Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I currently ride a 13 ZX6R and haven't really tried anything else. I was thinking of either eventually replacing or getting an additional naked bike for a bit more comfortable longer rides. Perhaps something like a Z900 or FZ09, etc.

Has anyone switched from a sportbike to a naked or maybe have both? If so, what are some of the pros and cons? Is the naked still as much fun to ride?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don’t do it...it’s horrible having to choose your favorite child

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Hey All,

I currently ride a 13 ZX6R and haven't really tried anything else. I was thinking of either eventually replacing or getting an additional naked bike for a bit more comfortable longer rides. Perhaps something like a Z900 or FZ09, etc.

Has anyone switched from a sportbike to a naked or maybe have both?

Proper # Bikes = N + 1

N = number of bikes you currently own

If so, what are some of the pros and cons?

Is the naked still as much fun to ride?

There is no such thing as a motorcycle that is not fun. Ride them all. Enjoy them all. Be one with them all. They all have their pros and cons. It's much more fun to learn them on your own. I highly suggest trying the equation above. :bigthumb:
Is there anything that isn't fun to ride when you're naked?

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
OP, it's considerably better to broaden your experience. I've owned standards, cruisers,sport bikes, sport touring bikes. Haven't owned a dual sport, or a supermotard, can't bring myself to own a full on touring bike.

1,000 lb bikes do not appeal to me. Light, nimble, comfortable..... Then I'll ride it, a lot.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,485 Posts
They're all fun man.

Bikes are like pussy.

They're ALL fun. You just might not want to get caught on some.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
OP, it's considerably better to broaden your experience. I've owned standards, cruisers,sport bikes, sport touring bikes. Haven't owned a dual sport, or a supermotard, can't bring myself to own a full on touring bike.

1,000 lb bikes do not appeal to me. Light, nimble, comfortable..... Then I'll ride it, a lot.
You should go just take a demo on a newer Gold Wing. Seriously.... they're huge and pushing 900lbs. Get them over 3mph and nimble as phuck.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
They're all fun man.

Bikes are like pussy.

They're ALL fun. You just might not want to get caught on some.
Hell man I'll ride scooters too! I don't care who sees me on them!

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
You should go just take a demo on a newer Gold Wing. Seriously.... they're huge and pushing 900lbs. Get them over 3mph and nimble as phuck.
The motor is as big as the one in my Corolla, it costs more than my Corolla, gets probably worse MPG.......

My metrics for motorcycles include that they should cost 1/2 what a car does. I also desire 1/4 mile times well under 13 seconds, and insurance rates that don't cause me to sacrifice things to meet the premium.

If there were a demo available, I'd do it, just because I could.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Paid $430 for the year with progressive for my FZ

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
^^ that's near and dear to my heart..... Dirt bike like suspension travel is a revelation for anyone who has not experienced it. Amazing how much smoother things are, when any bump less than 8-10" is erased.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
The motor is as big as the one in my Corolla, it costs more than my Corolla, gets probably worse MPG.......

My metrics for motorcycles include that they should cost 1/2 what a car does. I also desire 1/4 mile times well under 13 seconds, and insurance rates that don't cause me to sacrifice things to meet the premium.

If there were a demo available, I'd do it, just because I could.
Oh I'm right there with you.

However. I may feel differently when I'm 65 and want to ride across the country with my buddies. My old man picked up his 2015 GL1800 used with 2800 miles on it for about $16k in Arkansas. Basically about half what it was new. When you consider that it'll handle a highway with ease, twisty roads are actually fun on it, and it still gets about 35mpg or better depending on load and wind it's not a bad thing at all. I've taken a weekend trip on one and the only thing that I didn't like was that I didn't have a back rest.

But I can't say it wasn't a blast to cruise that flagship!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am at that point where I'm ready to add an addition to the family. I've had my eyes set on either a z900 or an mt10. Any one have experience on these bikes and might have some input? Looking for something a tad more comfortable on longer rides while providing similar excitement like the zx6r. Getting a test ride has been hard as there is limited stock due to the pandemic. Maybe there are other bikes someone may recommend.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good choice on a bike, I just bought a Tracer GT. Longer rides? Heck I rode my '14 ZX6R 636 ABS 600 miles in one day - and I was over 60 at the time. Certainly not a naked but traded it for a BMW F800GT which was good for long trips. Had a big windscreen that let no ventilation thru on hot days but was it nice when it was 40F and raining. Had some trouble getting used to the upright position. It lasted 2 years 2 months and 14 days before it had a major bearing failure on a long trip. Fixed it and traded it on a 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT - was going to do that anyway but found the Tracer and bought it 1,400 miles from home! Now I got my smile back! When I miss the engine in the BMW i get a tin can of nuts and bolts and shake them and imagine I gathering speed instead of accelerating :) well it wasn't quite that bad but a dull engine with a lot less power than my ZX6R so never did get used to that. Tracer GT is different but love the engine, it has soul and I'm enjoying riding. BMW was great on a long trip but not much fun around town. Tracer is fun around town and I think is not as high on the radar as a super sport so not an instant attention getter. I did 5 long trips on the BMW in 26 months and have been in North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama. Biggest think I see about long trips on the FZ09 is wind protection. Naked is a smooth blast of air in the face which you may enjoy but might get tired of all day. Smooth air flow is better than buffeting from a bad windscreen. I was amazed at how much the Tracer GT beat me up with the buffeting on a 500 mile ride - well it was 96F a lot of the day. Im not into big top cases and go with just the side cases plus a duffle bag on the rear seat. New Wings are nice bikes. Had three catch and go by me in Idaho. I was running the BMW fully loaded and they were on a day ride. I was faster thru tight stuff, medium stuff we were about the same and high speed stuff they were faster - I was not familiar with the road and was not willing to take chances. They had lots of power! Amazingly nimble for what they are but not a sports bike. I like middleweight bikes, the 700 pound and up bikes just don't appeal to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My FZ09 was great fun as a street bike. Was fun on track until I put rearsets on and got my pace to the point I dragged the engine case in a corner instead. So... if you ride at that kind pace stick to the sport bike. If you ride with that pace on the street you’ll probably have bigger issues.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The naked bikes, while more comfortable, never gave me that "feeling" of a sportbike. After a couple months of owning them, I felt bored, and left wanting. I've owned a CB1000R and a Bandit 1250. It's not that I missed the speed or handling of the sportbike, but that feel of hugging that tank with the clip-ons. The very thing that makes the sportbike uncomfortable was the very thing I would yearn for, when I didn't have one.

It's as if I could ride a ZX6R for 30 minutes and get more out of it then 4 hours on a naked. Again, I can't really explain it, except the naked's leave me missing a sportbike. I guess if I was to walk into a museum of bikes, my eyes go straight to the Ducati 916 or NR750. I would walk right by all the other bikes, no matter how cool or innovative, to check out the sportbikes.

I've gone back and forth over the last 25 years, trying to find the perfect bike that does it all. Hell I even owned a KLR. What I've learned, is no matter what I owned, I wish I still had a sportbike in the garage. If you can swing it, keep the ZX6R and maybe add something a lil more comfortable for those longer rides. But when you stop for lunch, eating that burger, and your looking out at all the bikes parked, your gonna wish your ZX6R was there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Understand what you are saying! I was almost 64 when I traded my ZX6R but still miss hugging the tank with the clip-ons. To me it was not uncomfortable - rode the ZX6R 600 miles in one day - I did wand a better seat and cruse control though. Being leaned over was easier on my back as the more upright position causes more compression. Still I'm slowly getting used to it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see myself always owning sport bikes but one naked would be nice more for passengers too. I have a family member eyeing a new MT-10 so I would have access to that (even keep it in my garage in winter) which I’m kind of excited about lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts