Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm currently in the process of re-building my 08 zx6r race bike and need to fit a new front brake, I've already got the discs and will use standard calipers but wondering if I could fit any other master cyclinders from bikes of other years which would be better than the standard 08. I dont wish to spend a fortune on a brembo or whatever, I hope someone could give me some advice on what to fit?

Many thanks, charlie.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you want the best for a race bike, go Brembo. I know you don't want to but it's totally worth it. I consider it the best upgrade on my bike. Was able to transfer it from my Daytona to my ZX6 when I joined teamkawi.

You can usually find them used for cheaper. They are pretty universal, you just got to get the right size or the right amount of banjos, etc.

For pads, I had a great experience with Carbon Lorraine but some people say they wear down rotors faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks man, I've looked at brembo's and I'm still considering but I thought if a standard master cyclinder from a newer zx6r would fit and makes a good difference it may save me some money, so trying to find out if any others are worth buying...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It probably will fit. Master cylinders are pretty universal. Most can be transferred from one bike to the other. It's not the actual master cylinder that is not compatible. It's either the banjo number or sizes, the brakelight sensor, or even the brake cables that aren't compatible or you might have to get others to fit. So really, as long as you get the right hardware, you can probably fit really any master cylinder on any bike.

Like I said, transferred the Brembo over no problem. The only thing that wasn't compatible was the fluid reservoir, which I basically had to make a mount for the stock reservoir. Everything else fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Telling you. That Brembo master is worth every penny especially on a racebike. The adjustability and the quality. If you start to experience brake fade, you can turn the dial up mid race or mid session for more braking power. You can't do that with stock masters. Telling you it'll be probably your best upgrade you do, maybe except for a race tuned full suspension.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
04 and earlier models use a shitty non-radial unit.

The 05/06 model runs a Nissin radial unit with a small 14mm piston and has a known pressure loss issue.

The 07+ models all run essentially the same unit which is also a radial Nissin unit that has a larger 16mm piston and no known issues.

In other words, the one that comes on your 08 model is the "best" and still current unit that Kawi runs.

As others have stated, if you want something that is better, go with an aftermarket unit. The Brembo RCS is a popular choice and I also like what Braking has to offer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't skimp on brakes if you want the best obviously the brembo is the way to go.. But if you want to keep it cheaper I would say the newer master cylinder are good they have a really good feel and not to strong of a bite until you do ss brake lines and sintered pads it will get more aggressive to be honest you won't really know what you need until you use a thermo gun to read the tempatures of the rotors after a real aggressive ride once you find tempatures you need you should do research of what can up hold the heat and keep you braking on the dime since I still ride on the street I still have pads that have a great bite when cold and can take the heat of a decent ride track day yet to come next weekend I'll be trying out my 19rcs under some heavy braking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys really appreciate your input I'll certaily be looking at a Brembo now that there won't really be any difference between my 08 and a 13 for example..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Got Brembo 19x20 mc on mine as I like the braking instant no play in lever , fantastic bit of kit, highly recommend....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive noticed there are two different types of the Rcs19 from Brembo?
It seems you can get a 18-20 or 19-20, some websites or adverts on ebay say one is better than the other for either use on road or racing but there isnt any clear answer as they contradict eachother..

Any help? I need it for racing. ????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts