Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep the spacers from falling out a million times when you are installing the rims. It is a 06 636 track bike.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Its really aggrivating. I actually had to get a friend to stop by and help. There has to be a better way or trick.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
05/ 06 suck dick when it comes to putting on rear wheel. I wish I had good pointers but it's annoying ad hell.

Reactions: pucksdown

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
05/ 06 suck dick when it comes to putting on rear wheel. I wish I had good pointers but it's annoying ad hell.
It's really not that bad...if you put some grease on and just hold the rim/tire in place with your knee you can then slide the axle bolt right through....I dont have trouble anymore with it. Just that first time lol

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It's been a pain in the ass everytime I've done it on this bike and nothing like this on any other bike I've done it on. My mechanic asked me to just bring the wheel from now on because how annoying it is.

Reactions: zx6ixxer

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
It's been a pain in the ass everytime I've done it on this bike and nothing like this on any other bike I've done it on. My mechanic asked me to just bring the wheel from now on because how annoying it is.
:rotfl

I really can't imagine why....its just hand/eye coordination I guess... :O
In the beginning it helped tons to have a friend help, but eventually I learnt to do it myself because well....I had no choice. You would be surprised at how much the grease helps hold it in place. Besides...you should be cleaning/greasing the spacers/axle bolt everytime you take your wheel off IMO

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Nothing useful....... practice makes perfect.

I never had any issues with them, but they do make captive spacers if it is that bothersome and you are going to be doing it often.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
In the front pull the fender off and slide the wheel from the top. Use bearing grease to hold them in place.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
I usually put some blocks of wood under the tire just to bring it to level with the axle holes on the swingarm. I actually have a shitty time trying to keep the spacers on as well. I guess ill try the grease method next time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I usually put some blocks of wood under the tire just to bring it to level with the axle holes on the swingarm. I actually have a shitty time trying to keep the spacers on as well. I guess ill try the grease method next time.
I have blocks made to keep both the front and rear wheels at just the right height to line everything up. Makes changing at the track easier, as I usually change at least once or twice a weekend. More if the weather is off and on rain:crazy

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I used to get frustrated but I found an almost perfect technique over the last couple of years and hundreds of tire changes that makes installing the wheels as easy as spreading soft butter on hot toast. It really is all in the technique. I actually do have 3 brand new sets of captive spacers hanging on the wall in my garage that I've never installed because right after I bought them I realized for me they would be more trouble than they are worth. 1) I have 7 sets of rims and didn't want to buy spacers for all of them and 2) I can't balance the wheels on my existing balancer with the spacers in. With captive spacers you would have to balance them with the axle in (or get an old axle and make it your balancing shaft).

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Like the guys have said a big dab of grease will help, Also I use a couple 2x4's to help leverage the tire wheel into place.
Another thing I do that makes it easier for me, Is remove the caliper from the bracket.
& be sure to install the axle from the right/caliper side. I've seen several installed from the left.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I sit on the ground and use my feet to support the wheel. I use my hands to hold the spacers and wiggle the wheel.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
FastFrankRacing

And you're welcome

Captive wheel spacers and Captive Rear Caliper Bracket

Again you're welcome....

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Reactions: zx6ixxer
1 - 20 of 51 Posts