Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
10,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to drain a fuel tank? The obvious is to take the fuel pump assembly off, but I'd rather not mess with that. Any other options? I don't have a vacuum pump aside from a Mitty Vac that I use to bleed brakes. Haven't tried that yet. I managed to drain most of it simply but turning it upside down, but there's still probably about a quart or so left. I want to drain it all so I can ship it.

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
If your that low, cloth, tank on side, pull pump and drain.

Let air out, a little white kerosene, to coat tank. Then drain again.

Being more oil based it will coat tank and mix with left over gas and kill the fumes from the gasoline.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
You could always open the gas cap and throw a match in.......... that will burn out that last quart..............lol :eek:

If you really refuse to remove the pump, then you will always have fuel in the pump even if you managed to get everything out of the tank

I would think with that you would always have fuel fumes, smell issues and the much higher risk of fuel contamination as it degrades (the smaller the amount the faster it turns to shit)

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,425 Posts
They might give you a hard time about shipping it if it smells of gas fumes at all honestly. I dunno what the rules are about that.

Reactions: Indy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts