Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about everyone's thoughts on renting a ZX-6r for a week or somehow getting a longer-term test ride. The purpose would be to get a better sense of living with the bike for a week or so. It seems like dealers in my area are no longer giving test rides for the supersport class bikes. I am in Maryland by the way. I've actually test ridden the bike before and I've had a GSXR-750 previously. Just wanted to get people's thoughts on how a multi-day test ride or even rental from someone might work. Maybe someone in D.C., Maryland, or Virginia would be comfortable with a loaner situation. Maybe I give them my car for collateral haha. No sure, again just curious.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you looking for someone on the forum near you to loan their bike to you, or are you asking if its a good idea to borrow one?

If you're asking if its a good idea then shit man, you do you, you're the only one who will know if you can live with it and if you think its a good idea then send it.

Find someone willing to let you, give collateral, if they like your collateral then it's a win.

There is some app or website that lets you rent bikes from people, maybe look into that for some help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you looking for someone on the forum near you to loan their bike to you, or are you asking if its a good idea to borrow one?

If you're asking if its a good idea then shit man, you do you, you're the only one who will know if you can live with it and if you think its a good idea then send it.

Find someone willing to let you, give collateral, if they like your collateral then it's a win.

There is some app or website that lets you rent bikes from people, maybe look into that for some help.
Just curious about the idea in general. I think it would be a dream lol. I just keep thinking OK you go to a demo day and then you're supposed to plunk down 10k or so for a sportbike (unless you go used obviously) and then its a full commitment haha. Honestly, just kinda throwing the idea out there and curious about anyone's thoughts, not looking for anyone to accommodate me specifically. I guess everyone takes that chance when they buy a bike/car/etc. Although I will say this...Carmax, for example, gives you a little 7 day guarantee which is interesting, how cool would that be with a bike!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know of any rental outfits that do sport bikes, except on a closed track. The insurance would be hideous. HD, maybe BMW touring rigs…. Possibly dual sport…. Not super sport
Ah, the track idea is interesting. That definitely gives you more exposure, training, etc. than any demo day or test ride. Love that idea. Still an expense, but a way better experience than 10k or so on something you might not stick with in the long run.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not 100% about this but I believe the company is "riders share"

I understand though, definitely check out demo days and get a feel for it or honestly look more into renting for a track day like RJ said.

·
Director of Moderation
7,571 Posts
Shiiiit....and here I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, bought a few bikes that I had never even sat on before from out of state, without having even seen them in person and had them delivered lol Or when I got my Aprilia RSV4 and drove almost 7 hours each way to get it, and I ended up not liking it, got rid of it after like 5-6 months lol

It's not much different with a car, unless you go to a car rental place and rent one out for a few days. But with bikes, being considered "toys", it's gonna be tough to do unless you find someone willing to lend you their bike for a few days. The nice thing though is unless you buy brand new from a dealer, bikes don't depreciate like crazy right away. If you buy a lightly used bike for like $10k and you decide you don't like it after a couple of months, you can sell it for pretty close to that same price. Especially if you find a good deal on one, you might be able to even sell it for more, so then you don't end up losing anything.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
With Covid it's getting really hard to find dealers who have stock for a start and those that do don't seem to want to lend them out for testing. People are pre-ordering bikes and a lot of inventories are selling out before the containers arrive. Supply and demand...

Reactions: rs6

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shiiiit....and here I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, bought a few bikes that I had never even sat on before from out of state, without having even seen them in person and had them delivered lol Or when I got my Aprilia RSV4 and drove almost 7 hours each way to get it, and I ended up not liking it, got rid of it after like 5-6 months lol

It's not much different with a car, unless you go to a car rental place and rent one out for a few days. But with bikes, being considered "toys", it's gonna be tough to do unless you find someone willing to lend you their bike for a few days. The nice thing though is unless you buy brand new from a dealer, bikes don't depreciate like crazy right away. If you buy a lightly used bike for like $10k and you decide you don't like it after a couple of months, you can sell it for pretty close to that same price. Especially if you find a good deal on one, you might be able to even sell it for more, so then you don't end up losing anything.
Yeah this info is golden. I appreciate the honesty too! I've been in that situation before and I'm trying to prevent it with a possible ZX-6r ABS purchase in the future.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I certainly get why folks don’t do demo rides or rent sport bikes. Too many undisciplined folks. I’d be surprised if you are able to find someone. I won’t let anyone ride my bike particularly a friend. Too many folks have have had friendships ruined when a “friend” wrecks their bike. So next best thing is research.

I’ve never ridden any bike I’ve had before I bought them. My first 600 was a Yamaha FZ6. I bought it and rode it home. Coming from a year on a Ninja 250 it was scary big and fast. Next was a CBR600RR. Did a lot of reading and looking at the supersport bikes in general and the CBR in particular. Seemed like the most livable bike at the time and didn’t disappoint. Wanted ABS so tried to find a CBR600RR with ABS but couldn’t. Wound up with a ZX6R 636ABS. Knew it was similar to CBR in livable (for a super sport) ergonomics from reading reviews.

if you are looking for a 600 class sport bike for everyday riding the ZX6R is the best. Just go buy one. If you are trying to decide if you want a ZX6R, or a HD Road Glide, or a BMW R1250GS, or a Ducati Multistrada, or a Goldwing, then that is a much more difficult question. Just buy the BMW and say goodby to your life’s savings :). I’m being sarcastic of course but IMO the real question is what do you want from your bike? Fun rides on the weekend, ride to work and back, take trips, etc. IMO the ZX6R is a fun powerful and fast bike that can be wicked fast on a canyon road yet is easy enough to ride in day to day traffic. I rode mine as much as 600 miles in a day - 0 miles the next day LOL. The 636 make it similar to the GSXR750 in more flexible than a 600. Was easier to ride than the CBR600R.

·
Director of Moderation
7,571 Posts
I certainly get why folks don’t do demo rides or rent sport bikes. Too many undisciplined folks. I’d be surprised if you are able to find someone. I won’t let anyone ride my bike particularly a friend. Too many folks have have had friendships ruined when a “friend” wrecks their bike. So next best thing is research.

I’ve never ridden any bike I’ve had before I bought them. My first 600 was a Yamaha FZ6. I bought it and rode it home. Coming from a year on a Ninja 250 it was scary big and fast. Next was a CBR600RR. Did a lot of reading and looking at the supersport bikes in general and the CBR in particular. Seemed like the most livable bike at the time and didn’t disappoint. Wanted ABS so tried to find a CBR600RR with ABS but couldn’t. Wound up with a ZX6R 636ABS. Knew it was similar to CBR in livable (for a super sport) ergonomics from reading reviews.

if you are looking for a 600 class sport bike for everyday riding the ZX6R is the best. Just go buy one. If you are trying to decide if you want a ZX6R, or a HD Road Glide, or a BMW R1250GS, or a Ducati Multistrada, or a Goldwing, then that is a much more difficult question. Just buy the BMW and say goodby to your life’s savings :). I’m being sarcastic of course but IMO the real question is what do you want from your bike? Fun rides on the weekend, ride to work and back, take trips, etc. IMO the ZX6R is a fun powerful and fast bike that can be wicked fast on a canyon road yet is easy enough to ride in day to day traffic. I rode mine as much as 600 miles in a day - 0 miles the next day LOL. The 636 make it similar to the GSXR750 in more flexible than a 600. Was easier to ride than the CBR600R.
Interesting....most of those magazine reviews always used to say that the CBR is the most comfortable and easiest bike to ride out of the 600 class, especially for day to day riding...at least in the last 15 years or so, not looking at anything older. After having one as well, I tend to agree with that. It's the slowest out of the 600 class, not great at anything, but good at everything overall. But in the end I still prefer ZX6R's and R6's just because of the type of riding I do :)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I get what the OP is saying, and I wish it was more inline with my buying experience with 4 wheeled vehicles where I have routinely been allowed to take a vehicle for a day or weekend or even longer.........
and as AL says I am sure it has much to do with the shitty low quality of training and discipline of most riders and the fact their insurance claims would likely be sky high and thus their rates sky high and they would have to raise prices to cover that ( hell for me.. I would be more than happy to actually hand them full payment on the condition that after I ride it for a week I either have to actually buy the thing or return it in the same condition I picked it up in, and provide my own insurance on it for that time and be responsible for any and all damages)---but I get the lack of rental opportunities for sportbikes ..... how would you really make any monies unless you charged exhorbanant fees and could easily track the vehicle 24/7 and do all the repair and servicing yourself or atleast get it for a very reasonable cost

Locally here most the dealers still do multiple demo rides each season (but these are led rides in groups of 2-8 bikes at a time at barely speed limit speeds for very short around town distances of sub 10 miles), and several of the dealers still allow (or did 2 years ago) certain bikes to be test ridden solo by their best customers, sometimes for a weekend or more....... can't even tell you how many "brand new" bikes I have seen on the local dealers showfloor with 1000 miles on them

sadly that also makes them (in my eyes) used bikes....... when they now sit on the showfloor with 700-1500 miles on them of who knows what kind of riding (likely not the kind of riding I would approve of anyone else to be doing on MY bike...... oh wait, nobody ever gets to ride my bikes and I nearly always by them brand new in the crate and sign off on the pre sale checks or assemble the little things myself before wheeling it into the truck to bring it home)

but many times those are more driven by factors like.......... the manufacturers want people to ride their bikes, Ducati for years had a demo reimbursement program (maybe they still do?) where the dealers actually got reimbursed some monies for the miles put on the demo bikes.......... a couple of local dealers even had some track day events and brought the fleet to those trackday events for people to sign up and get to ride on the local track for a session (maybe 15 mile or 20 miles depending on their pace)

I do not understand at all...........
dealers selling used bikes and refusing to allow someone to go test ride it before buying it....... I mean it is already used, how is another 10-30 miles going to effect its sale price at all????? It is not, sans tomfuckery and illegal actions which can be prosecuted.......... but I do understand the new bikes not being "test driven" by every tom dick and loser lowlife without a pre approved proof of funds available and signed agreement of liability and intent

...... I thankfully have the luxury to get to ride lots of bikes that are not mine, and when I decide to a start looking for a new bike for myself (or when my customers ask me for advice on them buying a new or new to them bike) I have usually already ridden what I am looking for multiple times for dozens or hundreds of miles...... I am thankful to have that priviledge.... but there are a few bikes I have regretted buying still
a 1983 HD FXRT with its whopping 50hp and 660 lbs of slowness and ill handling shaking, a 1989 FZR1000 with its fragile transmission and shitty hinged in the middle handling, a 1993 CBR900RR that I raced for one day and sold the fucking wobbling pile o dung, and the 1993 ZX11 that broke the crank twice in sub 48,000 miles.... these for sure make that short list of huge mistake purchases......
There has only been 2 bikes of approx 50 that I have bought site unseen, both were 06 ZX6R's, one in Virginia (1200+ miles each way) and one in ???? kansas I think........ but neither one did I even pay 1500 for, I think the VA bike was 1200 and the kansas bike was 1400, the truck drive there and back would have added perhaps 500-600 to the VA bike, maybe 200 to the kansas bike...but they were just being turned into trackbikes or being bought for a couple of specific parts needs for other trackbikes .....

·
Registered
731 Posts
The CBR600RR was a 2012 and the ZX6R a 2014. The CBR was easy to ride and comfortable but the difference in midrange and low end torque was significant. In normal riding it was much easier to stall the CBR than the ZX6R. Just normal riding I would rarely take the ZX6R over 6 to 7 thousand. Even when full on it didnt need to be wrung quite as tight. CBR was fast when kept on the boil with shifts near the redline. My current 2020 Tracer GT in contrast has lots of power everywhere but I still miss the rush at the top end of the ZX6R.

I’m in Sunnyvale CA for almost a month!!! Today drove the rental Jeep Compass out to near Half Moon Bay. Some great roads and heard sport bikes but I had to contend with the Mrs. saying “arn’t you going a little fast” as I headed into a marked 30mph turn at 40 mph. Can’t complain as I’ve done lots of mountain roads on solo motorcycle trips this year while she had to stay home with her 93 yo mother. LOL we went on a hike which was short and 2.3 miles steep DOWNHILL!!! Then I had to walk 2.3 miles steep uphill to get back! Great views though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly really pumped by this conversation. I was expecting a lot of backlash and "you're and idiot" comments haha. Looks like people have different experiences and opinions all across the board. One central theme I've picked up on though...get a ZX6R haha! Working on it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts