21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
My no-mar classic is hitch mounted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm getting tired of all the local shops charging 100$+ for tire changes with tires brought in off the bike.

Anybody know of any cheaper options that work just as well as the No-Mar products?

This unit would be around 450$. It would pay for itself with 5 changes.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TC-CH100HD

Learn to take off your own wheels, you can just bring the wheels to the shop and typically it will only cost you about $20 to $25 per wheel for a change.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Learn to take off your own wheels, you can just bring the wheels to the shop and typically it will only cost you about $20 to $25 per wheel for a change.
Re-read jd's post. He is taking the wheels off and bringing just those in.

I'm getting tired of all the local shops charging 100$+ for tire changes with tires brought in off the bike.

snip

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got my tire spoons a balancer and a stand. Just waiting on the stand that should be here by Monday. Oh, and also picked up a 5 gal air tank from harbor freight. :bigthumb:

I already had a bead breaker and I think the stand will make it much easier to avoid damaging the brake discs.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,035 Posts
@jd41, I was very close to getting a No-Mar one but after trying it out at a friend's house and both of us struggling for like 20 minutes to get a damn tire changed I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Shops can be pretty expensive which is why I also stopped doing that. I now only use the tire vendors at the track to get my tires changed. They charge around $15-20 per wheel, or if I'm buying tires from them mounting is free. This year I probably spent no more than $100 on tire mounting and balancing and I've gone through 2-3 fronts and like 5 rears, some of which I also had to flip. I'd rather just drop them off, not deal with the hassle of doing it manually myself, and then they're ready for pick up in about 15 minutes or less if there's no line.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
159 Posts
@jd41, I was very close to getting a No-Mar one but after trying it out at a friend's house and both of us struggling for like 20 minutes to get a damn tire changed I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Shops can be pretty expensive which is why I also stopped doing that. I now only use the tire vendors at the track to get my tires changed. They charge around $15-20 per wheel, or if I'm buying tires from them mounting is free. This year I probably spent no more than $100 on tire mounting and balancing and I've gone through 2-3 fronts and like 5 rears, some of which I also had to flip. I'd rather just drop them off, not deal with the hassle of doing it manually myself, and then they're ready for pick up in about 15 minutes or less if there's no line.
I'm struggling with a set right now with a NoMar. I don't do this enough to get proficient. After having tires changed at the track this year. I agree local tire vendor is the best thing going for convenience and cost.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I took the tire off in 10 min no problem. I'll mount tomorrow and report. UPS did not deliver my packages today :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's hard for me to understand the troubles you guys are having changing tires.

I built this tire machine off a Coats 220 base. I can mount/flip then balance a tire in a couple minutes easily.

It has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Find a technique that works and perfect it. Lay the tires out in the sun or put a warmer on them for a bit will help. Also use a lube like hair spray or Windex.

YRMV.

Attachments

·
Director of Moderation
10,035 Posts
I took the tire off in 10 min no problem. I'll mount tomorrow and report. UPS did not deliver my packages today :(
Took me about 5 minutes to remove the rear tire. I'm mounting and balancing today.
So was it 5 or 10? That's a pretty significant difference lol

·
Director of Moderation
10,035 Posts
It's hard for me to understand the troubles you guys are having changing tires.

I built this tire machine off a Coats 220 base. I can mount/flip then balance a tire in a couple minutes easily.

It has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Find a technique that works and perfect it. Lay the tires out in the sun or put a warmer on them for a bit will help. Also use a lube like hair spray or Windex.

YRMV.
It was just a big PITA when we did it with my buddy's No-Mar. Taking it off was fine, but getting the new one on was a bitch! Some tires are worse than others too depending on size and carcass stiffness. For some reason it seems like the 110 tires on a 3" rim are some of the worst, not sure why though.

Reactions: Backmarker

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I scratched the rim a bit. The plastic protectors that came with my tools weren't very good. I ordered some motion pro rim shields. It really wasn't that difficult to install the tire. I need to pick up an air compressor as I couldn't get the beads to seat with my air tank. :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
I scratched the rim a bit. The plastic protectors that came with my tools weren't very good. I ordered some motion pro rim shields. It really wasn't that difficult to install the tire. I need to pick up an air compressor as I couldn't get the beads to seat with my air tank. :(
I use automotive fuel injection hose as a protector.

I slice it length wise about 6 inches and then slip it over the rim lip.

Cheap, easy, and works.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Dang. Still can't get the beads to seat. Pretty annoying. Anybody else have issues seating the bead?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dang. Still can't get the beads to seat. Pretty annoying. Anybody else have issues seating the bead?
Really strange because with plenty of lube I can seat the bead with hand pump since I don't have a compressor. Pretty good workout but it works. What sort of lube do you use? Cheapest bar of soap grated and mixed with water into shaving paste like substance worked best for me.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts