And that's inconvenient, so for someone like you it does make more sense to have your own machine. You also typically have at least one helper with you at race events, whereas I do everything solo...so the more energy and time I can save myself the better. I'm willing to sacrifice a few bucks for that.

Reactions: Backmarker and jd41

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dang. Still can't get the beads to seat. Pretty annoying. Anybody else have issues seating the bead?
We always had trouble with the Q2's and Q3's and had to overpressure them (with an air compressor) to get the bead to seat. Something that will deliver the air quicker should work better though.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Go figure. I have them sealing on the bump on the wheel way more often than not sealing at all. It has been quite a while since I couldn't get a tire to hold air, 3-4 sets at least. That thing looks like the right weapon for the job. Who knew they made an air bazooka for tires?!?

That assumes you have a $20 tire change convenient to you. No such thing exists anywhere near me, so I do my own. In your position I can see why it makes sense to pay someone to make it happen.

Dang it man. Post up a video of that thing blasting away. ?
+1, should be hilarious.

Mark

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
We always had trouble with the Q2's and Q3's and had to overpressure them (with an air compressor) to get the bead to seat. Something that will deliver the air quicker should work better though.
Well go ahead and add Q4's to the list :lol:

Go figure. I have them sealing on the bump on the wheel way more often than not sealing at all. It has been quite a while since I couldn't get a tire to hold air, 3-4 sets at least. That thing looks like the right weapon for the job. Who knew they made an air bazooka for tires?!?

That assumes you have a $20 tire change convenient to you. No such thing exists anywhere near me, so I do my own. In your position I can see why it makes sense to pay someone to make it happen.

+1, should be hilarious.

Mark
Exactly. In addition, I prefer to have everything done before I head out to the track.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts

Mark
Yeah, trackside tire vendors charge $15-20 per wheel around here. I haven't gone to a shop in a few years because the prices are crazy high. Once you start racing, especially in mixed weather, you get really good at taking wheels off and putting them back on lol I filmed and timed myself taking both wheels off my 400 and putting them back on, simulating a situation where I have to switch to rains quickly, and it took me around 3-4 minutes for both doing it all by myself.

Exactly. In addition, I prefer to have everything done before I head out to the track.
I like to get the most out of my tires cuz that shit ain't cheap. So rather than waste good rubber, I have no problems going to the track with like 20% tire life left lol I've even had rear tires flipped just so I can do like 2 more races in a day without having to buy another one (so like 14 laps). Around here, most of the tracks I go to are VERY right-turn dominant. Last time out at VIR I looked at the tire and saw that the dimples/wear marks were completely gone and I'm sitting there thinking "nah...it'll be alright for this next race, I'll get another tire after this", and then after like 8-9 laps the fucker started sliding a lot in the right turns and my laps dropped by 1-2 seconds lol

Reactions: Strider and jd41

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, trackside tire vendors charge $15-20 per wheel around here. I haven't gone to a shop in a few years because the prices are crazy high. Once you start racing, especially in mixed weather, you get really good at taking wheels off and putting them back on lol I filmed and timed myself taking both wheels off my 400 and putting them back on, simulating a situation where I have to switch to rains quickly, and it took me around 3-4 minutes for both doing it all by myself.

I like to get the most out of my tires cuz that shit ain't cheap. So rather than waste good rubber, I have no problems going to the track with like 20% tire life left lol I've even had rear tires flipped just so I can do like 2 more races in a day without having to buy another one (so like 14 laps). Around here, most of the tracks I go to are VERY right-turn dominant. Last time out at VIR I looked at the tire and saw that the dimples/wear marks were completely gone and I'm sitting there thinking "nah...it'll be alright for this next race, I'll get another tire after this", and then after like 8-9 laps the fucker started sliding a lot in the right turns and my laps dropped by 1-2 seconds lol
Lol. You're lucky you haven't crashed with bare tires then but I think It's cheaper to replace the tire than risk crashing.

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
Lol. You're lucky you haven't crashed with bare tires then but I think It's cheaper to replace the tire than risk crashing.
I like to think of it as mostly skill, not luck :wink The reason I've stuck with Pirellis in the last few years is because their rears are much more predictable and seem to have more margin for error. When they wear out, they start sliding a bit and you lose drive, but I have yet to have a big slide (except for that one time in downpouring rain where I highsided, but that was because of all the standing water lol).

·
Registered
640 Posts
any sport bike tire you can push the front tire beads right over the rim without tire irons, hell even some of the sport touring tires......... the warmer the tire the easier it is- ie...........set them in the sun for 20 minutes while you remove the old tires
Lol. Try this with a Dunlop slick front. PLEASE record it. :lol:

·
Registered
640 Posts
One of these days I will twist @Backmarker's arm enough to buy a real tire machine. Took me and our mutual friend about 2 years to get him to sell his gas truck for his now current diesel truck for towing duties. :D

Admittedly, his setup is portable and usable at the track, mine is at home only so once we're out at the track, you're stuck at the mercy of the tire guy.

·
Director of Moderation
10,040 Posts
One of these days I will twist @Backmarker's arm enough to buy a real tire machine. Took me and our mutual friend about 2 years to get him to sell his gas truck for his now current diesel truck for towing duties. :D

Admittedly, his setup is portable and usable at the track, mine is at home only so once we're out at the track, you're stuck at the mercy of the tire guy.
I think if he's had a few beers, the convincing process will be much easier :devilish

Reactions: Backmarker
41 - 60 of 92 Posts