Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm having a problem with my throttle sticking. I just recently replaced the motor, the old one slung a rod. I kept the same throttle bodies and throttle cables etc. I did undo the c-clamp looking housing over the throttle on the handlebar. Now I put it all back together and it won't snap back to close. I've tried taking the bar end off and rolling the grip up so it doesn't touch anything. I am in some serious need of guidance. If I don't have the housing over it it seems to snap back fine, but as soon as I put the housing on it won't snap back, it stays wide open. I am at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
.....If I don't have the housing over it it seems to snap back fine, but as soon as I put the housing on it won't snap back, it stays wide open.....
Seems like you've already located the problem area. Try lubing the cable and grease the inside of the housing.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Sounds like the cables are gettin hung up somewhere. try taking everything apart and see if there not catching on something also be good time to lube the cables while your at it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I followed the wires back to the throttle body and they aren't hung up anywhere, they are strait to it with no twists. I hit the ends with lube I need to go buy a luber today to get in there. I don't see any damage or wear so if it's not lubrication problems any other ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
sounds like you're tightening the housing too much or something and it's binding up the mechanism on the inside. Does it still snap back if you put the housing on and hold it together by hand before tightening down the screws?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even when I have it super loose, with the screws practically not even in it still won't close....

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
does your clip on have a hole drilled in it and the housing has a dowel that's suppose to fit inside that hole? If you don't line those up, the sleeve will get bound up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea it has the hole and simple that goes in it, I've got them lined up, I'm truthfully at a loss.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The throttle tube on mine was doing something similar and found it was just gummed up under the throttle tube. I just pulled the bar end off and slid the tube off, cleaned all the old lube and gunk out from under the tube, inside the tube and inside the housing. Put a bit of lithium grease back in and it worked like new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'll have to give that a try, it can't hurt. But when I don't have tie throttle cables hooked up it slides back and forth with ease...

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You said that before you put the housing on and turn the throttle to pull the cables they spring back without binding right? It only takes a few seconds to pull the bar end off and pull the tube off clean things up. I just used a little WD40 and a rag and it cleaned all the gunk off really easily.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Any word? Generally interested, going to be taking up slack in cables in spring and lubing every thing up.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Throttle cable free play

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I honestly have no clue how I mess with free play. I've unscrewed the lock screw and the other thing has never went anywhere

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Mine has two cables, One to open the throttle the other to close it.
I have to adjust them both to keep down slack ( I have none) & to have good snap back.

There's an adjusting nut, the long one, & the locking nut, the short one.
loosen the short one & play with the adjusting nut....

As peps have said, lube, check for kinks, Inspect the tube, etc etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts