Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 636 and the gas tank was full of rust. I did the bbs and MEK to remove as much as I could. I also took out the fuel pump and cleaned it out as well. Then I put some 93 octane non ethanol gas in it along with 1/4 bottle of seafoam. I did all this because it was acting like it wasn't getting gas after I drove 50 miles or so. But the issue doesn't seem to be fixed.

My issue is that when I rev in neutral, it can go to 15,000rpm no problem smooth as butter, but when I am driving (in every gear) it sputters and hesitates up until 8,500. It still drives ok, but it sounds like one or more of the cylinders might not be firing in the low rpms. Once it gets above about 9,000rpm, it runs like a beast. But if I start to accelerate full throttle before reaching 9,000rpm, it sputters and hesitates until I get over 9,000rpm.

The previous owner took off the midpipe and the exhaust goes straight out under the footpeg. The FI light is on as a result (I checked the code 34). He also put new sprockets on 1 tooth up and 2 teeth down for the front and back respectively.

I will put a K&N in next week as well as change the spark plugs, but they seem to fire in neutral and after it gets higher in revs. So I'm thinking more along the lines of a timing or fuel supply issue.

Anybody have an idea what it might be? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me if your fuel filter is causing an issue. Doing a "bucket" test per the manual is an easy way to check, which is to just put the fuel line into a beaker, then turn the bike on so the fuel pump primes for 3 seconds, and check how much fluid came out. Additionally, checking the fuel pressure could reveal this, although doing both is the best practice.

My fluid mechanics is a little rusty, but over 8-9k rpm your bike should open up the second set of injectors and simultaneously decrease the flow through the first set by half. Essentially you're still putting the same amount of fuel through it, but just injecting half of it higher up to take advantage of the absurd air velocity through the throttle bodies. Anyhow, you may still be under powered, but getting enough more fuel to think that there isn't a problem.

Just my two cents, I've had a few fuel issues with my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't surprise me if your fuel filter is causing an issue. Doing a "bucket" test per the manual is an easy way to check, which is to just put the fuel line into a beaker, then turn the bike on so the fuel pump primes for 3 seconds, and check how much fluid came out. Additionally, checking the fuel pressure could reveal this, although doing both is the best practice.

My fluid mechanics is a little rusty, but over 8-9k rpm your bike should open up the second set of injectors and simultaneously decrease the flow through the first set by half. Essentially you're still putting the same amount of fuel through it, but just injecting half of it higher up to take advantage of the absurd air velocity through the throttle bodies. Anyhow, you may still be under powered, but getting enough more fuel to think that there isn't a problem.

Just my two cents, I've had a few fuel issues with my bike.
Any idea how much gas should come out? Or where I can find out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out I had a misfire in the left cylinder. Pretty sure the guy that had it before me was too lazy to figure out how to get out that plug haha. New spark plugs and the beast is running strong!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts