Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a used '04 636. I found what looks to be a good deal from someone who was working on a "project bike" but lost his job and can't afford any more work on it. Basically the guy who is selling it bought it from his buddy who had tried to "lash the valves" and ended up screwing up the timing so much the bike wouldn't start. So this guy bought it, figured out the timing issue and bought a power commander III. However he said it's still not running perfectly (sputters a iittle when accelerating) and claims this is only because it hasn't been mapped and finished.

I don't know enough about bikes to know whether it just needs to be mapped and finished ($400 job?) or whether there is something more substantial wrong with it which might require major bucks to repair. Short of bringing it to a dealership is there any way I can figure this out??

Thanks in advance for the help....

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The thing that would help us out determining if it is worth it or not, would be the price of the bike.

·
Registered
383 Posts
thats seems like a lot to me. I only paid 3500 for that runs perfect with 6500 miles on it. also came with stands two helmets and nice ass jacket.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Welcome. Yeah i would try getting that price down. Its seems high for a bike not running correctly. If you end up buying it and getting it mapped but still doesnt run right, you would have to spend some more money to get it fixed.

Hell i paid 5k for an 07 that had only 600 miles.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah that's way high. Bb value for that bike is less than that in pristine condition.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah that's way high. Bb value for that bike is less than that in pristine condition.
I dont think people on craigslist ever even look at kbb there are idiots near me trying to sell 2003 ninja 250s for almost 4 grand. I could buy a new one for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's my feeling. I don't want to inherit a bunch of problems. Thanks for the feedback. So where are you guys finding all these great deals on bikes? I'm looking for an '04 with low miles. CL prices are high around here and not too many available....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts