Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty straight forward question - worth it or not?

Just trying to decide 'cause I've never had them in the past and I'm a little unclear as to what they actual protect.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not for protection its convieenience that I was after.. 3 different motorcycles and all share the same rear stand

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you don't have a rear stand, they serve no purpose.
I would have to disagree. Get ones that are also meant to serve as crash protection for your swingarm. I had a low-side to the left and my spool took the brunt of the damage back there. Had they not been there, I don't see how my swingarm would have made it through without getting jacked up.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I would have to disagree. Get ones that are also meant to serve as crash protection for your swingarm. I had a low-side to the left and my spool took the brunt of the damage back there. Had they not been there, I don't see how my swingarm would have made it through without getting jacked up.
I have the large, delrin abs spool sliders and they serve as crash protection for my swingarm. Also, it would be a pretty good idea to invest in a set along with a rear stand.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 2009-11 Woodcraft 10mm Swingarm Slider Spools:Amazon:Automotive

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the spools with sliders on my last bike, the dug in and snapped on a lowside. So I guess it comes down to the same old sliders vs no sliders debate.
And yes, my swing arm ended up scratched any way, and had a broken tab from the slider

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used to leave my vortex spools on for convenience of using a rear spool stand but they ripped off my swingarm mount in a high side. Now I have to use the swingarm lift adapters on my pit bull stand which are a bit sketchy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In a lowside crash, I had swingarm slider spools on it and it saved my swingarm from being scratched. But in a highlife crash I had, it got ripped off on the other side. I got it welded back on for like 60 bucks but I had to bring it to a special person that welds aluminum. I don't ride with them on anymore.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Our bodywork and exhaust makes it so we cant use a lift stand like a dirt bike or cruiser so you pretty much need these for tire changes... unless you pay a shop to do em.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If you are not going to use them for a rear stand, there is little to no point in having them as far as I'm concerned.
exactly.

The after thought of the provisions and how they are on the outside of the swingarm on most models will do more harm than good if you have some sort of "crash protection spool slider".

IF you were going slow enough that the swingarm spool did its job and kept the bike off the ground I would argue that in the same scenario damage wouldn't have occurred to the swingarm without the spool.

However, in a legit crash I have seen the mounts for the spools snap completely away from the swingarm and the same exact thing that was supposed to protect your swingarm is now the cause of you having to replace it.

IF you are running spools get the smallest spools possible to limit how far they stick out which creates more leverage on the threaded provision in the swingarm.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks - what kind do you have?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
exactly.

The after thought of the provisions and how they are on the outside of the swingarm on most models will do more harm than good if you have some sort of "crash protection spool slider".

IF you were going slow enough that the swingarm spool did its job and kept the bike off the ground I would argue that in the same scenario damage wouldn't have occurred to the swingarm without the spool.

However, in a legit crash I have seen the mounts for the spools snap completely away from the swingarm and the same exact thing that was supposed to protect your swingarm is now the cause of you having to replace it.

IF you are running spools get the smallest spools possible to limit how far they stick out which creates more leverage on the threaded provision in the swingarm.

Go ride your quad Schooley....:nana:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts