Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I can remember when it was 55 end to end

I had thought it was mostly 30 and 40 last time I was there? but what the hell do I know that was a few years ago...
Surely someone on here lives close and rides it enough to know what these changes really mean

8 Minnesotans just left Tuesday to ride there for about a week, hope these new changes don't catch them out. With new change usually comes extra enforcement

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Not a lot of real changes for us, The part we run has been 30mph since around 2007.
Before that it was 55, (I think, Rick proly knows better) I've heard years ago it was 65.

The good news here is the ban on big trucks. Badly needed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a lot of real changes for us, The part we run has been 30mph since around 2007.
Before that it was 55, (I think, Rick proly knows better) I've heard years ago it was 65.

The good news here is the ban on big trucks. Badly needed.
I used to drive it with my 1993 240-Z back before anyone hardly anyone knew about it. Lived in Winston-Salem at the time & also used to drive the BRP & all the twisties around Boone & other western NC areas. I don't recall seeing speed limit signs on most small "back roads" in those days. :butbut:

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
I used to drive it with my 1993 240-Z back before anyone hardly anyone knew about it. Lived in Winston-Salem at the time & also used to drive the BRP & all the twisties around Boone & other western NC areas. I don't recall seeing speed limit signs on most small "back roads" in those days. :butbut:
We call them the good ol days Rick.

The first 5-7 years I went to the dragon, there were no cops. Every now & then you might have seen one.

Reactions: Rickthefix

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just went there this past weekend. My 76th trip. Used to be 55 mph limit then 40 for about a year and 30 since about 2003 or so. Plenty of LEO's by Sunday afternoon. Only saw one get stopped but was only there 3 hours. So crowded with S2000's, Jeeps?, Subarus, etc. Could never ride fast long at all. One BRZ did a good job of hanging with us. He said that it was totally set up for the track with over 300 hp at the wheel, lowered, etc. Unfortunately the dangerous part of the trip was a pickup truck taking all 3 of us out 50 miles from home. It was my 24 year old friend Alex' first Gap trip but he is still in a coma. Lesson- it's not always the Dragon that bites you on a Dragon trip.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Watch 129 photos Dragon pass to give you an idea of what's possible. He hits about 125 I think in a short straight. 600 racebike R6

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been to Tail of the Drago twice so far, coming all the way from cold Canada. It's a 12 hour drive for us but totally worth it as we stay there for the whole week. That's a whole week of riding the Dragon and all other cool roads down there.
None of the sport bikes really follow the limit on the Dragon of course.....we def didn't, I tell you that much. Knee scrapping and all that.
First year was without any hickups. Second year I got two tickets on the dragon (two different times). One for my lights on my bike not being on and another for apparently following too close to the car in front of me (such bs). Also one guy in our group crashed on the first day on Cherohala Skyway. Long story short his vacation was over and he was air lifter in the helicopter to the hospital.
Either way, if you haven't been, you must go. But I wouldn't really recomend for novice riders. Oh! And wear full leathers there.

·
Banned
7,068 Posts
Unfortunately the dangerous part of the trip was a pickup truck taking all 3 of us out 50 miles from home. It was my 24 year old friend Alex' first Gap trip but he is still in a coma. Lesson- it's not always the Dragon that bites you on a Dragon trip.
Damn man. That's sobering. I hope your buddy recovers.

Ey3

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are looking to go out there towards the end of summer when it's not so crowded

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just went there this past weekend. My 76th trip. Used to be 55 mph limit then 40 for about a year and 30 since about 2003 or so. Plenty of LEO's by Sunday afternoon. Only saw one get stopped but was only there 3 hours. So crowded with S2000's, Jeeps?, Subarus, etc. Could never ride fast long at all. One BRZ did a good job of hanging with us. He said that it was totally set up for the track with over 300 hp at the wheel, lowered, etc. Unfortunately the dangerous part of the trip was a pickup truck taking all 3 of us out 50 miles from home. It was my 24 year old friend Alex' first Gap trip but he is still in a coma. Lesson- it's not always the Dragon that bites you on a Dragon trip.
I guess you can say the Dragon is your home Track Pucks?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts