Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured all you cool guys had a build/picture thread for your bike, so I may as well too. I'll throw up pics and reviews of stuff as time goes on and give my opinions on things. If requested, I can do some pics and reviews of my gear as well. It will just be nice to have all my pictures and thoughts centralized in one place. Plus, I'll provide links and pricing on stuff I've gotten if desired as well. So, without further a due...

How I saw my first bike on the craigslist ad...

The guy I got it from turned out to be a wholesaler of really nice cars. He was also associated with Hendrick down here in the Carolinas which is a huge name. He has also sold some of Jeff Gordon's cars apparently. Bike was in good condition, started up just fine, and was a really good deal.

I ended up picking it up. Here is my first ride home, second motorcycle I had ever been on. First was a little Suzuki for a weekend for the MSF course. First time on public roads and certainly first time on a supersport. Note: Stupid grin on my face, and terrible helmet hair all present. :bigthumb:

Turns out, when transferring the title, that the bike was originally owned by a girl from CA no less. Upon further inspection, I found that the bike was lowered both front and rear as well.

Reactions: lance22me

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I wasn't about to have my bike lowered. I didn't know it at first, but it made the bike handle a lot like a scooter and it felt really odd beneath me, even for a first bike. So, my modding began! To help out with my progress, I joined up here shortly after and right before my birthday on July 20th :)

I found these bad boys sitting underneath being the culprit of my 3" lowering :no

While under there messing with things, I found that there was an odd piece sticking out that I didn't think should be. My thought is that the bike actually bottomed out on a speed bump or similar due to the lowering and bent this shield out. Needed replacing.

Both the stock links and shield I were able to source from guys on the forum and I was really grateful. Got my rear end up to the appropriate height, and I didn't have gawdy shield sticking out anymore :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and picked up a rear and front stand from Cycle Gear while they were on sale. Cheapies, but they do the job of raising the front and rear. Also, picked up some cheap Speed Metal spools for the rear to make use of them :bigthumb:

Along with garage stuff, I picked up some more tools and the service manual for the bike. I knew that it was available here in PDF, but I wasn't about to scroll through 500 pages on my laptop to find what I was looking for. I much prefer to look at it printed out. I noticed, when looking through the manual, that there was a difference between CA and Non-CA bikes. It appeared that CA bikes had a whole lot more emissions stuff on them. Doing some more research, turns out that this smog canister thing was, indeed, on my CA bike. It had to go.

Thus began the first teardown.

While I was in there, I also installed some Driven smog plates and did the Kleen air mod. Here's everything that came out :eek:

And rerouted vent lines.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You'll put your eye out.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike ran much smoother after removing all of the additional EPA crap and blocking the reed valves. I then picked up an exhaust (M4 GP) and removed all of the servo cables and passenger accommodations. Further help from the forum scored me a cowl and a Zero Gravity DB (an improvement over the Hot Bodies I think was on there).

How it sat.

After some of my trademark intense cleaning :wink:

Reactions: hellonearth

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, I forgot. When I first got the bike, something wasn't right with the clutch lever. I did research after looking at it the first time and saw that it had ASV C5s on it. Not cheap levers. However, the clutch was hanging loosely and made for a nervous ride home. It would fly forward if you didn't keep your hand there covering it :eek:

So, it needed to be fixed.

I could see what the problem was when I got them off. The previous owner had let the springs corrode and the small locating tab had busted off the clutch side. The brake side didn't look so hot either.

I sent these pics off to ASV to see what they could do for me. To my surprise, even though I wasn't the original purchaser, they did me right and sent me two entire rebuild kits. I only really needed the spring for clutch side, but I was able to rebuild both. Props to ASV!

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some Stomp grips to help with grip on my shiny and waxy (slippery) tank. I cleaned the surface thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, prepped with a hair dryer, got everything all warmed up, and slapped the Stomps on.

However, I could not get those damn things to stick. They would frequently come off and the ones on my trim pieces would fall off while I was at work and it was in the parking lot. It only took several times of me finding the trim pieces face down in the parking lot to want to try something else. To their credit, I have heard that Stomp is a good company to deal with to get replacements. I still wasn't really happy though...

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before I tried something else with the pads though, I wanted to upgrade my brake lines. Now I haven't had much experience on motorcycles, but I thought that front brakes should be grabbing MUCH more than they were on my bike. Thought some stainless lines would be able to help with less expansion than the rubber. Also the trick looks didn't hurt either. I ended up deciding on HEL's stealth line to match the bike. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the install because I hate working on brakes. I just wanted it done as quick as possible. :whatsthat:

How it sat after front and rear were done.

Speaking of things that didn't feel right on the bike, I never felt my tires were up to par. They were the stock Battleaxs and, though the bike only had 3400 miles when I got it, they were in questionable shape. The tread shape was very odd and the bike didn't want to lean into turns even after the rear was the right height.

I went to my buddy that was a shop manager at a local dealer and he HOOKED ME UP with some 2CTs. I think it was $230 for both INSTALLED?

I would have done it myself to save him some time, but this was right before my first big trip and wanted to get it done quick and right :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Needless to say, the bike felt 5 BILLION times better and actually WANTED to go into turns. It fell over instantly. My bud at the shop also put my forks back to the appropriate height and gave me a good baseline for rebound and compression. Everything felt much better. This was confidence inspiring for my first ride across state lines.

Met some peeps up in VA

(Not me in front, That's devildogae)

Reactions: lance22me

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done a decent amount of riding since then. Unfortunately, the biggest twisties I have around me are exit ramps and those are all right handed sweepers :whatsthat:

I'd love to head back out to Blue Ride Parkway. Hopefully make it to the Dragon this year. :bigthumb:

Here is how she sits today. I picked up some Superlite RS7 sprockets and a DID ERV3 in stock gearing to replace that crappy stocker that was all corroded.

I still like keeping her clean :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Very nice, tastefully done and looks very clean :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks good. it was a fun time when you came down to va
Yeah, def was a fun time :)

Very nice, tastefully done and looks very clean :bigthumb:
Thank you both.

As a wrap-up, things I'd still look to do...

-Bazzaz zfi
-BMC filter
-Finish gutting/painting headers (yes, I will finish them and do a write-up)
-Adjustable rearsets
-Rebuild calipers

Just for now... :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yeah, def was a fun time :)

Thank you both.

As a wrap-up, things I'd still look to do...

-Bazzaz zfi
-BMC filter
-Finish gutting/painting headers (yes, I will finish them and do a write-up)
-Adjustable rearsets
-Rebuild calipers

Just for now... :)
You'll put your eye out.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
450 Posts
very nice build. love the pop of the chain with the color

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
very nice build. love the pop of the chain with the color
Thank you sir :bigthumb:

Was thinking about some other highlights, but love the chain for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I want an '09 sooo bad now! She's exactly as I like them, clean, mean and with low profile and tasteful mods!

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want an '09 sooo bad now! She's exactly as I like them, clean, mean and with low profile and tasteful mods!
Thank ya :bigthumb:

Yes, I go for completely low profile. Gear is very subdued as well. I just like the chain highlight. Took the guard off obviously to show that sweet gold too.

Would also like some black forks from some other models to further murder it out.

Also had this idea a while back. Was going to fab up pieces to clean up the rear tail section. Most likely out of thinnish Delrin.

Passenger peg bolts would be replaced with flat head allens and capped. It would flow smoothly from the frame. Just thought it would look cleaner. Would be able to get a gloss black finish on the delrin too.

Reactions: AmigoFIN

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't use the passenger pegs nor do I ever ride two up on sport bikes so I removed mine. I did need a way to tie down the back of the bike when it is on my trailer, therefore, I made these on a CNC mil for my soft straps. I engraved "Rocket Man" onto them. I like where you are going with the fairing idea.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts