Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me at least. For those of you who don't know... after a new rad cap, new reservoir, new water pump, new thermostat, new temp sensor, and my own head gasket replacement (new bolts and correct torque specs used), my car has not improved its overheating and poor running problem. I think on of the heads may be cracked, so I am done trying to salvage this thing. I have it listed in the classifieds if anyone wants to see it, but I believe I may take an offer of $550 that a guy offered me today (same day I posted my add on cl). Sucks to lose out on an otherwise decent car, and all that work didn't pan out :hmmm:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I wouldn't be too anxious to dump what should be a decent running car; unless you have a better alternative already lined up.

Overheating either means you are generating extra heat, or you cannot get rid of what is supposed to be there as designed.

Do you have a temp gauge on the 'stang? When does it overheat? Immediately, after a few minutes, or when you are pushing it hard?

What does your oil look and smell like?

What does your coolant look and smell like?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brand new oil, everything coolant related besides the fan (which works) and the rad (also works) has been replaced or bypassed (heater core). It's pissing water out the exaust (between the cat and header I found) will running, on the driver side. Not from head gaskets but from headers... so either a head crack or block crack. It's effed and I just need to get rid of it. I have done so much work on it it isn't even funny. Yes, I burped the shit out of it. It will idle (low) for a while and show that it is cool, but as soon as I rev it (it's on stands), the heat picks up. The water keeps pouring out and smokes out the back. I just need it gone so I can clean out the garage. This sucks but I can't do anything now.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Sorry, bud. I know you spent money on this over the bike and gear.

Reactions: Brandon35

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You must be enough $$$ into this to warrant fitting replacement head(s) and building the top end back up?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Should have bought a 86 nissan 300zx.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve I did all the work myself so I spent around $150. The labor is the expense. I work at mcdon's so money ain't abundant it's a loss for me now.

I'd rather save my money once I sell this thing and save for gear and when I get my next car, make sure it has had regular maintenance and lower miles. Fitting a new motor to an imperfect body is just not worth it, or feasible for me.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well now this guy must be talking with another guy that messaged me, because as soon as I txted him (we were emailing) he suddenly started asking about the car when the emailing guy had seen the cl listing. Wtf, he has me down to $600 :/

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I'd try to push it closer to a grand, if possible. It is a lot of car, except for the bits that aren't working. Have you thought about parting it out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts