Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Tank pad removal

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  GregS 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to get the tank pad and stickers off? I'm sure its bonded on! Crazy strong glue!!

#2 ·
head gun(be supppper careful as not to roast it to bad)
or, safer option that you probably have,
blow-dryer on high heat.

heat it up, and start around the edges and slowly work your way around.

#6 ·
yeah try to use something like a old credit card/gift card or some other soft plastic to work you way under it to get to started, then keep the heat on it and slowly try and peel it off.

#8 ·
After you remove the pad do not use goo gone. Use a claybar instead, as there's no need to put chemicals on your clearcoat if you don't have to.

As far as the decals, I'm not certain since I don't know the year of your bike - but it's likely they are underneath the clearcoat. Kawi's been doing that for awhile.

#11 ·
I know a better option to all of the above...

Rather than putting anything on your tank you can use simple gaffa tape (Carpet tape)

Firstly, use a blow dryer and start to apple some heat to the tank pad. once its very warm when you touch it try to peel the edge off with your nail. You shouldn't need any credit card or hard material. The residue underneath the tank pad should now be very soft and should allow you to lift the pad.

When you are peeling the pad off don't just rip it off. Keep applying the heat at the area that is lifting so you don't leave as much residue behind.

Once its off and you see that there are still residue left on the tank, DONT stress!

This is when you get the Gaffa Tape. Ensure that the left over residue is always hot/warm and rip off roughly 20cm's of tape and apply it on the area with residue. with your finger tips push down and rub the tape on the tank to ensure tis got a good grip. then grab one end of the tape and lift it off.

You should have nothing left behind.

You can then re-apply your new tank pad.

Once you are done, Get yourself some good quality wax and wax your entire tank.

I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.