Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got the bloody thing. After numerous goes trying to pick it up in our truck we finally got down and back. I just got it insured and a road worthy done today. Did 300km the first day on it. Has more poke than I expected. It's an absolute blast to ride but I don't even have words to describe the handlebars. I feel like I'm licking my knuckles. After 5 minutes my elbows and wrists start cramping and my lower back isn't enjoying the straight friendly seating position either. First mods will be clips ons or drag bars! I need to feel like I'm kissing the pavement to be comfortable. It came with a windscreen but I removed it because I like the look of the cancerous bulb of a guage cluster. The wind factor is pretty intense now. I've taken it up to 190km/h and I couldn't get away from the blow and was physically being pushed back in the seat! Guess it's something I'm gonna have to get used to, or not ride so fast...

I've removed the mirrors and grab rails cos I just didn't like the look. Gotta get some bar end mirrors then (Nothing beats a look over the shoulder but has anyone had any experience with these, are they any good?). The brakes suck. We are seriously spoilt with the 6 brakes. The rear gives you nothing and the front locks if I push it anything like I do on the 6. The tires suck (Look at those chicken strips!) so I can't wait for some PP's. It actually scares me in the corners because of the bar position, I have a new phobia of counter steering on this bike. It's weird. It runs a lot wider than the 6, but that's probably just me. It's incredibly nimble at low speeds and very comfortable for casual sweepers but aggressive tight twisties is another story. I think most of my hesitation lies in tire trust.

Overall I am very happy with the bike. It has it's weaknesses but it is a budget machine. The little tickle (No, not that kind of tickle) and grin you get whilst riding it supersedes the flaws you see when it's parked in the garage. Some mods coming soon will be exhaust (Scorpion probably), fender eliminator, handlebar change, pazzo levers and some frame sliders ($350 for oggy knobs. Crickey!). I'm a tinker bitch so it will probably end up looking like a gay pride float once I get some more money. Mum is yet to have a ride but I hope she likes it, I bought it for her after all!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Top stuff Kylie...

Nakeds do take some gettign used to... I had a ride on a Z1000 a little while back and it took about 8 corners before i found the ideal riding position.

Have fun on it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good stuff, glad you like the new ride.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Cool bike, I like it:thumbup

If you haven't aready, you might want to try setting the sag front and rear, that will have a major affect on how it turns and might cure your running wide issue - if it still runs wide decrease rear sag by 5mm and give it another shot:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a big fan of the naked look but if it makes you happy that's all that matters.:)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
glad you got it, hope you learn to be more comfortable on the bike or you will not want to ride it

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Kawasaki brought the naked 6er to their dealer show here a little while back and were asking dealer owners if they thought it would sell in their shopps. My local dealer said it would and that he wanted some, so with some luck we just might see them stateside sooner or later:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
HotBike! will look even better after some MODS!! what kinda tank protecter do you hav on your 636?!

great post, like to see more NEW models and reviews :thumbup

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HotBike! will look even better after some MODS!! what kinda tank protecter do you hav on your 636?!

great post, like to see more NEW models and reviews :thumbup
It's made by Geelong Carbon Craft. Local company with some great (and expensive...) stuff.

Well I added dragbars (My wrists thank me), Oberon bar end mirrors, fender eliminator, new lights and rimstripes to the ER6. I also added a Scorpion exhaust but it's ridiculously loud. Like, embarrassingly loud. It sounds like shit too. Sounds like a chopper so looks stupid on such a bike. So back to stock and on eBay it goes considering Scorpion wont return my emails about a DB killer.

I also dropped it the other day. I was hauling ass down the road when I saw a dead animal so I'm like 'Ohh! Carnage. Gotta get me a closeup of that' so I did a quick U-turn on a too narrow road and went arse over tit. Was kinda funny. I was doing wheelies before the accident and it was a dead end road with no cars but it was still embarrassing. It was on dusk so it would have looked hilarious with the headlight falling over gradually, tumbling to the ground and a 'Shit!' echoing through the trees. Picked it up with a lot of effort and a probably pulled buttock muscle. No damage except to the bar end mirrors (Scratched to shit), few scratces on the motor, bent brake lever and a super bent front brake lever (Which is now replaced the old ZX6R's). R&G frame sliders are on the way from the US :coocoo

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very nice job on the mods!. The drag bar look is really cool. Sorry to hear about your mishap though,my wife drop her new bike last night also, It had to happen sooner or later( no harm to either ).

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been emailing Geelong Carbon Craft back and forth and I'll be lending them my bike to make some carbon stuff for the ER-6n/f models. Sweet. Finally a real tank protector!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and not on MySpace sorry Chad. Im on Last.FM. Thats about as hip as I get.

·
Registered
311 Posts
dont really like the looks of tank protecters.. the geelongs a nice but will cost a armnlegs to get over to the states.. you better get some free smack for lending them the ER -6n!

n theres nothing hip about MySpace:crazy

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can get a similar tank protecter from Carbon Works here in the states. We ordered our from our friend who has a shop in portland. He get them through lockharts philips, I think. You can contact my guy in portland at edrperformance.com

1 - 20 of 62 Posts