Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
So today was Indian demo day at a local dealer. Being retired and having nothing better to do I went and rode an Indian FTR. WOW it was different than I expected and in a good way. First thing I noticed was how small and light it felt. I'm not talking about light in comparison to a big heavy bike I'm talking light to sit on it and go wow it is easy to move sided to side and light. The think weighs 480 pounds. LOL the first time I went for 2nd gear I had a hard time till I remembered no quick shifter. My bike has a quick shifter up and I use it when accelerating hard but not all the time. The big V twin with tons of low RPM torque was interesting. I kept shifting lower and lower and it still responded. Was really difficult for me as I typically shift by engine sound and this was totally different. Instrument panel was LCD and nicely done with a tach around a digital speed readout. Dint have time on the demo ride to really acclimate to the low speed torque but really enjoyed it. The leader was on a "normal" Indian cruiser and when he took off I had no trouble catching him. I had plenty of power and seemed like it would have been a blast to ride - not a hooligan bike but just a fun bike to ride. Fun part was didn't take any real effort or focus to keep it balanced, kind of like riding a motorcycle version of my scooter - just get on and ride but it turn in like a sport bike and seemed to like to go around corners. The lack of any wind protection was noticeable at 70MPH. Don't think I would enjoy riding long distances but the airflow was smooth which is nicer than a poorly designed windscreen which buffets. I've always liked the Indian Scout but this was the first time Ive actually ridden with any Indian or HD. I rode a Ducati Diavel one time and it was totally different - it needed to be told firmly when and how to turn. I got off that bike thinking OK if you like it but not for me. The FTR was a bike I could see myself owning if I had more than one bike.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts