Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I did some more work today. Trying to get the tail fairing ready to be put on, a lot of work to do all this and it is slow going for some reason, probably because I only have an hour to work on it here and there. :O

Anyways here is what I did today, I sanded nearly all of it getting ready for paint

There were a crack in the 2 places sanded in this picture, and now you would never be able to tell...... other than the fact there is no paint there.

Oh yeah, by the way Sean if you cant tell by these pictures yet. I think your bike used to be green :eek:mg:

Anyways, the last thing I need to do to get it ready to be put on for a test fit is I need to find a way to fit some tabs here. I havent really thought of the easiest way to do so yet. Sooooo back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Plastic epoxy & duct tape.
Build your own tabs.
Use the duct tape to create a basic shape, fill with the epoxy & let it set for about 7 min.
Remove tape when tab is pliable. Add epoxy to ensure a strong setting.
Let it set & dry for at least 5 hrs, then sand with a Dremmel to the shape that you want.
Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, its between that or taking my flat sheet of ABS plastic and plastic welding something together. Its a project for another day.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally ordered an 03-04 seat. Scoobs is there any way you can give a little more detail on how to form my 2 seats into 1? Do you have any extra pictures?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Spent a good like 5 hours on the tail today, got it to the point where its on the bike and fits, lights work and everything with the plastic is good. Turns out using the J model seat latch is a pain in my ass. I have to cut up my old seat to get the locking pin, I could have made a new one but that would of been a huge pain.

So long story short I cut up my old and new seat, got it to the point where I can put and lock the new seat in. I need to plastic weld/glue/fiberglass the seat back together and reupholster it. After that everything will be done with the tail, all I will need to do is make the new driver seat and make the seat latch a little longer. Damn does it feel good to be close to done.

No pictures now but I will get some later.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Finally ordered an 03-04 seat. Scoobs is there any way you can give a little more detail on how to form my 2 seats into 1? Do you have any extra pictures?
no sorry no extra pics I was covered in that sticky shit ....so couldn't grab the camera .......
so how my seat is ....I cut my seat like the top of a castle .....if you get what I mean ....so it wasn't straight across as that would make the seat to weak.....
start from scratch ...you got both seat bases .....measure the b seat length as that fits up against the tank and the rear sits in the right place .......now cut the front section off it and the centre out of it .......then put the b seat base ontop of the j base mark it out and cut the same again(make shaw you keep the j seat feet that are underneath as they sit on the seat frame).......slot them together and fit it onto the bike when its spot on with a bit of trimming here and there ......fibreglass the top all together and leave it .....then when its hard a slight skim underneath and let it go hard again........then fibredisk it down and you are done .....there will be no strain on the seat as it will sit on the frame perfectly as the seat has feet underneath it ......
I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think I understand what you are saying, when I get my other seat here and tear both of them down I will draw some lines on just to make sure I dont mess it up and post them on here. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I finally got my new seat, took it apart right away. here are how the bases look.

And Scoobs I am assuming that you mean to cut them like this?

If you could let me know that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I will give that a look, I was only concerned if I did that then the rear latch point wouldnt line up? I will take a look but that does look better than my idea.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
sorry not to good with the photos and lines ...a how to but what basco put down but my up and downs bits where a lot longer .....
as remember what ever way you cut the seat you have to keep as much strength in it when the two halfs are mated together
this is how I done mine and when dried I couldn't twist it ....it was solid (the white bits are the b section).....the rest is j which I just coated it with fibreglass
sorry this is the only pic ive got like this

as for the rear lock on the seat use your J tab that bolts into the frame and extend it by about 1 inch and it will fit fine in the b section of seat

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Alright I see what you did now, thanks scoobs

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You're going bawls to the wall... I would have just had a shop make a seat pan up and than cut and shave the foam out for the seat and get some hog rings.

Coming along very nice though keep it up!

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
You're going bawls to the wall... I would have just had a shop make a seat pan up and than cut and shave the foam out for the seat and get some hog rings.

Coming along very nice though keep it up!
nah if someone does work on your bike its not really your bike ....you just ride it ....end of.......
I made me seat up from start to finish ......3 different layers of foam soft medium and hard layers and then covered it .....and it looks like it came out of a factory ......

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
nah if someone does work on your bike its not really your bike ....you just ride it ....end of.......
I made me seat up from start to finish ......3 different layers of foam soft medium and hard layers and then covered it .....and it looks like it came out of a factory ......
So my exhaust is not "mine" :unhappy:

I'm messing but I understand. Your work = more pride in your build.

I was just stating how I would have done it if I tried this task out. I'm not to fancy with fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah I decided to stay away from fiberglass on this one, I am just going to try and plastic weld it like I did all my plastic. If that fails though, which I doubt it will, I will then go with fiberglass or if plastic welding alone is not enough.

As for what scoobs said, I would never let a shop do something that I can do myself, forget that. Both money and pride have something to do with that.

But I might have a shop put foam on it and cover it if I decide that I dont want to use the original foam and go with something that feels better to sit on. And it depends on what the price of stuff costs, we will see when I get to that point.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
a mate that does trimming for a living popped up and lent me some tools and different foam to use with some fabric to cover the seat(first time ive ever done this)
i sent my wife away for the day shopping in London and attacked the seat.....by the love of god i would never do another one .....i made such a mess of the dining room ......it took me 3 hours to clear it up.......goodluck

SSGSXR ZX6R you know what i mean ........i like to see things done by my own hands not someone else as there is more satisfaction that way.......:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
a mate that does trimming for a living popped up and lent me some tools and different foam to use with some fabric to cover the seat(first time ive ever done this)
i sent my wife away for the day shopping in London and attacked the seat.....by the love of god i would never do another one .....i made such a mess of the dining room ......it took me 3 hours to clear it up.......goodluck

SSGSXR ZX6R you know what i mean ........i like to see things done by my own hands not someone else as there is more satisfaction that way.......:)
I know what you mean. I'm just a difficult cookie. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Is it going to be like the banana seats on the triumphs?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
:laugh ......... :hmm:

I will try and snag some pictures for you after work today. Shes coming along, slowly but surely.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have an update for you folks! So things go slow during the week because doing 40 hours of manual labor is tiring and drains my energy. Here is what I have done so far...

Here is my bike with the 03-04 tail on it and in the backgound my old mans harley. Say what you want about harleys but I like that one.

Undertail is also on there and lights are in

Still have to finish plastic welding my seats but they are going well and are really strong.

I wanted to keep the majority of my J seat so I did not have to mess with how it locks on. My plan has worked so far.

I even hooked up the lights, took all of like 15 minutes to change over the J plug onto the B lights.

I just hope I dont have an issue with inspections because the turn signals are integrated.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts