Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great read by the Hamster from the real Top Gear. If you're too lazy to read the entire thing (which you shouldn't be, because this speaks to the avid motorcyclist in most of us, and makes a nod at why we really ride), here are a few tidbits:

Hammond on: time travel and motorbikes

I watched for cars coming up behind me, accepting that even the dreariest of hatchbacks piloted by the most ancient of shoppers could easily pass me, and I felt a sting of indignation as they did so, but I responded with a snarl and a sneer, ducking my head a little further out of the slipstream and bracing my shoulders against the handlebars' writhing as the front wheel tramlined and skipped on the suddenly brutal road surface.

This the rebel in all of us... how I felt when I got caught in a huge deluge on a cold-as-nuts day on the Interstate doing 80 mph, when cars, oblivious to my suffering, blasted past me. Honestly, I don't think I would have wanted to be in one of those cars at that moment, despite all that misery. Somehow, it was worth it, and by enduring that pain that day, I felt I was essentially pointing a huge middle finger at the rest of the sensible world that valued predictability and comfort over anything else.

Nurses are being asked to wear fat suits, the better to appreciate what life is like for their morbidly obese patients. A good thing, probably; empathy and sympathy being an important part of their noble jobs, and all that.

I think that motorists should be forced to ride a puny moped every now and then, the better to appreciate what life is like for the scooter-bound.

Agree with this bit, and I think everyone should know what it is to ride a motorized two-wheeler. Just so that the average cager can understand what it is really like, and should feel less inclined to cut us off.

And, best of all, my daughter Izzy is helping me, and, as we work, she talks excitedly about the day she gets to learn to ride it round the garden, and I picture her laying down the markers that she will one day reconnect with in the far, far future.

I haven't procreated yet, but there is the joy you feel when someone comes up to you and shares your passion and enthusiasm for the two-wheeled organ-extractors that we ride.

All said and done, I would want a moped at some point to potter around town... sure, I might look like a giraffe straddling a unicycle, but hey, I couldn't care less for what other people think.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't be a substitute for the 6R. Just something to have around for fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts