Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just as the title states this is what I exactly did of course by accident. I realized my mistake and removed the drain plug and re inserted with the correct spec. Did I probably cause any damage ? Is there a chance that there is metal inside now the oil pan ? I’m wondering if I should drain the new oil just to be sure. Any thoughts ? Has anybody does this by chance. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
When you pulled it back out- did any threads come with the bolt?

Did the threadas in the pan look fine upon visual inspection?

Did the bolt thread back in fine by hand til bottomed, then you tightened it up to proper tq spec?

finally, the crush washer, did you look at it?- overtightening them usually (always) causes them to get a groove and eventually that causes some minor oil leak whcih requires replacing said washer

me personally- I still have the oe original crush washer on my drain plug after dozens and dozens of oil changes (but I am slightly under torqued since it is safety wired anyways), but I see maybe 50-75 bikes every year with them completely crushed and grooved, some rounded right over the head of the bolt that all need replacing..........
It is not something you need to replace every oil change, but it is something to clean and look at every oil change and then replace as necessary

pic of an abused and used up drain plug crush washer.........

Attachments

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
So just as the title states this is what I exactly did of course by accident. I realized my mistake and removed the drain plug and re inserted with the correct spec. Did I probably cause any damage ? Is there a chance that there is metal inside now the oil pan ? I’m wondering if I should drain the new oil just to be sure. Any thoughts ? Has anybody does this by chance. Thank you.
You need to learn how to hand tighten the oil drain, and not rely on a torque wrench. That’s all that is necessary.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're fine. Make sure to use a new crush washer every time. Don't stress.. And YES! Always torque to spec. Steel on steel is fine when hand torque by feel BUT, a Steel bolt into Aluminum Threads?????? You tell me?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The torque spec police are coming for you now buddy. 10 over and they're gonna start taking points off your license. Just put the torque wrench down and step away from the motorcycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts