Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Street Rossi
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time will be in 3 weeks. Never ridden track before. Any advice? I will be part of a school so I won’t be all free reign but some of it! Thank you for the help gentlemen! Won’t be on my Ninja sadly but a current model year R6.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
My first time will be in 3 weeks. Never ridden track before. Any advice? I will be part of a school so I won’t be all free reign but some of it! Thank you for the help gentlemen! Won’t be on my Ninja sadly but a current model year R6.
Who with......... perhaps we can give more educated experience with that service provider.........

But a few common sense tips........... since common sense is not common at all anymore.........
~It is not a race and nobody is the fastest at a trackday and no trophy or accolades for trying to be
~ pay attention and don't go off chasing someone riding faster than you are comfortable with to "learn their lines".... ie don't really ride even 80% of as fast as you think you can for several on track sessions, to perfect your lines and memory
~ study some youtube video of the track you are attending from motorcycle on bike footage if possible....... also download the trackmap and print it- draw on it all you want and need
~get a good nights sleep before hand and get hydrated!
~ shade and keeping cool during the day as well as a comfortable chair are your friends even more so late in the day

Reactions: jcmuirkw and Assman

·
Registered
Street Rossi
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent advice thank you, I have been watching videos of the track as well. I am a bit anxious but way more excited than anxious. I don’t want to push myself too hard I totally get the 80% rule. I’m there to learn and have fun not have any close calls. I’ll be there with YCRS.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Excellent advice thank you, I have been watching videos of the track as well. I am a bit anxious but way more excited than anxious. I don’t want to push myself too hard I totally get the 80% rule. I’m there to learn and have fun not have any close calls. I’ll be there with YCRS.

I have only ridden with them once and it was well run, but it was what........ 20 years ago or more now??? So they could certainly made improvements and changes in curriculum.........
~I found it geared much more toward racing and racing principals than that of the street rider ........... and no they do not truly overlap more than about 50% IMO, unless you ride like joerickyracer on the street--- I mean vision skills absolutely 100% --reality it is they are even more important (most important) on the street ( my best and biggest example---- TRAIL BRAKING, it is coached vigorously and for street riders riding at sane/pace type speeds you should not need to trail brake much and certainly not every corner!.Racers do this sure, and for obvious reasons--but that is controlled conditioned with knows and safety crews, with an ultimate goal of speed to defeat all comers---you have none of those on the street- or atleast you should never have any of those on the street!
~I vividly remember them harping on "Cold Tire crashes" which I find to be an absolute myth and Lie!!! There is no such thing, a crash is a crash is a crash, when you override the available traction available the result is the same and it sure the fuck is not the tires fault!!!!!!! It is the riders fault if you crash99% of the time and if you blame it on cold tires, or others do that for you- all that proves is you live in a blame anyone but me society and lifestyle!!! Tires did exactly what they were designed to do, period!!!!!!!

I have had a couple of my customers attend in the past decade, the two that standout to me are the two who crashed- and they played that blame game of the cold tires and both did it trying to trail brake harder and deeper

You going to Washington or going to Jersey??? I have been on Jersey, never been on Washingtons track...(but would like to)

Oh yeah............ if you do the two up ride, it will scare the shit out of you!!!!!!!!

Reactions: RJ2112 and Assman

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good luck, take pictures and make sure you warm up those fucking tires brother.

Reactions: Assman

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have fun first and foremost, talk to other people to learn from their experience, bring plenty of water and food and stuff to keep you comfortable and cramp free.
Don't worry about any bike performance shit except for recommended tire pressures at the track and maybe a baseline suspension tune (if you can get one done there or before you go, you just don't want a pogo stick in the front)
On the track just practice keeping your eyes open and follow the suggested lines the novice group instructors will show you.
You will naturally build speed and confidence as you get comfortable. I really stress be comfortable and have fun!
Take pics and maybe video, and post them here....

·
Registered
Street Rossi
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have only ridden with them once and it was well run, but it was what........ 20 years ago or more now??? So they could certainly made improvements and changes in curriculum.........
~I found it geared much more toward racing and racing principals than that of the street rider ........... and no they do not truly overlap more than about 50% IMO, unless you ride like joerickyracer on the street--- I mean vision skills absolutely 100% --reality it is they are even more important (most important) on the street ( my best and biggest example---- TRAIL BRAKING, it is coached vigorously and for street riders riding at sane/pace type speeds you should not need to trail brake much and certainly not every corner!.Racers do this sure, and for obvious reasons--but that is controlled conditioned with knows and safety crews, with an ultimate goal of speed to defeat all comers---you have none of those on the street- or atleast you should never have any of those on the street!
~I vividly remember them harping on "Cold Tire crashes" which I find to be an absolute myth and Lie!!! There is no such thing, a crash is a crash is a crash, when you override the available traction available the result is the same and it sure the fuck is not the tires fault!!!!!!! It is the riders fault if you crash99% of the time and if you blame it on cold tires, or others do that for you- all that proves is you live in a blame anyone but me society and lifestyle!!! Tires did exactly what they were designed to do, period!!!!!!!

I have had a couple of my customers attend in the past decade, the two that standout to me are the two who crashed- and they played that blame game of the cold tires and both did it trying to trail brake harder and deeper

You going to Washington or going to Jersey??? I have been on Jersey, never been on Washingtons track...(but would like to)

Oh yeah............ if you do the two up ride, it will scare the shit out of you!!!!!!!!
I will in WA so it should be an awesome track there I’ve heard good things. Looks beautiful. And I agree I will admit I do trail brake a lot on street but it’s usually when I’m going faster than I should for public roads. I agree with you, I appreciate the input and I’m 100% gonna do the two up ride. I wanna see feel what a bike can do in the proper hands. 😆

·
Registered
Street Rossi
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definitely be taking it easy until warmed up and comfortable especially not on my bike but I’m sure I’ll get used to it quickly.

·
Registered
Street Rossi
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be a sponge. Pretty much anyone and everyone whose there (with experiance) has something to offer. Use your ears twice as much as your mouth for awhile and you'll pick it up. Welcome to the addiction!
Use your ears twice as much as your mouth
Good advice in general lol, Thank you, will do. I’m sure I’ll meet some very skilled people there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts