Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've attached 2 photos that better describe this problem.

My clutch cable snapped and I was trying to replace it, when I accidentally removed this (rod?) by pulling it upwards. It inserts into the engine vertically.

I put it back in, but as I try to hook up my clutch cable, I notice that it comes out (up) slightly, leaving a small tiny gap (see arrow).

The picture without the arrow is when it's fully down (no gap).

I'm not sure if this is normal. Any advice?

I'm pretty sure I didn't lose anything, all the parts are there (washer and spring too), and my bike was working before.

I'm afraid to start my bike until figuring this out, just in case not inserting it properly causes a bigger problem when I start it.

Pushing this rod down, while simultaneously rotating it inwards (to install the clutch cable) is pretty hard. It wants to pop out. I'm not sure if I should apply more force downwards while trying to hookup the clutch cable.

The "rod" is a "RELEASE-COMP-CLUTCH" according to this web site (see screenshot also attached here) [1]

It's a Kawi 2004 636.

[1] 2004 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636-B2) Clutch | Ron Ayers

Attachments

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
It's normal as long as it doesn't come out. It should be locked in with the push rod inside. It has to be inserted in a certain way and twisted. When you pull the clutch, the cable pulls that spring loaded lever which twists the vertical rod and it turn that rod pulls on the push rod from the clutch inside. If you're clutch feels normal when you pull the lever, it's very likely that everything is good. This assembly either works or it doesn't. It either disengages the clutch or it doesn't...there's nothing in between. You can start the bike. It won't hurt anything even if it's not installed right. If it's not then when you try to put it in gear with the engine on and the clutch won't disengage, it'll stall the bike (if it's on the ground).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense, thank you so much!

Any advice on how to get the clutch cable in? Hook it up first on the engine side first, or the hand lever side first?

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
Makes sense, thank you so much!

Any advice on how to get the clutch cable in? Hook it up first on the engine side first, or the hand lever side first?
I just went through this a few months ago with my '09. I don't recall having any issues with putting it back together, but I'm pretty sure I didn't take it off from the lever since I had no reason to for what I was doing. I just loosened it up as much as I could, and pulled onto the little lever that it hooks into as best I could and it snapped in place right away (that spring on that lever is no joke though!).

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
I also recall that it went way smoother and quicker the 2nd time I did this lol...first time it took me a while to make sure I was doing everything right. Had to take my clutch apart a couple of times in the span of 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I don't think that gap is normal. I didn't try starting the bike up, but after I install it, there's literally no tension when I pull the clutch lever. And when I pull out the rod, I start seeing some signs of new fresh abrasion, likely from the few times I tried pushing it down, while rotating it to the clock-wise. I made a video and some photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Try this:

Push the arm all the way down into the hole as far as it goes. Keep applying slight clockwise pressure and try to pull it back out of the hole. U will feel the notch grab onto the clutch rod and prevent it from being pulled out.

Once u have done that, u need to adjust the spring so it keeps constant forward pressure on the arm. This will prevent the arm from turning counter-clockwise and letting go of the rod inside.

Looks like u might have the spring on backwards at the moment.

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
^What he said. In the correct position, you should not be able to pull that rod out. The rod needs to grab onto the horizontal push rod inside when it's being rotated. Are you sure that one is installed correctly?

I'm not sure if the design is a whole lot different from your bike to the '09, but when I put mine back together I had it all aligned while it was in the clutch cover. I never actually took it out of the clutch cover, and I just made sure to line it up right when I put the cover back on and it worked on the first try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part 2

Ok, 2nd attempt, with more photos and video.

Not sure if this is a factor, but I'm not sure what gear my bike is in. It's either in neutral, 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd.

While moving it in a circular motion either direction, I do not feel anything catching inside.

I heard someone say I should start inserting the rod at a more counter clockwise position, like at 5 or 6 o'clock, but it really won't go in until at around 8 o'clock (see video).

And I think the reason why I can't put the rod in at the 8 o'clock position is because this little piece, circled in pink. I think that's what's blocking it anyway, I'm not entirely sure.

Attachments

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
Shouldn't matter what gear your in, it has nothing to do with that, although how can you not tell?? If you can spin the wheel, it's in neutral, if not shift until you get it to neutral then you'll know where you're at.

I don't really know what to say at this point, it looks like you're doing it right. I guess you might as well take that cover over then you'll get a better idea of what's going on and how the mechanism works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I just realized that I must be in neutral, because I can move the bike back and forth a few feet.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
U almost had it the first time man. When it slid all the way down, then u pushed it forward until it stopped, without letting it rotate back, are u able to pull it out of the hole? If not, then the damn thing is in the correct position.

Also, it doesnt matter what gear the bike is in.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
If u still cant get it, u can facetime me if u have an iphone and Ill guide u thru it. Let me know and Ill message u my # if u need it.

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
If u still cant get it, u can facetime me if u have an iphone and Ill guide u thru it. Let me know and Ill message u my # if u need it.
Why would you assume that he made the poor choice of having an iPhone though? ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Seems like everyone in california has a damn iphone. The only reason I have one is cause my girl got it for me so I would finally stop using my Droid X.
If she's like my girl she got you an iPhone so she can stalk the "read receipts " on text messages. Lol. You have exactly 45 seconds after the "read" receipt to respond. I shook her world when I got rid of my iphone. :) my buddie's wife is the same way too! Haha

Anyway, I need to do my clutch cable on my 09 soon, is the manual pretty straight forward? Or is this a common issue to get stuck on?

Reactions: sbk1198
1 - 20 of 24 Posts