Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine was watching over my baby while I was gone for a month and told me that the last time he tried to run it, he got it on but the tach needle was going up and down constantly as if it was getting turned on for the first time.

he then later couldn’t get it to start so he pulled the battery and it’s kaputski.

we’re both mechanically inclined to an extent but him more so when it comes to bikes, he’s thinking the battery was just so close to dying or gave its last breath and so it was acting up due to the battery.

Does that sound right to you guys or should I be worried? Bikes never been dropped or had any other serious problems. What do you think?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine was watching over my baby while I was gone for a month and told me that the last time he tried to run it, he got it on but the tach needle was going up and down constantly as if it was getting turned on for the first time.

he then later couldn’t get it to start so he pulled the battery and it’s kaputski.

we’re both mechanically inclined to an extent but him more so when it comes to bikes, he’s thinking the battery was just so close to dying or gave its last breath and so it was acting up due to the battery.

Does that sound right to you guys or should I be worried? Bikes never been dropped or had any other serious problems. What do you think?

thanks guys!
A multimeter can tell the tale..... The shop manual for your bike is available on this site for free. Well worth the money. Instructions on how to check it out are in there.

Odds are good the battery is done if it's more than a few years old...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Batter is definitely toast, won’t hold a charge when trying to charge it.

I was more curious about the tach needle going up and down which I’ve never seen before.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Batter is definitely toast, won’t hold a charge when trying to charge it.

I was more curious about the tach needle going up and down which I’ve never seen before.
Install new fully charged battery then test the charging system output........

and check tach operation, obviously the bad battery needs to be replaced no matter what (and high odds it fixes your tach issue, but if it doesn't atleast you eliminated one bad apple that needs to be eliminated)

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, so I’ll post back once the new battery goes in and let you know.

thank you :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know, so it’s likely that’s all it is, we’ll know in a couple of days. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts