Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I might as well join the band wagon and do some stuff to my J, I mean everyone else is so I will do :hmmm: This will be a list, mostly for me, but also for anyone who likes build threads and ideas.

I would first like to start off by saying this thread is ONLY ideas, I have no concrete plans to follow through with any of these. But with that being said I will hopefully come through with several of them. I am planning on starting the beginning of March as I have 2 weeks off of college and a lot of free time.

As stated before this thread is mostly for me, so I can put my ideas down and get them organized, more or less in priority and always input will be needed and opinions are encouraged! So with all that being said lets begin.

This is how my bike sat when I first bought it, (give or take a couple weeks, hint its give).
Not sure why I had the mirrors off this time :O

She still sits looking about like that, after doing mostly maintenance last year, valve adjustment, new tires, new sprockets and chains.... and the usual.

This year I want to fix some more of the small issues, IE the half a million cracks in the fairings. Already fixed most of them from the back side and holding off on the front side until I fully commit to painting my bike. I still have a long ways to go with plastic welding. I need to fill the following holes and create part of my fairing as shown in the first picture.

And fill these holes.

So not too much left to plastic weld, but enough to keep me busy for a full day or 2.

After I fix all the holes and cracks in my fairings and before I paint, I need to decide on whether I want to do the tail fairing swap to an 03 model. I like it a lot more and I think Scoobs sold me on doing it. Here is his guide he made a little while back.
http://zx6r.com/guides/22457-how-change-j-rear-b-rear.html
Doesnt she look purdy with that b tail? So SSGSXR ZX6R reply to me with a shipping price pleasssseeeee!

Okay so after I do all that and prep and shizniz I will be painting it. Here is the planned paint job, this was designed by zvenkruspe and I give her full credit for it. I simply asked her kindly if I could steal her idea :devious

Well that is what I am hoping to accomplish during spring break. After that I have several more plans, I am not a huge fan of my chrome frame and kind of want to paint it black but not sure yet, I want to see how it looks before painting it.

Here are my ideas that are less concrete, I want to convert my gauge cluster to an 03-04 cluster, so if you have one for sale hit me up.
Here is a thread on the swap How To: 03-06 636 gauges on a G and J model 600 : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

The last Idea that I have is to chop my exhaust so you can not see it. If we look at this picture imagine the exhaust, can, was underneath the bike just pointed out so it doesn't put exhaust on the tire. My plan is to get a new set of headers (I think they are cheap on ebay :O I would have to look again). I would cut the headers so I can put the can on underneath my bike pointed out where the fairing ends, or a little bit after it. I dont know if this would work and I would need you guy's input on this one.

Hopefully this read did not take as long as it took to write it, I dont know how you guys who write guides can do such a good job. Anyways thanks for reading and please tell me what you think and tell me your input.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I like the paint concept!!

For the exhaust you should do something like this

But warning it will be loud

Reactions: MasterTurkey

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazymater That is the exact look I am looking for! But my plan was to trim the headers a little and make them shorter so I can fit a can in there so it isn't super loud. I dont know how much room is under there but im sure I could fit a short can under there.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Might be able too gonna be a little bit tight if your keeping the fairing on.

I built my own, it took the high pitch out of it and gave it a little deeper sound. But still loud
Before I welded it on

What the inside pipe looked like

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks really loud, It must look really clean having a no exhaust look. That is what I am going for as I feel my bike would look so much cleaner without an exhaust.

Do you have any pictures of the bike with the fairings on?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered myself a sheet of ABS plastic, 12"x12"x3/32" I hope that is the size I need. I should get it in about 3 days and will have fairings that are in perfect condition, minus paint, by the end of the week! Anyone know if it will hurt plastic welding in 40 degree weather, the rapid heating and cooling of the plastic?

Still waiting to hear word on the 03 tail plastic :hmmm: In the mean time anyone know where I can buy an undertail for 03-04? And anyone need an 98-02 tail plastic and seat?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got my flat sheet of plastic today, this weekend will be a lot of plastic welding. pictures to come!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah you'll have it.

Let my kid come first. I'll be taking the tail off this weekend for ya.

We should see who's custom exhuast will be louder :nana:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That looks really loud, It must look really clean having a no exhaust look. That is what I am going for as I feel my bike would look so much cleaner without an exhaust.

Do you have any pictures of the bike with the fairings on?
No I don't its on my fighter and it doesn't have fairings!! :devious but my buddy just got a j2 so I might doing a custom exhaust for him

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We should see who's custom exhuast will be louder :nana:
:eek: I am trying to stay somewhat quite, I am already on the polices top wanted list so dont want another reason to be pulled over. Maybe a "little" bit louder and I will be happy :devious

that paint job looks real clean
I agree, complete props go out to zvenkruspe. I had nothing to do with designing this paint job, other than telling her I want green and black because it was originally yellow and black

No I don't its on my fighter and it doesn't have fairings!! :devious but my buddy just got a j2 so I might doing a custom exhaust for him
You will have to post up some pictures and a video for me because if its anything like your other exhaust I will be in love. :drool:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright its been a while since I've given an update, because I only have a couple hours on the weekends to work, if that much time, due to school :rant . Anyways this is old material but it was in a different thread but if anyone wants to see about where I am here it is.

http://zx6r.com/motorcycle-talk/40470-motorcycle-fairing-repair-plastic-welding.html

Still waiting to receive the 03 tail to fit that on. I have my fairings close to done, just some minor cracks left to fill in and sand. Then I am going to need to wait a little while to get some cash money to pay for some paint.

Question I have for you folks is how you think my frame would look white over polished aluminium, I an not really feeling the polished look. Never really did. I dont want black because I will have enough black on my bike with the paint job anyways. Let me know!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am long over due for an update, its just been really slow with school and all. I am finishing up on thursday so things should pick up really fast!

So here is where I am at, I have been doing a lot of plastic work to one of my fairings, the one that was really only in bad shape, and it was in awful shape.

How it looks now.

This crack went all the way across, fixed that up really well!

The circled part was actually missing, I made a piece to go in there, it looks nearly perfect.

I fixed the frame slider hole, it was done poorly and I am going to cut it perfectly.

Here you can see another piece that I have put on but not sanded yet, its going to look good.

I made this entire top piece, shown in my plastic welding how to thread.

This is the last bit that I will have to fix and this fairing is done!

Now onto what everyone wants to see, even though I have done very little so far. Here she is torn down to the subframe

Took this stupid black plastic piece off, this thing is extremely long.

Took the subframe off, I should just leave it without a tail on it, can someone say bad ass?

Here is the subframe cut up and how she is going to sitting until hopefully tomorrow.

I need to make a couple brackets to hold the plastic on tomorrow and hopefully that will be easy. I should have just bought the bracket I need but meh, it will only take a couple hours. Still trying to figure out how I will make the seat and everything fit, its hard when your just reading words and not really being told what to do. So many questions but hopefully I will get answers the more I look at it. I will keep you folks posted! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you have an 03-04 seat pan you can just cut the two pans in half and mold the front of the J pan to the rear of the B pan either by plastic welding or fiberglassing. You will need to shape your own foam and then either get a custom cover made or mod your J cover as it's larger than the B

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is also possible to use the B seat but it doesn't fit up too well with the J tank

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I have to order a 03-04 seat pan soon here. And my best friends mom can make seat covers and my old hockey coach can embroider them for me. So I think I am going to put a green ZX-6r on the back of my seat. Shes coming along, slowly but surely.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
if you cut the seat straight across ....that's no good as the finished base will be weak .......what you got to do which is I think the best way cut it in a sort of castle shape so you have the sides and back of a b seat and the centre and front section of the j seat ....glass those together and will be a lot stronger

1 - 20 of 48 Posts