Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, as the title states, this doesn't look too good to me. I'm not an internal expert by any means, but I am learning. I was taking the headers and radiator off to get all of the overspray from the previous owner taken care of. Once I removed the the headers I noticed this disgusting amount of carbon build up (pics of #3). My next big project is going to be the valves, it looks like. I have performed a compression test already and got the following results; 1/166 2/162 3/153 4/159 with #3 being slightly out of spec. My main question is regarding seafoam. I have heard quite a few good things about it, but have never used it. Is it ok to spray seafoam in there as well as down through my throttle bodies and let it soak for a week or two? I'm mainly concerned of what would happen if it seeps down into the cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Exhaust side:

Intake side (best shot I could get, but they're gunked up:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm no expert here, but the one or two times I've used Seafoam, I've only let it sit in there for 10-15 minutes. Idk how good of an idea it would be to let it sit for a week, but I'm sure somebody will chime in here with a better answer

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I have no idea either - I'm mostly just commenting to bump the thread so that someone more knowledgeable can help :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've only used it in cars, just in the intake/ throttle body, let it sit for a half hour, and produced a smoke screen once I started it up!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Mattel said something about it in a previous thread, but of course I cant find it. I'm assuming it's ok for some of it to seep into the cylinder. Mattel, where are you man!?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Eddie (Mattel) is selling/sold the 636. I don't know if he lurks here any longer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yup 3 is down by about 4Lb, not disastrous though. Before you do anything drastic try 10Ml of this stuff down each of the 4 spark plug holes and leave over night.
EXTRALUBE ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment
Motorcycles and ZX1

In the morning, spin the engine over without the plugs in- then re-check the comp, if its recovered, you had a sticky ring!, if its not recovered you have a valve issue....

I would not use a corrosive in there, and the problem is nothing to do with the dirty exhaust port.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. So OldBoy, if it is indeed a sticky ring would this treatment fix that issue or just tell me it's time for rings?

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. So OldBoy, if it is indeed a sticky ring would this treatment fix that issue or just tell me it's time for rings?
Yeah lets hear the answer, I want to try that as well.

Where are ya OldBoy???

Reactions: 40acres

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know about leaving SeaFoam in for that long in this application but I dump a can in my tank as part of my winterizing process. I've never had any issues with it, in both cars and motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your compression seems a little low, at 26k i do believe your almost due for a valve adjusment which should help out
Thanks, I'm assuming the previous owner never did adjust the valves judging by how the rest of the bike was treated. I had planned on doing the valves after this summer, but I'll probably end up doing it sooner. I'm just ready to get this thing on the road here in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Apols, I am in the U.K so time diff, that stuff will unstick the ring (if that is the problem), my suggestion would be to add 100Ml to your oil at the next change as well, and 50Ml in your tank (to act as an upper cylinder lube), that will stop the problem re-occurring.

Take on board what was said about valve clearance as well, the valve clearances do tend to close up after the sort of milage you say is on this bike. the exhaust side tends to be the worst culprit.

But I would do the engine treatment first...............

By the way that stuff isn't an oil additive, its a metal treatment, do not confuse it with other stuff.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I saw that it was a metal treatment. I don't know about putting it in my oil, but I'm for dang sure going to see if I can find a bottle of it stateside and treat those cylinders! Thanks again for the tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts