Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Swing arm spools or nah?

3K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Manolo 
#1 ·
Pretty straight forward question - worth it or not?

Just trying to decide 'cause I've never had them in the past and I'm a little unclear as to what they actual protect.

#12 ·
I used to leave my vortex spools on for convenience of using a rear spool stand but they ripped off my swingarm mount in a high side. Now I have to use the swingarm lift adapters on my pit bull stand which are a bit sketchy.

#14 ·
In a lowside crash, I had swingarm slider spools on it and it saved my swingarm from being scratched. But in a highlife crash I had, it got ripped off on the other side. I got it welded back on for like 60 bucks but I had to bring it to a special person that welds aluminum. I don't ride with them on anymore.

#17 ·
exactly.

The after thought of the provisions and how they are on the outside of the swingarm on most models will do more harm than good if you have some sort of "crash protection spool slider".

IF you were going slow enough that the swingarm spool did its job and kept the bike off the ground I would argue that in the same scenario damage wouldn't have occurred to the swingarm without the spool.

However, in a legit crash I have seen the mounts for the spools snap completely away from the swingarm and the same exact thing that was supposed to protect your swingarm is now the cause of you having to replace it.

IF you are running spools get the smallest spools possible to limit how far they stick out which creates more leverage on the threaded provision in the swingarm.

#18 ·
#21 ·
The only reason my spool mount survived the crash (and it was a real crash, check my thread) is because of the angle the bike slid. I was doing 80kph at least when I went down, but because the bike slid on its in the opposite direction (wheel side forward) the spool mount stayed on. The swingarm supported the spool mount enough to keep it on and definitely saved my swingarm from destruction. But in a very very light highside I had, it slid way way way less but the opposite from last time (wheel side in) it was literally pulled it off from the swingarm. The only reason I don't have them on right now is because I don't plan on crashing again, and if I do this bike will be junked anyways. But if I had to do it all over again I would put them on because even if they do get ripped off I can always get them welded back on for cheap. Just look at that weld, you could stand on that.

#22 ·
They really aren't made for that much protection in the first place. I just get a little piece of mind by having them. Plus it's easier to pop it up on the stand with the larger spools. The spool mount is notoriously weak to begin with so I figure as long as the spool doesn't catch on anything it "should" slide and wear down like a normal frame slider.

#23 ·
I have some on my bike. I keep them on all the time, but only got them to use with my rear stand. I don't expect them to protect much in the event of a crash.

#24 ·
Like everyone else has already said, spools are not for protection at all. They're made for putting the bike on stands.

What you're thinking of are sliders.

#27 ·
Attack rear lift. That is all. Ill never use spools again. These are tucked in out of the way and I've never seen one rip off.

Reactions: Strider
#30 ·
axle sliders should stick out far enough to also protect the swing arm... def served the case in one of my accidents in the past...

Reactions: LenaLilLower
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.