Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has experience with this stuff?

These should arrive tomorrow; and will be installed on my '09 by the weekend. Wife ordered them, to encourage me to keep the ZX, rather than spend far more on a different machine. I had trouble understanding why it's a four piece kit just for the sides of the bike...... until I saw that you are supposed to install portions of the material on the plastic side panels below the tank.

I guess that's a foreign concept to me..... I've not thought about whether I already put any pressure on that plastic piece or not. I KNOW I make contact with the tank itself.Just weirded me out a little, seeing the pads stuck on to a piece of trim. Knowing that trim is flexible and textured, I just don't think a pad would stick to it all that well.

The website claims the glue is forgiving, and you can reposition the pads if you botch the positioning first time around, then goes on in the video to say you have to be careful separating the pad from the backing paper to make sure you don't lift off the glue with the paper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Who has experience with this stuff?

These should arrive tomorrow; and will be installed on my '09 by the weekend. Wife ordered them, to encourage me to keep the ZX, rather than spend far more on a different machine. I had trouble understanding why it's a four piece kit just for the sides of the bike...... until I saw that you are supposed to install portions of the material on the plastic side panels below the tank.

I guess that's a foreign concept to me..... I've not thought about whether I already put any pressure on that plastic piece or not. I KNOW I make contact with the tank itself.Just weirded me out a little, seeing the pads stuck on to a piece of trim. Knowing that trim is flexible and textured, I just don't think a pad would stick to it all that well.

The website claims the glue is forgiving, and you can reposition the pads if you botch the positioning first time around, then goes on in the video to say you have to be careful separating the pad from the backing paper to make sure you don't lift off the glue with the paper.
View attachment 106638
Ive got those on my 636. I never bothered with the side panel ones because I removed them. They work okay, I guess. I really only got them to cover up a big dent on the side of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up to the point where I added a pad to the seat on my '09, I've been quite comfortable using my riding pants to grip the tank. With that pad, I am more precariously perched, and could use some additional traction at what remains of my point of contact. The website says this material is 1/8th" thick, which is fairly substantial relative to their other offerings.

Have you had any issues with adhesion? Any difficulties on installation?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Up to the point where I added a pad to the seat on my '09, I've been quite comfortable using my riding pants to grip the tank. With that pad, I am more precariously perched, and could use some additional traction at what remains of my point of contact. The website says this material is 1/8th" thick, which is fairly substantial relative to their other offerings.

They stick and stay...I had them on my GSXR before I put a full tank cover on it and went to Eazi Grips.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything special as far as surface prep? Wiped down with alcohol or some such to remove any oils?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had a set for my 636 and did pull the glue off when I pealed the backing off. You will enjoy those, I have a big pad of the stuff thinking of cutting to put on my new bike. They are not supper aggressive and don't grip as well but also don't wear out gear like some do.

Your wife is a clever woman. My wife had heard me complain so much about my BMW (Bring My Wallet) that when it broke she happily sent my title and my checkbook.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Al,

I’ve known for quite some time that my wife is smarter than I am. She has difficulty expressing that innate superiority in a manner that is coherent to others; I know firsthand. I don’t have to understand how she arrives at the right answer, or re-create any part of her process to appreciate the result. Simply have to trust the demonstrated results, 😂.

If she’s willing to spring for risers as well, I’ll keep riding this bike until it fails.

looking at Woodcraft 3” side mount adjustable bar angle risers, with 12” bars and thinking I’ll need the weighted bar end sliders too. Have to think the oem bar ends won’t carry over.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ive noticed it started to peel a little towards the back of the tank. Granted this is on my racebike so theres maybe a bit more pressure put on it in certain areas. My fuel tank is also black which makes it get a little hotter in the sun which could make the adhesive soften up. Im not concerned about it falling off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have them on my Ninja 1000 abs...work great

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
I have them on the ZZR and both ZX6R's and have installed them on dozens of customer bikes, track and street....

they place easily, stay where you put them and grip adequately but don't ruin the inside of the knee on your leathers and they do come back off without much fuss when you want them off.........

I have even taken them off one tank and put them immediately on another tank with good results (one corner slightly loose but thankfully away from the riders touch points)

Clean tank well and let it sit out in the sun if it is cool outside, the warmer the better up to about 110*, it makes application so much easier than doing it on a 50 or 60* tank surface

all I did to most of them was make sure the surface was clean and dry (soap and water) but a few I did prep with brake cleaner......... My personal bike, I had several coats of wax and just put it over that to see how well it would work, maybe 65,000 miles later and several trackdays and they have nnot budged

Reactions: PhotoAl and RJ2112

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had this set sitting on the shelf for about a year now. Still undecided if I want to put them on. I like the look without on my 636 (matte silver with the black stripe down the tank) buuuuut I think they may help hanging off the bike. My leathers aren’t bad for it though.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The kit is here, I’ll install in a couple of days. I’m torn on the lower sections; the main panels for the tank sides I’m sure I will install. I cover the majority of the tank with my magnetic tank bag anyway.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think they may help hanging off the bike.
You got that right Assman....they most definitely will help with that. You’re going to wonder why you didn’t install them sooner once you see how well they work when you’re ripping through the twisties with ease. Just do it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
You got that right Assman....they most definitely will help with that. You’re going to wonder why you didn’t install them sooner once you see how well they work when you’re ripping through the twisties with ease. Just do it!
I am persuaded.(y)

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the bike out for 150- odd miles of romping around on the back roads and I can say that the extra traction at the tank did help.... it's still a bit more of a load on the forearms than I would like; if I can get a response from Woodcraft I will place an order with them to bring the bars up near the height they were before the seat pad.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got a response from Woodcraft, will talk further with them Tuesday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts