Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads asking how to do swingarm swaps. Just none on why they do it or are interested in it. I understand going with an extended arm for some things. Just not my taste. Why do people switch to a newer model ninja swingarm? Is it purely for looks? Or does it improve the bikes suspension or something?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Well, I think a lot of the intent is to get rid of the standard swing-arm "bar" that the 04 and older zx6r's have (as well as 07-08 zzr), for a newer, more flowing style that compliments the bike's curve... and I do believe I remember somebody saying that thir bike felt more planted to the road after the swap, so It may add to traction as well. Not sure if they are much longer, but I do think it's also to gain a few millimeters of length without those ugly ass extensions.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Well, I think a lot of the intent is to get rid of the standard swing-arm "bar" that the 04 and older zx6r's have (as well as 07-08 zzr), for a newer, more flowing style that compliments the bike's curve... and I do believe I remember somebody saying that thir bike felt more planted to the road after the swap, so It may add to traction as well. Not sure if they are much longer, but I do think it's also to gain a few millimeters of length without those ugly ass extensions.
The 05-06 is the same length as 03-04. The 07-08 is a hair longer.

It does add stability but you have to play with your suspension to get the agility back.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
I did it for looks as the 04 comes with a boring box swingarm. Having a braced swingarm is much more modern looking.
Also the stock 05 swingarm was lighter than the stock J swingarm.
So 1 you get the modern look
2 the added strength
& 3 save weight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are there any swingarm years that are easier to swap out? For example, is it easier to swap a 98-99 with an 05-06 or an 07-08, or are they basically all the same because dimensions change anyway with the swingarms?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Are there any swingarm years that are easier to swap out? For example, is it easier to swap a 98-99 with an 05-06 or an 07-08, or are they basically all the same because dimensions change anyway with the swingarms?
Aside from length everything between 05-06 and 07-08 is the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts