Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. :naughty: I am trying to figure out how Marc Marquez has his suspension set up, any ideas? I have been trying to figure this out for the past month. To me it looks like he is coming within fractions of bottoming out his front during trailbrake, but when he accelerates it looks like the back does not compress or decompress much at all. How does this work?

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
Does it really matter?? GP bikes and GP riders are a whole different world! Not to mention, they don't release that info outside the team so that others don't learn from them. In other words, you will never know the answer to that question unless you work on the HRC MotoGP team.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Does it really matter?? GP bikes and GP riders are a whole different world! Not to mention, they don't release that info outside the team so that others don't learn from them. In other words, you will never know the answer to that question unless you work on the HRC MotoGP team.
Wait, you mean I can't copy suspension settings from a 240HP prototype motorcycle and have it work on my mass manufactured Japanese ZX6?

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,598 Posts
It'll work my buddy at mmi said so

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it matter? IDK but like I said just looking for ideas. I am thinking that upping the oil level in the front forks would allow for a softer main travel and then a steep ramp up towards the bottom. My buddy at MMI sez not enough horse torques to even worry about dat chit, u needz to runs amssoils.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is my first post. :naughty: I am trying to figure out how Marc Marquez has his suspension set up, any ideas? I have been trying to figure this out for the past month. To me it looks like he is coming within fractions of bottoming out his front during trailbrake, but when he accelerates it looks like the back does not compress or decompress much at all. How does this work?
Um.. correctly for his bike and riding style...:devious:devious:devious

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Welcome

No doubt that MM has a team of mechanics and engineers working on his bike that change the the suspension settings every race and even changing conditions (i.e. Rain).

Rather than the suspension set up, you might want to think about the training he has received to get where he is. Have you ever seen him on a Dirt Track? :eek: MM could probably approach your local track record on the bike you have now. It's funny how he takes the speed with him from bike to bike. He brings the training he has learned over the years with him.

Be like Marc Marquez, not his bike.

Get the training. You'll know when the bike is holding you back.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
The rear suspensions' action under acceleration is termed 'squat' and has a lot to do with the angle of the chain with respect to the front and rear sprocket when the bike is under power. Because the sprockets are different sizes, the tops of the sprockets are not level, when the swing arm is. The part of the sprockets that are doing all the work are the teeth involved in the top 'run' of chain.

This is why bikes at that level of racing have eccentric pivots for the swing arm..... they can change the angle, by rotating the eccentric in the pivot point. That moves the front of the swing arm 'up' or 'down' with respect to the center of the pivot point, which changes how much the pulling of the chain interacts with the suspension's action.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anti squat is engineered into pretty much every bike. That why the rear doesn't compress on acceleration.
If you're looking for ideas just do some research on suspension tuning. There's tons of good info out there from Dave Moss, Traxxion and others.

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
Wait, you mean I can't copy suspension settings from a 240HP prototype motorcycle and have it work on my mass manufactured Japanese ZX6?
Even if it was the same exact bike model I wouldn't do it! lol...when I was in Colorado racing with MRA one weekend, I was pitted next to a guy who had just bought Jake Gagne's old R6 that he raced in AMA. This guy also had an R6 that he built for himself and said he was faster on that than Gagne's bike because Gagne's had super stiff suspensions, especially forks. I can't remember the exact numbers, but Gagne weighed like 40-50 lbs less than this dude, and the springs in his forks were like 2 sizes stiffer than what this guy had in his. But Gagne needed that because he was WAY faster and he was really pushing the front end hard on the brakes...most of us amateurs can't do that. I reckon I'd be faster on my average zx6r than on Sofouglu's WSS ZX6R! :)

Does it matter? IDK but like I said just looking for ideas. I am thinking that upping the oil level in the front forks would allow for a softer main travel and then a steep ramp up towards the bottom. My buddy at MMI sez not enough horse torques to even worry about dat chit, u needz to runs amssoils.
What?? What are horse torques?? lol

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,598 Posts
Don't cheap out bruh, get the new carbon ducati forks.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You gotta put the Repsol stickers on your ZX6R first. Then come back and we'll talk.

Reactions: scoot33

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks RJ, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Well, it does compress on my 2013 zx6r.
Your bike doesn't compress on acceleration. Why don't you put it on a rear stand, get it in gear, then whack the throttle open? And record this. Then post it up so we can all see the seat/tail section actually rising, not squatting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts