Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's looking like I'll be moving from Texas to Virginia fairly soon (mid-June) and I'm looking for ALL of my options in terms of moving all of my shit (bike included).

So last year, I moved from NYC to Texas and it was an absolute nightmare. I used a moving company and had them quote me $1800 for everything and was promised the price absolutely would not go up and that all of my shit would be there within 5 days.

Well, the second that the guys left my apartment with all of my shit, I get a call saying, they need $2000 more or they will be putting my stuff in storage. They needed the extra money because they "went over" the space "limit" in the truck. It was total bullshit.

I had no option, I paid them the extra money (I was FUMING), THEN I get down to Texas three days later.

Fast forward 31 days in an empty apartment and my shit FINALLY arrives.

.....I DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT want to do that again. Anyone have cost estimates for like uhaul, penske trucks, other REPUTABLE cross-country movers?

Any one else have other options or ideas what I can do and what would be the cheapest way?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I've rented a uhaul for moving before, but that's it...so it has always just been the standard costs for time/milage/whatever (which I'm sure are on their websites) for renting the truck :O

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've rented a uhaul for moving before, but that's it...so it has always just been the standard costs for time/milage/whatever (which I'm sure are on their websites) for renting the truck :O
So I found a hell of a deal with budget truck rentals.

Apparently for a 6 day rental of the 16' truck and unlimited milage it's only $500 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I found my truck....

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal man! I've never had bad experiences with budget and I've rented various things from them MANY times :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So I found a hell of a deal with budget truck rentals.

Apparently for a 6 day rental of the 16' truck and unlimited milage it's only $500 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I found my truck....
Would that be round-trip or one-way? A lot of rental companies will give you unlimited mileage on a round-trip if they know you're going to be going outside of their typical operating range, but would otherwise be bringing the truck back. Round-trip usage will always be cheaper than one-way since they're getting their equipment back. In my experience, one-way has always been double the cost (roughly), when compared to round-trip for the same mileage (unlimited) and days rented.

But otherwise, I kind of regret having done my WA to VA move the way I did it. Had to have a secondary shipping company ship my bikes, which was a headache. If it happens again, I'll rent the biggest damn truck I can afford.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would maybe look into some trucking companies or free-lance guys that own their own truck and find their own hauls. One's that are not associated with moving. They pull up, you load with some buddies and the trucker will probably beat you to your destination cuz they get paid per haul. I don't know of any free-lance guys but I know they're out there. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I would maybe look into some trucking companies or free-lance guys that own their own truck and find their own hauls. One's that are not associated with moving. They pull up, you load with some buddies and the trucker will probably beat you to your destination cuz they get paid per haul. I don't know of any free-lance guys but I know they're out there. Good luck with the move!
You basically just described U-Ship. Dealt with them when I shipped my bikes, not a bad way to do it, just have to make sure you're dealing with someone trustworthy and can sort out any damages should they occur. U-ship has a pretty strict policy on vendors, so there's a little bit of peace of mind there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know where to get a motorcycle pallet like this one? :

This would be IDEAL if I could get something like this to strap down INSIDE the truck for the move.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts