Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a no mar classic. It does the job well, but...................if I could buy over again I would step it up to an electric.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
8" or 10" arbor press..used simply to break the bead free

30 gallon barrell with some radiator hose split and stuck on top (drill a few holes in the steel barrell and zip tie the raditor hose to the top- never scratch any rim)

10" aluminum tire irons (3)

plastic rim guards (3)
all in for above is maybe tops ($200)

and any of the static balancers available on the market ($80ish)

wheel weights

while I have a pnuematic tire machine and electronic balancer (about $2700)

I use the hand method for every sportbike and most sport touring bike tires and many of the "standards" 16" - 19" work super well, 15" tires are a bit of a PITA.............................. which is well over 200 tire changes a year and I have done it this way for about 4000-4500 tire changes on the same pieces of equipment. With the only thing ever replaced in all those years and tires changed being those plastic rim guards maybe 2 times in 37 years....

I use the pnuematic machine maybe 30 times a year and really only on the touring tires that simply aren't very flexible...... then of course I can also do auto tires on it and have.

nothing at all doing it all by hand.......... 1/3 the investment of a no mar and get it done as fast or faster and takes up far less room!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm getting tired of all the local shops charging 100$+ for tire changes with tires brought in off the bike.
A buddy has the machine you show and it is worth every $. Once you have it you will end up changing tires for everyone in your riding group. Charge them $20 a pop and pay the machine off with few problems while supporting your own habit.

For space savings he put inserts into his garage floor and then can unscrew the mounting bolts and put the machine aside when not in use.

I use the hand method for every sportbike and most sport touring bike tires and many of the "standards" 16" - 19" work super well, 1
While I know you know your sh!t, I find the 17" radials tough with tire irons. I change all my dirt bike and bias ply street tires with irons and agree they work fine for that, but prefer the machine in OP for the radials.

Mark

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
yeah I know, I'm full of shit.
but personally I have very simple bead breaker similar to this

and long spoons as rivers mentioned and primitive balancer. has not gone to a shop for tires over a decade now. buying sophisticated tools won't pay off. too, changing sport bike tires is so easy compared to cruisers any simple tools will do.
still, I change track bike tires at track days.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
yeah I know, I'm full of shit.
but personally I have very simple bead breaker similar to this

and long spoons as rivers mentioned and primitive balancer. has not gone to a shop for tires over a decade now. buying sophisticated tools won't pay off. too, changing sport bike tires is so easy compared to cruisers any simple tools will do.
still, I change track bike tires at track days.
I've been tempted to mount a long lever (2x4) to a garage wall stud, for a bead breaker.

Now that I have access to a fire shop that will mount and balance for $15/rim, it's a tough sell...

·
Registered
51 Posts
RJ, could you let me know where that is? I need tires on this bike, mismatching is driving me nuts. And I'm noticing a little headshake from the front.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
RJ, could you let me know where that is? I need tires on this bike, mismatching is driving me nuts. And I'm noticing a little headshake from the front.
King George Tire, in King George, VA.

kinggeorgetire.com

540 779-0069

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If using tire irons is really that simple I'll give it a shot. I'm ordering a static tire balancer, rim protectors and some motion pro irons that also act as a bead breaker. If I'm not happy with the results I'll order a no-mar machine.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If using tire irons is really that simple I'll give it a shot. I'm ordering a static tire balancer, rim protectors and some motion pro irons that also act as a bead breaker. If I'm not happy with the results I'll order a no-mar machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKIuSjPXxA
It depends on the tire in my experience. On my supermoto the first set of tires (Pirelli) I put on it went on super easy. The Bridgestones I put on earlier this year were a pain in the balls.

If I ever get super serious about track days, I'm going to at least buy a tire changing head (thing that holds the wheel).

·
Registered
7,605 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKIuSjPXxA
any sport bike tire you can push the front tire beads right over the rim without tire irons, hell even some of the sport touring tires......... the warmer the tire the easier it is- ie...........set them in the sun for 20 minutes while you remove the old tires

and bead lube works magic!!!
rears, you can push the first bead over by hand easily........... the second bead, the three tire iron method is the way to go....... ie
align balance dot with the valve stem and put one tire iron 180* across from that and push down
second tire iron about 45* around to the right (but if left handed maybe to the left is better for you)........ I put my knee on that one and keep it pinned down
take 3rd tire iron and put about 45* to left and puch down
remove 1st tire iron move another 45* to left and push down
remove 3rd tire iron and put it another 45* around to left, push down
remove 1st tire iron and put it another ~45* and push the last of the bead over and you are done.........pull out all your tire irons and inflate

removal is actually even easier than install really

break the beads on both sides all the way around
install the 3 rim protectors side by side by side, touching generally
spray in some bead lube (or swipe it with an applicator)
one tire iron in center and one to right, flip them both in (lifting the bead over the rims edge), then take 3rd tire iron and put it in about 5" to right or left (depends on your prefferred side... I do left) and flip it over, remove tire irons and pull the rest off by hand
flip rim over and put all three tire irons on the lower rim lip (with protectors and plenty of lube) spaced about 4-5" apart.......... you will know 100% when you have the right spacing (an inch too far will be difficult or impossible to flip 3rd iron, too close and you won't be able to simply push the tire off easily once all three irons are flipped over)
flip down the end, then the middle then the other end and then simply push down by hand on that off the bead area side of the tire andthe entire tire drops down the barrell to the floor

almost no sportbike tire takes me more than 5 minutes once the tire is deflated til the new is on and re-inflated

so you have something to shoot for..........if you get them down to sub 10 minutes you are doing pretty good but you may well take 15 or 20 minutes until you have done it a couple times...........

It really is super easy and fast once you have done it a few times and have the technique down!!

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
fyi.........the video in post 14 and those rim protectors suck ass--------- no way no how would I ever try and do it that way, nor would I use that balancer- get one with bearings and two sides!!

I have some super small cheapo ones that never fly off and let the tire iron touch the rim and the 3 tire iron method is far easier than what he shows......... and a barrell is way better than being on the ground.......... the barrell holds the wheel stationary just like a real machine with jaws that clamp .. and makes everything way easier!!!

something like these for rim protectors...........throw the ropes away

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-rim-protectors-p

something like this for the wheel balancer stand

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-motorcycle-wheel-balancing-and-truing-stand-p

these are my everyday tire irons for 90% of the tires.........although I do have some of the 15" curved ones too that don't see much use, but do see use....

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/motion-pro-tire-iron-p

samples.......buy anywhere- they were just first google search to pop up

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
fyi.........the video in post 14 and those rim protectors suck ass--------- no way no how would I ever try and do it that way, nor would I use that balancer- get one with bearings and two sides!!

I have some super small cheapo ones that never fly off and let the tire iron touch the rim and the 3 tire iron method is far easier than what he shows......... and a barrell is way better than being on the ground.......... the barrell holds the wheel stationary just like a real machine with jaws that clamp .. and makes everything way easier!!!

something like these for rim protectors...........throw the ropes away

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-rim-protectors-p

something like this for the wheel balancer stand

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-motorcycle-wheel-balancing-and-truing-stand-p

these are my everyday tire irons for 90% of the tires.........although I do have some of the 15" curved ones too that don't see much use, but do see use....

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/motion-pro-tire-iron-p

samples.......buy anywhere- they were just first google search to pop up

I have that balance stand, works great.

Reactions: riverszzr and jd41

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's a pretty reasonable approach. Have you ever used irons before? Make sure you have some tire lube, it is essential. A pro tip is to leave the new tire in the sun for a bit to let it warm up and soften up some, cold lots of them can be a bitch to get on.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Dunlop guy at the track charges $20 whether you buy from him or not so I just take a new one up (Dunlop Q3's from Revzilla) and change the rear out every 4 or 5 days on track (front is less frequent). I "recycle" the used track tires on to my street bike (well the center has plenty of tread) at a local shop for more than $20 but less than $100.

However, I remembered that there was a tire changer that used the receiver hitch on your truck to give it stability and found this
(Cycle Hill Motorcycle Tire Changer), which ultimately takes us back to the No Mar you first asked about, just with a different mounting approach.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts