Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals

Newbie here, first time posting a post anywhere on the internet really so excuse me if I sound so direct. Im having some issues with my tail light. I have a clear alternatives integrated LED tail light on my 05 636, the tail light went out, turn signals works, brake light works.

Anyways I took it apart and found a connector with 3 prongs, one positive prong, another labeled 13 i believe(hot for tail light), and a prong in the middle for the brake light (hot). I tested the middle prong (brake) which gave me an out put ranging from 10 to 12.5 volts upon pressing the brake. When I first hook it up, the voltage supposedly starts off at around 50v then in about 5 seconds drops down and hovers around 10-12v. Im not sure if its the multimeter or the bike, I hooked up the multimeter to the battery and it gives a solid 12.5 volts, no hoping around. I dont have any experience with multimeters so I dont know if its me the bike or the tool. But if anybody could shed some light on this that would be great.

The main problem is that the hot for the brake light is giving out a reading of any where from 6-9v, and I dont know where to start looking for what may be causing the problem. I hooked up the light to the turnsignals and both sets of brake light and running tail light LED's worked fine, so I know the LED's arnt the issue.

Im thinking its possibly the relay but I couldn't understand the instructions in the service manual on how to test it.

Anyways I guess the main question is if you where getting a reading of 6-9 volts on a line and your supposed to get 12 where would you look?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me, I have computer repair skills and will be willing to do a tuneup for whoever can contribute into solving my problem remotely if your computer needs it. Or if you live in the Tampa area I can offer some computer repair services if needed.

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
114 Posts
Look for green death (corrosion) at the connections or swollen spot in the wire could be a ground issue to.good place to start though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have somewhat the same issue with some ebay ones I purchased... the brake light is constantly on. I swapped back to my OEM and they operate correctly. I have no clue what happened. When I installed them they were working perfectly, then shit the bed after about a week. I'm an electronics guy and sure I can fix it, I'm just too lazy to do it before or after work. Shucks.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Are you sure that it is the taillights' fault?
I have the same problem very often with my stock taillight (only brake light works).
I found out that it's the ignition (where you put the key).If i turn the key very gently or in some way, the taillight and the front accent lights do not turn on.I turn the key back to the off position and repeat.Everything works...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM

First off, I would like to thank everyone again for there input,

Second I went through 4 multimeters before I found one that would give me an accurate reading, turns out that the autorange sensing multimeters will not give you and accurate or stable reading in this particular situation (they all worked fine on batteries and other wires), you must use a multimeter with a manual range selection switch, After I got one of those I found out that the hot for the tail light is giving 0v and the hot for the brake light is giving out 12.45v when depressed, I am assuming that would mean that the ground is ok since the 2 hot wires share the same ground. Any ways I will try to follow the yellow-black wire tomorrow and see if there is a break somewhere. Which means I have a lot of electrical tape to unravel.

Ill keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I know now is that there is no voltage going to the wire for the tail light, I am assuming its a break somewhere, as Ive never had any key or ignition switch problems to date.*knock on wood*

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem very often with my stock taillight (only brake light works).
I found out that it's the ignition (where you put the key).If i turn the key very gently or in some way, the taillight and the front accent lights do not turn on.I turn the key back to the off position and repeat.Everything works...
Ill try that but as of right now all I know is that there is no voltage going to the wire for the tail light, I am assuming its a break somewhere, as Ive never had any key or ignition switch problems to date.*knock on wood*

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ill try that but as of right now all I know is that there is no voltage going to the wire for the tail light, I am assuming its a break somewhere, as Ive never had any key or ignition switch problems to date.*knock on wood*
Do you have front accent lights?I don't know if it's a euro spec or not.I do and if the taillight doesn't light, they don't either.

Checked for blown fuses?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have front accent lights?I don't know if it's a euro spec or not.I do and if the taillight doesn't light, they don't either.

Checked for blown fuses?
If by front accent lights you mean the city lights up in the corners of the front headlight, there is a spot for them but the have been filled with a placeholder the US version doesn't come with those. And yes I have checked the fuses all are good. I try to look at it close to the end of the week and see if I can find a broken wire somewhere, oddly the light stopped working about 3 hours after replacing the chain and sprockets so I will try to see if anything has been broken in that area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may be right about the ignition, I spent all day today tearing apart the bike, found out I have continuity between the tail light and the wiring harness connector, which means that there are no breaks in the cable on that end.

On the opposite end all that is left to check is the wiring harness for the ignition, and the ignition module itself. I looked at the service manual which reveals that when the key is in the on position, the white wire (hot from battery) should be connected to red (tail light).

Unfortunately the sun went down so I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to get this issue resolved. I'll post an update as soon as I have one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts