Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here adjusted the tappets on an 03 type engine?
I am a car mechanic and im thinking of doing them myself:coocoo ive done plenty of akward car engine tappets before and i guess they cant be too dis-similar.
i reckon if i take it to my local kwak dealer they might just take a little listen and do nothing else but hand me a big bill,
so i want to know if there are any do's or dont's.
can any1 tell me if they are shims or manual screw type adjuster?,(shims i would guess),
will i need to drain the coolant?,
will i need anymore parts other than shims and a cam cover gasket?
how long will it take to do?,could they be done in a day considering i will need to get shims,(i will check to see if the dealer keeps various size shims in stock)if it is a big job i would like to wait til' winter and do it while i cant ride it,my bike has done nearly 9k miles and i think they are supposed to be done @ 8k miles :confused ,is it important to do them earlier rather than later?:O
A TAPPY TAPPET IS A HAPPY TAPPET!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have not yet done them on my 05.. So I could not tell you as of yet, I have done them on a TLR a few times.. Have you Downloaded the shop manual yet from the file vault??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i did download the file all looks quite simple unless you need to replace a shim cos' you then have to remove the timing chain and cams,unless kwak do a special tool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts