Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I need to take the engine off in order to reset the timing on the cam chain?

I lost the timing on a ZX6R during a valve adjustment when I took off the camshaft cover which took the exhaust camshaft with it. As a result, the chain came off the sprocket before I could make timing marks on the inside of the sprocket.

To avoid taking the engine off to get the timing right, I'm wondering if it's reliable to draw the "in" and "ex" marks that are on the outside of the cam sprocket on the inside of the cam sprockets so I can see the In/ex levels against the valve cover level from the inside of the bike. I posted a video question below to make this more clear. This was my first valve adjustment. Everything else was going fine. Thank you so much!

@laggy311 The youtube content creator "Mountain Fabrication and Off Road" referred me to you on this forum as someone who is knowledgeable about bikes. I had asked him the same question on youtube. Thank you, in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Would I need to take the engine off in order to reset the timing on the cam chain?

I lost the timing on a ZX6R during a valve adjustment when I took off the camshaft cover which took the exhaust camshaft with it. As a result, the chain came off the sprocket before I could make timing marks on the inside of the sprocket.

To avoid taking the engine off to get the timing right, I'm wondering if it's reliable to draw the "in" and "ex" marks that are on the outside of the cam sprocket on the inside of the cam sprockets so I can see the In/ex levels against the valve cover level from the inside of the bike. I posted a video question below to make this more clear. This was my first valve adjustment. Everything else was going fine. Thank you so much!

@laggy311 The youtube content creator "Mountain Fabrication and Off Road" referred me to you on this forum as someone who is knowledgeable about bikes. I had asked him the same question on youtube. Thank you, in advance!

You don’t need to take the engine out. Yes, you can mark a line on the inside of the sprocket. Just triple check it and check it again with a mirror after you reinstall the cams and don’t forget to count the links on the chain. Make sure to take the timing plugs out down by the crank to make sure you are at TDC when you put the chain back on.

On an unrelated note, are you the jew hater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need to take the engine out. Yes, you can mark a line on the inside of the sprocket. Just triple check it and check it again with a mirror after you reinstall the cams and don’t forget to count the links on the chain. Make sure to take the timing plugs out down by crank to make sure you are at TDC when you put the chain back on.

On an unrelated note, are you the jew hater?

To answer that last question, no, I am not a jew hater.

I'm relieved to hear you say this. I tried all the checks you mentioned: using mirrors to check the TDC marks on the outer side of the sprockets, marks on the inner-side of the sprockets, and counting pins. I couldn't get all three to agree, nor did it match the diagram in the manual. When I counted 28 pins, the TDC marks weren't perfectly level. When I got the marks level, I counted 29 pins as opposed to 28 pins.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I feel like I need a second set of eyes on this timing, or I might just take it into the shop.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It is difficult to keep the chain from jumping off of the intake sprocket just before reinstalling the chain tensioner. That’s probably why you keep counting an extra pin. Use your hand to keep the chain from jumping a tooth on the sprocket while you install the tensioner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is difficult to keep the chain from jumping off of the intake sprocket just before reinstalling the chain tensioner. That’s probably why you keep counting an extra pin. Use your hand to keep the chain from jumping a tooth on the sprocket while you install the tensioner.

I see what you're saying and that's sound advice, but I haven't gotten to the stage of installing the CCT yet. Should I be? This is all happening when the camshafts are still totally free to move. It seems like, when the camshafts are free, eyeballing the TDC marks against he cylinder head is a unreliable and a bit shifty. The position of each camshaft shifts: sometimes it's higher above the horizon of the cylinder head, sometimes lower. It'll depend on how the camshafts happen to be sitting on the cylinder head at any given time. Also, judging the outer TDC marks on the exhaust sprocket is next to impossible because of how deep it is against the wall of the frame and some cables that run by. All I can really use is the markings I make on the inside of the sprocket.

Fuhhhh... I'll figure this out lol. Thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The cams will look off without the tensioner installed. As long as the exhaust and the crank marks line up and you’ve counted the links, you should be good. Install the cams, count the links, check the marks (should be pretty close) (make sure to check the crank position mark as well), install the tensioner, then recheck everything. All 3 marks should be damn near spot on. If you’re off, it will be obvious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cams will look off without the tensioner installed. As long as the exhaust and the crank marks line up and you’ve counted the links, you should be good. Install the cams, count the links, check the marks (should be pretty close) (make sure to check the crank position mark as well), install the tensioner, then recheck everything. All 3 marks should be damn near spot on. If you’re off, it will be obvious.

You have given me new life lol. That makes sense. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You have given me new life lol. That makes sense. Thanks brother.
One thing I forgot to mention is to pull the chain tight between the exhaust sprocket and the sprocket on the crank to take out the slack on that side before lining up the marks. You’ll get it eventually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For sure. That's a good tip.

Hey man can I just ask, when you say if I'm off it will be obvious, what would I be looking for? Thanks again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
For sure. That's a good tip.

Hey man can I just ask, when you say if I'm off it will be obvious, what would I be looking for? Thanks again.
If everything is set correctly, the timing marks will be pretty damn close to where they are supposed to be. If you are off by one tooth on the intake cam, the timing mark will be around 10 degrees (I’m not sure what the exact math is)off on either side of where it’s supposed to be. That’s a lot. You’ll be able to tell just by looking at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If everything is set correctly, the timing marks will be pretty damn close to where they are supposed to be. If you are off by one tooth on the intake cam, the timing mark will be around 10 degrees (I’m not sure what the exact math is)off on either side of where it’s supposed to be. That’s a lot. You’ll be able to tell just by looking at it.

Awesome. I"ll give it a go.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Keep in mind until the cams are actually held in the final position via the cam caps and all the bolts tight- the lines will never line up correctly

It is a dance, and until you learn the moves it is a very laborious dance at that............

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind until the cams are actually held in the final position via the cam caps and all the bolts tight- the lines will never line up correctly

It is a dance, and until you learn the moves it is a very laborious dance at that............
That helps quite a bit. Thank you. I've been trying to perfect the levels before tightening it all down. Now I know I shouldn't expect that and will have to just go for it. If it turns out the levels aren't good, I'll just do it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts