Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Suspension

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  alor14582 
#1 ·
I need to get my suspension done. It's not only a need now, I dream about it. I get kidney pain on bumpy roads and on most I have to stand on my pegs to stop me getting incredibly angry. I've also had quite a few close calls because of suspension. I'd sell my first born child for a plush ride so I thought I'd get in early before it came to that.

I want to buy a second hand shock from the US of A because it's well, cheaper. I've found quite a few Ohlins shocks for just over $1000 AUD and they cost $1800 in the shops here. I do have a problem with the second hand shock thing though. I weigh 48kg (105lbs) so I need a pretty damn soft spring. I can get a brand new WP 3 Way shock with a spring to suit my weight for $980 AUD including shipping. So I'm pondering my options here.

1. Get new spring for my stocker and leave it at that
2. Second hand Ohlins (Better than WP??) + Buy different spring
3. Brand new WP with spring set to my weight
4. Different brand completely.

Any of the options above will be installed by a local suspension shop who I'm hoping can do something about the front forks and tune everything in for me. I'm leaning towards the WP but getting an Ohlins (kind of) near the same price is creating a tug war in my head. I'd love an Elka because they are a beautiful shock but can't seem to find them cheap. Dammit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else have aftermarket shocks on their streetbike? Got pics?

See less See more
#2 ·
Uh, I have no idea, you seem to know a lot more about suspension than I do!!

#3 ·
I dont know if they do it in Aussie is but in FL you can go to a shop and have ur front shock rebuild with new springs and cartiages for $550us and re do the rear shock for $330us and something you can try is gettin your suspension set to your weight which i got done yesterday it cost between $50-100us depends on where you go. THe 50 dollar weight set up made my biike and my friends ten carry us better, it wasnt as bummpy and it didnt dip down in the front as hard, overall its the best 50 dollars i spend on the bike, its not a magic cure all but i think it will help you alot because u are so light the bike is set to some one about 150 or so, so witht that being said it is bucking you because you dont have enough weight to stop major rebounding, hope this makes sense if not i will reexplain but bottom line u need to adjust ur bike to ur bike first then if that doesnt work REbuild ur forks and shocks becuase the new ones and the ohilins will have the same weigth problem,

#4 ·
the most important thing is to get the right spring on there for your weight!

i'd take an ohlins over a WP, but i hear elka are very good. Elka is really cheap here in the states, try Lindemann suspension (sp?) le-supsension.com

they also sell penske which is a great shock as well. if they won't ship to you, i'll even relay the shipping down to yah. there's suspension shops that'll rebuild your stock stuff too. Steve might know one in Oz. If you were really bling, get a Ti spring while you're at it. Only a little bit more scratch, and 4lbs off the bike. :devious

ps. traxxion is another good american suspension place, might be worth a look.

-:banana

#5 ·
Kylie,

I have a friend who had her original shockie revalved and a lighter spring put in... I can find out where she got it done if you like. She sold that bike and sent the revalved shockie to me (i will eventually get around to installing it too).

Nothing worse than coming round a corner, hitting a small bump and ending up on the tank... :banghead

There's also a bloke in North Brissy called Alex (LAE racing) who could help you out. He has sorted a few mates of mine on the 03-04 6R's like ours.

HTH

#6 ·
Yep, proper spring rate and valving really make a big difference. Even re-valved/sprung stock units would be much better than ohlins stuff with standard valving.

If it were me, I'd probably just send the stock components out to a good suspension shop and have them work their magic. It usually runs ~150-200 for a re-valve/rebuild for each end. Springs will be another hundred or so for each end (USD all around).

have fun

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.