Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it looks really close to stock, and that’s by intent.

But I started thinking about all the bits and bobs I’ve either replaced or repaired, along with routine maintenance and the list is longer than I thought.

Rear shock. Rebuilt forks. Steering neck bearings. Oil pump. Stator (twice), lowered pegs, taller wider bars, braided brake lines, new windshield, new center cowl, inner fairing pieces, multiple chains and sprockets, at least 1 battery, I think 6 sets of tires, plugs, filters, oil pump. Coolant overflow tank. Rear brake reservoir holder. Rear turn signals.

I added the Sato engine sliders after I had to replace the gear shift lever — that’s now a folding tip design.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
9,527 Posts
I know you really like those Avon Storm 3D X-M tires......

How did you get introduced and turned on to them and what kind of price have you been having to pay for a set....

one of my distributors is pushing them and at less per set by more than $100 from the Dunlop variants (of course Dunlop has multiple rebates per season to end consumer and they have dealer promotions a few times a year too, so really it comes down closer to $50 per set less after those dealer promo's)

· Registered
16,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lloyd, my wife ordered them online after researching various motorcycle forums…. The talk was good concerning durability and handling. I had burned through a set of Pilot 3, and then a set of Pirelli Angels in what I thought was a ridiculously low mileage. Something like 3509 and ~6K miles(7500?).

The first set lasted well over 13K— not quite the stated 15K Avon claimed in their ads at the time, but still much longer lasting than anything I had used to that point. I wanted a tire that could go more than my annual use which has been 7500/yr. With my lower usage, they go 3 years or more in my use. It’s now to the point where the chain and the tires have similar life. Much easier to coordinate down time as a result.

The first pair were more than $300 retail, and the cost/benefit was entirely due to less cost from less mount/balance/disposal iterations.

The biggest issue with them is they feel a bit rubbery, if they are not run at full recommended tire pressure. 36/41 psi cold gives very good feel and durability.

As they have become more common and the price per set has come down, the cost/benefit has increased. Imho you get what you pay for. I believe the life of the tire also has to do with the depth of tread on the carcass. I think that is the source of the rubbery feel when you first experience them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts